Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son (almost 13 yrs. old) wants this game in the worst way. Some of his friends from Boy Scouts have it and their parents think it's no big deal (although I sometimes question if these parents even have an idea of what the game is about). All the online reviews I've read said it is not recommended for young teens; but some say it's okay since it isn't dealing with moral issues, rather battle entertainment.

My son is not in least influenced by games, TV, movies, etc. He's able to distinguish fact from fantasy; entertainment from moral issue; even though people use it, bad language is not acceptable in any circumstances; etc.

By the same token, I believe that no matter how down-to-earth and responsible a child is, being a responsible parent means you still have to supervise, edit, and decide what your children should be permitted to watch, read, or play.

So my question is if the violence in this game is just simply overrated by overly cautious parents (or those who just "assume" what the game is), or is it inappropriate for a 13 yr. old? I'd like some opinions from those who have seen it or have it. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Yes, the "violence" is highly overrated IMHO. I play video games quite a bit and design a few in my free time. Halo 2 has graphical violence against space aliens, so it's not really that hard hitting. There is no vulgarity that I remember and the plot is centered around a regular old series of war and faction pushes and pulls. No sexual (or even girls at all from what I remember) pieces.

The game was played by six year olds from what I remember. Same with all the Halo series, very non-violent (even the deaths were mostly just the character falling over). One question I might have though is, are you SURE he means Halo 2 and not Halo 3? Halo 2 is over four years old now, Halo 3 is the most recent one and came out for the Xbox 360 last year.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Oh, and for other parents, anyone who wants to check out a game before they buy it for their kid can get an idea by watching trailers for it, just like a movie on:

http://www.gametrailers.com/

The trailer might not show everything in the game, but you should get a pretty good grasp of what is in the game. I think almost every video is tagged "mature" for some reason, regardless of content, but I'm sure you're all bright enough to decide what's mature or not for your own child :)

Here are the Halo 2 trailers for you to check out:

http://www.gametrailers.com/game/8.html?show=Trailers#Content

Edit: The box of the game will also tell you why it is rated M for mature or what have you in stores or online.

·
Registered
422 Posts
It has been a whole since I played it, but just going on my memory. . .

The violence is in a fantasy sort of environment. I found the worst part was shooting these zombie alien type things, they were scary!

Basically the hero is going around killing these alien things while he tries to stop them from blowing up the world. There are no sexual themes. I really don't think there is any bad language.

Personally, I would let a 13 year old play it. I know why he wants it so bad, it is a really great game.

I would NOT let a 13 year old play the game on XBOX live (or any other game) without really close supervision. I used to play XBOX live, which means you play with other players around the world through an internet connection, and I was always surprised with the number of small children I would encounter on there, playing games with (often very immature) adults who were discussing adult subjects.

·
Registered
293 Posts
It has been a whole since I played it, but just going on my memory. . .

The violence is in a fantasy sort of environment. I found the worst part was shooting these zombie alien type things, they were scary!

Basically the hero is going around killing these alien things while he tries to stop them from blowing up the world. There are no sexual themes. I really don't think there is any bad language.

Personally, I would let a 13 year old play it. I know why he wants it so bad, it is a really great game.

I would NOT let a 13 year old play the game on XBOX live (or any other game) without really close supervision. I used to play XBOX live, which means you play with other players around the world through an internet connection, and I was always surprised with the number of small children I would encounter on there, playing games with (often very immature) adults who were discussing adult subjects.
Oh yeah, I forgot about this!

There are far too many parents that let their kid play unsupervised (I would hope that's why they do this) online. The arguments and conversations and words they use will likely teach YOU a thing or two and brings the meaning XXX to a whole new level! Do NOT let your kid play online unless you are SURE they are ready to handle the REAL dirty real world! As an online player, what I see most often ironically is that it is other 13 year olds that you have to worry about. The older folks seem to just want to play the game.

·
Premium Member
9,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He's not going to play it live. I don't allow him to play live games. We let him try out Runescape for a while, and I didn't like the potential that could go; so we put the cabash on ALL live games.

·
Registered
422 Posts
From the above link:

I should note, too, that the game garners an M-rating not only for violence, but for language. The space marines who accompany Master Chief add saltiness to the game, blurting out "colorful" sayings.
Goodness, I really don't remember any profanity, but maybe I was wrong?? I could be wrong. To tell you the truth, the marines that accompany you on the mission are so irrelevant I don't know that I ever listened to them

After playing for hours one day, I stopped to watch the news. It was hard to make the transition between the bodies of "dead" aliens to the awful pictures of Asian tsunami victims. My emotions seemed oddly numb to the very real images of death I was seeing
I am utterly shocked that someone would say this or feel like this! Playing a video game made them numb to the images of the tsunami victims? What kind of horribly insensitive person is this? It is an interesting comment because I was away visiting family over the holidays, when the tsumani occurred, and this was when we got Halo2. We had been playing day and night with my DH, and brother and sister in law, and then I remember learning about the tsumani on the news. It was extremely disturbing to see the dead bodies and the images of people running for their lives. I was really, really disturbed by the tsunami, so I find this little example this person gave very very troubling, especially since I had had been playing Halo for longer than "hours in a day" at that time. If this person feels numb to horrifying images like that after playing a first person shooter, I really hope they never pick up a game controller again. wow.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
As I said, anything remotely offensive is in those reviews. A lot of this depends on the personal sensitivity of all involved. DH is a police officer and he absolutely HATES these games. Our kids mentioned playing it at a friend's house once and he was adamant that they not be allowed to play it there again. To each his own.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I don't think you were wrong, well not technically. Most people don't assume the words "----" and "hell" as particularly vulgar these days. I don't believe the game uses any of the "nasty" curse words such as the s-word or f-word at all. Also, I forgot about this, you can turn blood off if you want.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I wouldn't hesitate to allow him to play and possibly even allow him to play online if properly supervised. I would set some limits on the time he devotes to it though. A certain number of hours a week perhaps. Maybe an hour a day or he could save up his time for a long session on the weekend.

Everything in moderation.

·
Registered
105 Posts
The Halo games and Elder Scrolls: Oblivion are the only rated M games we allow our 13 year old son to play. Although our 8 year old isn't allowed to play Halo alone, he plays against his Dad and brother all the time. I've seen worse games that were rated Teen.

Another good site for parental reviews that I use is http://www.commonsensemedia.org/.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
I played all 3 halo games extensively and though there is plenty of shooting it did not strike me as overly violent. The gore factor is low.

I thought all three were great and if I had a 13 yr old I would not hesitate to let them play the games. Provided that homework and chores are done and grades don't suffer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts