Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up this love seat for $10.00 at a yard sale, it has swastika
printed material on it. Pretty weird, huh...Hope to re-upholster it, but may keep the old
material there, as a time capsule.
The close-up picture isn't very clear, sorry.

The pink material is over the black and tan material.
lacyj

·
Registered
376 Posts
What a very nice looking piece of furniture. Is the nazi fabric intact? I wonder if that fabric doesn't predate the second world war. I seem to remember reading that the symbol had some other meaning or no meaning. Maybe sorta like paisley. Another posibility is that it may be a war trophy brought back by some G.I. and may have been taken from some sort of nazi headquarters or an important officials home.
I would have it looked at before doing anything rash to it. Perhaps the Antiques Roadshow will come by your place soon.
Kirk

·
Registered
9,511 Posts
I would have it looked at too. Never know about this stuff....better safe than sorry. Could be worth some bucks, or nothing at all.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Before WW2, the swatstika was a symbol for PEACE of all things. Hah.

Cait, the trivia hound

·
Premium Member
13,158 Posts
I beleive the Finnish nation use or used a swastika like symbol, in pale blue, it is certainly a corrupted emblem today. I used to collect British Comonwealth badges medals etc. and wasn't very interested in Nazi stuff but there's more items familiar looking in that fabric than just the swastica. Beside the paterned cross with the swastica in it, is one with what looks like the German military insignia used on aircraft and vehicles a stylized cross made out of "L"s. The roses and poppies between those crosses look vaguely like military patterns too. I'm no expert, but I'd have it looked at but someone who is. Funny whats worth money and whats not.

U

·
0 Posts
The swastika symbol also is found on many Native American (Navaho) artifacts. I think it depicts motion of life according to the 4 seasons. The fabric is probably from the 1920’s.

·
I'm back
1,366 Posts
That's real pretty!!! My kinda find!!

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Before WW2, the swatstika was a symbol for PEACE of all things. Hah.
Also good luck & best wishes. I collect old postcard & many from the early 1900s have it as part of the design. In Portland, Oregon, there are several pre-WW2 houses that have the swastika disign in the brick chimneys.

God bless,
Bonnie

·
Registered
98 Posts
There is a Federal building here in Albany NY with swastikas on it. It was a very common symbol.

·
Registered
918 Posts
The same figure predates Hitler by more than 700 years in Chinese designs. Has a good life meaning there. Glen

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
I think I heard that the symbol was used by the Norsemen as a symbol for centuries. It looks a bit like Thor's hammer. The frame of the loveseat is beautiful!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts