Yanmar Tractor info needed

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Torch, May 25, 2004.

1. Torch

Torch Well-Known Member

In the piney woods of the great state of Texas.
    I'm in a real pickle here and thought you guys (and gals) might be able to help me.

I'm in the process of buying 9 acres with a house, barn, etc. and this will be my first time to live outside of the city. Finally!

Anyway, as you all can imagine all this country talk is new to me. Septic system, water well, propane tank, pond, barn, pool (ok, not exactly a country thing but this house has one and I've never had one before), and tractor.

The seller has agreed to include the tractor and I'm having a hard time valueing the thing. Here is how it is described in the contract I'll let you guys tell me what it might be worth. As far as condition goes it 'looks' new and not beat up. It is 12 years old and stored in a shed.

"Yanmar Model #YM186 diesel tractor plus implements (brushog, finishing mower, blade scoop and blade)"

Also, I'm going out for the home inspection on Friday and since the tractor is included I'll be looking it over too. What should I be looking for? Any tips on how I can gauge it's condition? How about the implements?

Thanks in advance,

Michael

2. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

you need to ck. the hour meter, also belt/hoses and the tires then look at the fluids they should be clean and test the steering linkage (use a pr. gloves) put your hands ond the pitman arm and wobble it there should be no play , but first sit on it and try to turn the steering wheel with it shut off the wheel should be stiff with very little to no movement and the belts should be tight and no fray/worn components the grease fitting can look dirty but wipe them off (bring a rag) the tires should hold air make sure they are the same size front both the same the back matched to each other ,the wiring not taped up and in good shape .the pto if equipt. should turn when engaged the implements should be complete no missing parts.lights working all gauges intact/working after shutting off the engine wait 5 minutes and pull oil dip stick oil should be the same as before starting not grey. look at all visible filters make sure there are no leaks,*hint look at the floor and see if there is a oil stain ,rearendoil should be full as well as transmission. if this has a clutch ck. for free play ck. the brakes both wheels should brake indepenant of the other and then together.

3. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Pull the dip stick, place a small drop of oil on your wrist just at the wrinkle line, take your little finger of the other hand and stir the drop, if you feel grit, beware. Touch the engine to see if it is warm, if so it was started just before you got there, maybe to decieve you about how easy it starts. Cold engine? Have the seller show you how to start it. White smoke indicated water in the fuel, black indicates too much fuel at the setting for the injectors, blue smoke indicates major wear. Don,t worry about the color of the oil, diesel engines oil get black very soon after changing. Look at the filters, are they new or very old?

Rock the steering wheel, is there a lot of play? Slack indicates wear. Look at the pivot points, are they worn out? Look at the implements, are they well cared for, and not displaying major wear? Twist the PTO shaft that enters the mower gear box, is there slack or does turn the blade without slack. Is the inside of the exhaust oily, or just dull black? Avoid the oily ones. Drive it around, are all the gears there? Do both brake petals travel the same length downward? Is there a maintainance record book? Does the three point hitch work without jerks, and with a load on it? Do the hydraulic hoses look smoothe and not cracked? Are there leaks under it? Is there a coating of wet dirt anywhere on the tractor? Is there fresh grease at the grease zerks? This could go on all night but you should get the picture from the above.

4. Try checking out tractorbynet.com. The site may be able to give you some information on the tractor.

5. Torch

Torch Well-Known Member

Been there already, I couldn't find anything.

Great replies, guys, thanks for the tips. Does anybody have any knowledge of or experience with this particular model? Is there an equivalent JD model or are they sufficiently different from each other? I've been told it is an 18 hp diesel. Sorry I can't provide more info, the last time I was out there I was not buying a tractor, only a house and some land so I didn't pay much attention to the tractor. :D

6. Torch

Torch Well-Known Member

Back the truck up!

I tried the tractorbynet site again and once I figured out how to search properly I found lots of info.

Please disregard my last post. :)

Michael

7. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

yanmar and john deere that size plus others are made by yanmar in japan

8. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

As recomended tractorbynet is a great source. Also yahoo groups has a yanmar group. The 186 has a great advantage of being a non greymarket yanmar. This makes parts a little easier and manuals in english.

I have and love my grey market yanmar ym1810. Great little tractor for an affordable price.

As for checking it out, check the hoses, belts, fluids.

9. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Great advice so far. Check the tires, they are expensive little beasts. If it has a hydrostatic tranny try slowly pushing into something solid with the rear blade (carefully) The engine should labor/stall and or spin the wheels. If it doesn't the tranny is worn, and the tractor is not worth much. Most of the low hp hydro tractors last a very long time though. You could get a mechanic to pressure test the hydraulic system, and go over the tractor. Might be the best $100 you spend.

10. Torch

Torch Well-Known Member

Great advice indeed.

The first time I went out to see the property, while I was there a mobile tractor repair guy came out to work on the tractor. I'm not sure whether this is a good thing (maintenance) or a bad thing (repairs). FWIW, the guy who currently owns the property doesn't work it in any way other than to mow his 'lawn' and clear some fields when the weeds get too tall. Other than one horse he has no other livestock or crops. I'm guessing the tractor has seen very little use.

Michael

11. Glad you figured out the tractorbynet site, as that is _the_ place to get info on these things. I will assume it is a grey market tractor, and so parts are more difficult to get & value is about 1/2 of what a similar equiped American version would be? You checked both the Yanmar & greymarket forums of tractorbynet????

Sometimes 'not being used much' is as much a negatibve as a positive for little diesels. Sitting around for 6 months lets water condense in the tranny & fuel, seals get dry, and so on. Not being used hard is a good thing, sitting around getting stiff & old from lack of use is a bad thing fro humans & tractors. :)

Wonder if $2000 covers the tractor, & $1000 covers the implements? I can be of by 1/2 in either direction depending on condition, & I'm assuming it's a 4wd greymarket machine.

--->Paul

12. Torch

Torch Well-Known Member

Well I know that it doesn't sit around for 6 months+ because it is all he has to cut his lawn with and in these parts (S.E. Texas, Willis, TX specifically) you can't go 2 weeks without needing to cut again in the warmer months.

The tractor is not greymarket unless what I've read is incorrect. The model numbers 3 digits long are for the American market and the 4 digit models are greymarket. This tractor is a very satisfactorily three digits long, Model 186. :D

I'm going out Friday to give it a once over. If something raises any suspicions I'll fork out the cash for a professional analysis. As Ross mentioned it could end up being the best $100 I've spent (or the worst $100 I didn't spend).

I plan on taking some picture of it. If you guys are interested I'll post some over the weekend.

Michael