Yanmar 1700d tractor

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Columbia,SC., Dec 29, 2005.

1. Columbia,SC.

Columbia,SC. Thats MR. Redneck to you

Hey all,
    I have a yanmar compact tractor that works very hard for me when I ask. It is a 17 horse diesel and it costs nothing to run. When I bought it I did not know to 'look hard' at the tires. My tires are all on the way out of service due to dry rot. Well my prob. now is that today I noticed they all looked low so I pumped them up, and after going less than 40 feet the back right sprung a nice size hole in the sidewall. All of the writing on the Bridgstone tires is mainly in Jap.
    I saw that it said as best I can tell 3.5kg or something pressure. What the h#ll does that mean to a tires gauge made in the USA?

This is a pencil sized hole that I tried to plug before it got to dark so I do not know if it will hold. I was wondering before I buy a new costly 8.00X 24" tire could I put a $24.00 tube in there and run that till the tire falls off of the rim? I only bush hog, rock rake now and then, and will be post hole digging and hauling small logs around our semi rocky soil.

Thanks for any ideas or advice, be nice.
    Columbia,SC.

2. boonieman

boonieman Well-Known Member

3.5 kg is about 50 psi, according to a converter I found on the internet.

Most tractor tires have tubes in them, mainly for holding fluid, which is highly corrosive. I'd say you could use tubes as long as you patch that hole to keep the tube from protruding out.

3. Chas in Me

Chas in Me Well-Known Member

3.5 kg is about 50 psi, according to a converter I found on the internet.

The converter I found says 3,5 kg equals about 7.5 pounds. My rear tires take 18 pounds.

4. Snakeoil

Snakeoil Well-Known Member

Both of my tractors have tubes in front and rear tires.

5. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

Never heard of 50psi in a tractor tire, usually 10 to 20 psi max, but Its been 30 years since I worked at a tire store. I run 12 to 15psi.

Yes you can run a tube, would have thought you already had tubes, but then again--I don't know-----------Make sure when you put the tube in that the inside of the tire is clean------no holes, No plugs sticking into the inside, no trash or loose rubber balls that happens some time inside a tire, make sure the rim is smooth, if it is rust pitted bad you can clean it the best you can, then wrap several wraps of duck tape around it to make it smooth where the tube will be touching. Good Luck!! Happy New Year!! Randy

6. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

My opinion is the 3.5kg is the load rating of the tires. Rear conventional tractor tires are typically inflated to 15 psi and radials at 12 psi.

PS...put a big tube patch to the hole in the tire prior to installing the new tube.

7. Columbia,SC.

Today I bought a tube to put in there,8.35 x 24 for $25.00.
    I checked the tire today and it seemed to still hold some air, the pressure was at 10 pounds this morning, about 40 degrees air temp. I pumped it up past that before reading this thread/ and did notice some leaking after a spray of armor all... that is all I had handy. But the tire is up now after 12 hours. I think I will try and run it as long as I can w/out putting in the tube. I bet I will have to get in there though. I do have plenty of tools to work with but the air compressor to pump it back up is on loan. I asked for one but Santa forgot, so much for being BAD!
    Thanks, Columbia,SC.

8. Columbia,SC.

Ok, today my DW was at work and I had the 2 kids (not goats) lol. I called my Ma and Pa and asked if PA PA had a pair of tire tools to remove the tire from the rim. 'No but we will go look out in the shop for something that may help'! Well after 10 mins. they call back and say they are on the way over with some tools! Ma is 64 and Pa Pa is 81! Well let me just say that they got down and dirty and we changed that tire in about an hour and I could not have done it with out the help they gave me!

Ma was telling me that the next time you cut trees like you did yesterday call me and I will drag barnches to the burn pile for you! I said HEY look over there, there are still plenty that need dragging! She said well, not today but let me know next time, OK? hahahaha They are so much help to us but I feel bad when they come over and help,, they get all sore and stiff and complain for a week but always offer and do help!

So in other words, thanks for all of the great advice and help once again!
    I love this place! Columbia,SC.