X-Post: Help with Pasture Weed ID

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by kanpope, Jul 7, 2006.

1. kanpope

kanpope Livin' the Dream

Dh and I have scoured the internet looking for possible match-ups to this weed that has proliferated on our pastures. In other words, they are all over the cotton pickin' place! We want to pasture our chickens and pigs and rotate our goats, but we are concerned that this weed might be poisonous. At first I thought that it might be common milkweed, but it does not match up to the pictures on the net. :shrug: Any information you can offer would be greatly appreciated. :help: Here they are:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am not sure why the pictures are coming across huge. I resized them on photobucket. Sorry! :rolleyes:

2. tillandsia

tillandsia Well-Known Member

It is definitely a species of milkweed, but which one? Try googling Asclepias asperula.

3. myheaven

myheaven Well-Known Member Supporter

4. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

The common milk weed we have here in southern Minnesota has _very_ different flowers, and a wider leaf.

Doesn't mean it isn't a version of it tho, just not exactly what we have here.

--->Paul

5. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Milkweed is very difficult to eradicate. A wick applicator saturated with roundup is the only way I know to get rid of it while minimizing the amount of herbicide applied.