Y'all choose for me

Discussion in 'Goats' started by DayBird, Jan 31, 2005.

1. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

Say we get two Nubian does for milking. We also want meat. A buck that we can breed to the Nubians. A Boer seems to be the best choice as it's a common cross around here. But what about a Pygmy buck and raise Kinders? What about Myotonics? I really like the idea of the possibility of them being easier to keep in the fence. They're also supposed to be a heritage breed in need of preservation (according to the American Livestock Breeds Conservancy).

What about the economics of resale? I think if we were to raise too many to slaughter that we would have better luck with the Nubian/Boer crosses. Aren't they the ones sold as "boer percentages?"

And then there are the little ones. We could get a buck and two does of both the Pygmies and the Dwarfs. One breed for milk and one breed for meat. Keep the bucks together and breed them to the corresponding does of the same breed. Have little glasses of milk and little bitty goat steaks.

Y'all just choose what breed we should raise. There are too many choices.

2. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

Sorry for the dejavue. I just did a thread search and up came the threads I started back in September when I first found Homesteading Today. I still can't decide which breed to have. Again, it will probably be Nubians by default. Goats really aren't like chickens where you can just order the hatchery's assortment of 25 and keep the six you like the best.

3. Lt. Wombat

Lt. Wombat Well-Known Member

We jumped on the Boer bandwagon and came to regret it. Crossing a high % boer buck to our dairy crosses gave us short, stout does with thick necks and heads. We like the tall lean nubian look personally so this past season it was out with the boer buck and in with a pure breed Nubian. SO FAR this years kids appear to have the nubian look out of the boer/nubian crossed does we kept.

4. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

So this year's kids are 3/4 Nubian and 1/4 Boer? How are the boer/nubian cross does that you kept for milk production? Did the boer/nubian crosses produce good meat?

5. 1farmgirl

1farmgirl Well-Known Member

Lt. Wombat, I would also like to know how your Nubian/Boer Crosses did as mothers-milking, etc. I bred 3 does to a boer this year as I wasn't planning on keeping any babies and for the first time since I began raising goats (7 yrs) I had a 100% doe year. Seven girls. Figures! And I got gorgeous markings and colors. I've narrowed the field down to four that I will probably end up keeping. Gabby's (my daughter) been busy spoiling them rotten already.

6. Lt. Wombat

Lt. Wombat Well-Known Member

Boer Saanen does did pretty good with milking, about 1 gallons per day.

The Boer Nubian and Boer Togg does were closer to 3/4 to 1 gallon per day.

Our pb Nubians that were breed to a pb Nubian buck gave well over 2 gallons per day.

All the crosses were excellent mothers (we dam raise everyone), same as the pb moms. Never had a rejection but the Nubian moms did impart their loobian (looney Nubian) traits onto the kids at first, but daily handing broke them of that.

As far as the meat part goes we didn’t butcher any out the last 3 seasons because I was finishing up my residency, starting up my practice and just didn’t have the time (they all went to the ethnic market in MN).

We are about this close () to finalizing a contract with the VA and will be moving to the south “hopefully” this summer. Once there we are going to set up a commercial grade A dairy operation and will probably go 100% Saanen. We like the Saanen for their big lean bodies, ease of handling, laid back nature and milk production (plus there is nothing cuter than a herd of Saanen babies running at you full speed).

7. Stacy Adams

Stacy Adams Well-Known Member

Daybird.. go visit a few farms.. find a breed you really like and go with that.. unless your looking to build a Dairy, or start a meat herd to sell to the public..
    Visiting the farms will give you an idea of the goats that are redily available in your area, should you need a buck or two, and you really can put any kind of goat in the freezer.. I'd go with what's "eye appealing" to you, no since in having a buch of goats you can't stand to look at!! :no:

8. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

I met the St. Clair county extension agent today. I told him that I wanted both dairy goats and meat goats. He said to get five goats. To fence in 3 of our five acres into half acre plots so we can rotate. To get a buck and two doe boers and also two doe nubians. The kids produced from the boer does would be pure bred and from the nubians would be percentages and that these would bring the best price at market. He said that most farmers in St. Clair county are switching from beef cattle to boer goats. He said to keep the nubian girls to themselves and only allow them access to the buck when we're wanting to breed them and to keep the boer buck with the two boer does all the time. I would effectively have two tiny little herds with his plan, but I think that may be ok. My wife wants the floppy ears. She loves the looks of the white boers with the red heads and necks. If we're going just on eye-appeal, these are the ones we'll be getting.