Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked down, seen a pattern, thought "holy ****", looked left and seen a 2.5-3" rattle and thought "F' me"...looked to the right and seen the coiled up ready to strike head.

Jumped back 2 ft, started screaming like a little girl, checked my britches, thanked the lord and Tom Cruise, and then took a pic.

It's a biggun'.

Middle Tn. S of Nash, W of Murfreesboro.
Plant community Plant Grass Groundcover Terrestrial plant

·
Registered
6,698 Posts
No rattle snake or copper heads this year, but very large and nasty striking grater snakes. Never had any so big and going out of the way to chase us and the critters. Makes me wonder if something is off in nature. I know they like bull and black snakes or good but geez these are acting so strange. Coiled mouth open and strike.
Grass Track Plant Groundcover Composite material

Plant Track Terrestrial plant Grass Railway

·
Premium Member
3,057 Posts
Fastest toilet trained kid in the world here. My mama had the little potty in the bathroom. Rattlers denned in the walls in that old company house. Go to the pot and listen to them rattle and the scrape of them moving a bit in the walls. Human noises likely disturbed their rest. Never had one get in the house, learned to leap through open doors in a single long broad jump as they liked to lay and sun along the door frame.

·
Super Moderator
14,179 Posts
Posted 6/7/22 1:49 A.M. CDST

Yesterday I shot a 4 1/2 foot copperhead on the path to to the run kennel with my dogs. Luckily I saw it before they did and got them backed up and their leads wrapped around the security light pole. A few hours later my neighbor emptied his 1911 loaded with hollow points trying to kill two on our back property line and called me to bring my ,38 with shot shells.

If you shoot a snake with hollow point or slug ammo your either a good shot, the snake is still or your lucky and your aim was off in the direction the snake was scooting on it's scale skutes.

Snakes cant back up, only move forward and twist fast so when you aim at a moving snake, you are aiming where it has been, not where it is.

A shotgun or pistol varmit shot shell paterns wide enough to cover where it has been and where it is going.

During snake season here I always have my stainless six shot .38 Colt Detective loaded with blue tip shot shells and often take the first two hollow points out of my normal pocket carry six shooter and load two shot shells in case I come across a snake at GF's or my mother's place.

Reactions: Oldhat

·
Expect the unexpected
2,515 Posts
Spotted one in garden yesterday. Tried to move it with a fork.
But not to hurt it. Finally called to husband, and he came to get it.
Picked it up and took it for a long walk out back.
It's the startle factor that gets me. No sense screaming. I just cuss them.
I have a big black tarp under the raised beds. I think it draws critters.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My blue heelers will find a snake and they will go crazy and wont stop til I come kill it or remove it. So far since temps went up Ive had 5 copperheads 1 rattler and several rat snakes. Snakes are worst than normal this year it seems
I've always owned Heelers. Have a red one now with a little Lab in it. Best dog I've ever owned. Fast as lighting. Loves messing with snakes too.

I let this snake go, dog was with me but off in woods, started wondering about me and I noticed it coming to me about 30 yards out...decided to exit the scene before my dog noticed the snake. Didn't want to chance it, the dog would be all over that rattler.

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Posted 6/7/22 1:49 A.M. CDST

Yesterday I shot a 4 1/2 foot copperhead on the path to to the run kennel with my dogs. Luckily I saw it before they did and got them backed up and their leads wrapped around the security light pole. A few hours later my neighbor emptied his 1911 loaded with hollow points trying to kill two on our back property line and called me to bring my ,38 with shot shells.

If you shoot a snake with hollow point or slug ammo your either a good shot, the snake is still or your lucky and your aim was off in the direction the snake was scooting on it's scale skutes.

Snakes cant back up, only move forward and twist fast so when you aim at a moving snake, you are aiming where it has been, not where it is.

A shotgun or pistol varmit shot shell paterns wide enough to cover where it has been and where it is going.

During snake season here I always have my stainless six shot .38 Colt Detective loaded with blue tip shot shells and often take the first two hollow points out of my normal pocket carry six shooter and load two shot shells in case I come across a snake at GF's or my mother's place.
My snake load is a .44 caliber 240gr hard cast semi wad cutter, over eleven grains of Unique. I get in front of the Rattle Snakes and stomp my feet. They will coil up and get into the strike position. If you move left or right they will track you with their movements. When I stop moving and stand directly in front of them they freeze for a few seconds. Then I shoot them in the head. From nine or ten feet, it is a pretty easy shot.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Shoot snakes with a bullet? I would not as that bullet might hit something harder then that snake and depending on the angel it might ricochet and hit someone or something. I always carry my 681 with at least three shot shells.

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
Never saw a snake here that big. Can't say it won't happen but no rattlers.
a neighbor reported seeing a black racer snake when he was riding his horse nearby.
they are endangered and the biggest in Maine, from what I've read.

This topic makes me think twice about being barefoot all the time.
eeeeee!!!

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Never saw a snake here that big. Can't say it won't happen but no rattlers.
a neighbor reported seeing a black racer snake when he was riding his horse nearby.
they are endangered and the biggest in Maine, from what I've read.

This topic makes me think twice about being barefoot all the time.
eeeeee!!!
There was a woman and her son bitten in the past week. They had been outside and were walking into the garage to go in the house when he got hit first and before she could react to his ouch, she was bitten.

BTW, he was barefoot.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I looked down, seen a pattern, thought "holy ****", looked left and seen a 2.5-3" rattle and thought "F' me"...looked to the right and seen the coiled up ready to strike head.

Jumped back 2 ft, started screaming like a little girl, checked my britches, thanked the lord and Tom Cruise, and then took a pic.

It's a biggun'.

Middle Tn. S of Nash, W of Murfreesboro. View attachment 111049
Mostly bull snakes. Keeps the starlings from nesting above and pooping on my car.... (y)

·
Unapologetically me
21,922 Posts
I used to work for a rancher and we had a lot of snakes around (I hate snakes)
One time we were out in the hills on horseback and we came across a rattle snake. He dismounted, handed me his reins and squated down in front of the coiled snake.
He pulled his revolver out, pointed it at the snake, then slowly moved it back and forth.
The snake's head moved back and forth with the muzzle, and when he stopped, the snake's head stopped, then disappeared.
He got the snake to line itself up with the barrel, all he had to do was pull the trigger.
He was always doing something weird like that.
I even saw him kill a snake with his reins on more than one occasion.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts