Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Too Complicated For Cable
10,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not exactly S&P but kinda related.

I'm about to wrap up the job I've been working and while Maine has always been home, I miss the west coast. Do we have any members in the Yakima area? Land out there decent, can I grow my own food out there? How's the community, will I be alone or are their other HTers out there?
Will I need to carry everywhere I go? I've heard some things about the crime rate out there.

If not Yakima I've been thinking Spokane too. I know a little more about Spokane, I know I can grow some food out there and that the crime rate isn't too terrible. Anyone know both?! That'd be great.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Spokane is better then Yakima, but land maybe less near Yakima.

Spokane is nice but you have to find work /way to make money.
The land is good lots of wheat and apple trees. look for land north by deerpark.

I've heard some things about the crime rate all over, you have to be smart.
asked/ carry everywhere you go? you can and if you move in to the downtown you should.
By deerpark the black bears are small, the moose are mean.
It is cold in Jan to March and hot in August. but really the climate is nice.

Oh you may like the land north/west of Yakima in the foot hills some nice farms there too.

·
Too Complicated For Cable
10,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm looking at Realtor.com and I'm seeing similar land prices. I don't know which areas would be best in either city, and I don't know about commute times yet either, still just in the idea phase.

As for work, there's work for debt collectors everywhere... LOL It's like mortgages in the early 2ks, go anywhere and walk in, they want warm bodies.

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
Spokane is bigger, greener, less Hispanic than Yakima which doesn't really matter but it is a high gang/drug area.

Real estate prices are all over the map here, depending on how badly the seller needs to sell. North of Spokane is nice, from west Deer Park to the ID border, and all the way to Canada. Elevation can make a big difference in temperatures. Soil varies some what due to elevation as well, the valleys have deeper soil. West of Spokane is drier, and Fairchild AFB is out there. To the south is very nice and turns into the Palouse prairie. To the east is Coeur D'Alene, ID and land prices are higher.
You don't need to carry around here, unless you might worry about coming home to thieves. The crime is mostly in parts of town, most of the people involved in crime are druggies and have money and transportation problems.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts