Y'alls thoughts on barns...

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by oz in SC, Jun 1, 2005.

1. oz in SC

oz in SC Well-Known Member

We are going to find out soon how much to have a barn built on our land in NC.
    The specs of it are seen below except no stalls,T1-11 siding or whatever is more appropriate for siding instead of T&G siding, but otherwise like below.

[​IMG]

We have not gotten a quote yet but would like any input/ideas.
    This barn is to be converted to an apartment upstairs and be nothing in particular down...it will become a storage place I imagine... :)

So what do y'all think?

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    How close to the coast is the property? The 80 mph wind load could be a hurricanes delight. The price in the picture states $31,000, that figures at about $36.00 per square foot without wireing, plumbing, interior fixtures, stairs, ect. How much more add on will be needed to finish it? At what age do you think you will still be able to climb stairs in the future?

3. oz in SC

oz in SC Well-Known Member

This was from a company out in Washington State so that is why the snowloads,seismic rating,etc..

The price is for a kit with a lot of custom fancy features...we would NOT be having a handmade Cupola on the top... :D

We would be having it built in the western NC and it would not really NEED to meet those standards.

As to stairs,it would be for a place to have on the land that we can use while building the house and later on be used as a guesthouse...and since actually exercising more our knees have improved a LOT...

The finish work will be done by us as we have contacts here in SC that can do tile work,plumbing,etc...

It would be 'nice' to have even just the structure dried in for hurricane season-would give us a place to head to in the event of evacuation...

4. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

i looked at a plan similar to that when we were preparing to move to our mountian. it is a nice plan and i think it would provide a good apartment and barn both. I would now love to have the barn part (then i could have a horse LOL). I guess it would depend on how much you can afford (since it is not a bad plan). If the kit price listed is just for the materials i think it a bit high...but two years or so from now it will be right on the money with the way things are costing more and more each year. i vote for "find what you like, try not to get screwed over too badly and go for it!"

5. stumpyacres

stumpyacres Well-Known Member

what about a bank barn - built into a bank? We had one on our property.

6. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

I like it. Nice barn plan.

Let's see, it was 10 years ago I had a basic barn built that was gambrel style with vent roof ventilation (I like your syle vent better, because the snow blows into the 2nd floor with this vent I have is the length of the roof on both sides at the top). The design I had was without stalls and only to the exterior ply wood stage(no siding). The cost then was about $16,000. I poured concrete into one quarter of the first floor (20 x 20 ft.) for a workshop area. The rest basically is storage and I raised turkeys in on 'stall' area about 20 x 12. Gravel stone on half the floor where the tractor pulled throuh. I don't raise horses, so this plan worked okay for me to this point. I also didn't have any lean to along the side, but it's an idea that can be added on to the south and would work very well for animals. OH, the entrance doors on each end were one slider 10' high x 12 ft. wide.

7. cloverfarm

cloverfarm Well-Known Member

Do teh box stalls open into the breeze way (to the inside, in other words ...) If it were our place we'd want the stalls to open into the barn aise, inside, for grooming and tacking up and all. But, we live in northern Indiana and have a totally different climate than in the Carolinas.

And also ... are two stalls enough? ;)

Ann