wyoming nonelectric homesteading?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by outofmire, Jul 19, 2004.

1. outofmire

outofmire Well-Known Member

Can someone from Wyoming tell me about the climate in Natrona and Sweetwater counties? I mean I know that it is windy and cold. I know that snow drifts are a bigger problem than accumulation per se. I'm just curious HOW cold? How windy? How deep are the snow drifts? Would it be dangerous to be caught in a snowstorm without electricity?.....

What kind of alternatives to electricity are there? I know there are no trees in these areas? So is wood out? What about wind? I guess that's a viable option. What about solar? Do the cold temps and wind make solar difficult?

What about earth sheltered houses? Are they out of the question with snow drifts and all?

2. Sarah K.

Sarah K. Well-Known Member

Well, I'm a bit south of there (Albany county) but I can tell you what it's like here. We're at a higher elevation, but a bit further south, so I doubt it's that different. Let's see, the coldest I've noticed it getting here, when I leave to go to work in the morning, is about 20 below. I'm sure it gets colder than that sometimes, but it's usually not that cold all winter, maybe in the teens. I might add about the cold that it doesn't feel as cold as the same temps in the east, due to the low humidity. As to the wind, just assume it'll be windy all the time and you probably won't be too wrong. :) It's not as bad where I live in town, but I can imagine it can get pretty wicked in an exposed area. We don't actually get too much snow here (around 12-14" precip yearly) but it does drift up quite a bit- how much would really depend on the terrain. According to the charts in my "Wyoming Handbook" :) they get a lot more snow up that way but the temps look pretty similar.
    Yes, wind power would be great, and I don't know of any reason why solar wouldn't work well. Some folks I work with at the university have a study site south of Rawlins that they are planning to leave running all winter, with solar to power their sensors. There's also at least one place around here with a wind turbine and a bunch of panels- I assume they're probably totally off grid, but don't know for sure. As to wood, if you don't buy a wooded property you can get a permit to cut firewood on BLM land- I think they're pretty inexpensive. All softwoods, of course, except for the aspen which aren't much better.
    Hope this helps, good luck!

3. J10Kev

J10Kev Member

I'm over in Goshen county, but lived out near Albany, Wy years ago. Earth bermed or underground houses would be my choice. Find Rob Roys book on uderground houses, he is in upstate New York. BIG drifts, no problems.

A nosy quest.? Why that part of the state? Land is cheap ,true, but the climate isn't homestead friendly IMHO. Good luck, Kev

4. reese

reese Well-Known Member

As previously stated, wind is common, and just as common from my experiance is sunshine. I think solar and wind power both would work great in WY. I'd also look into the ground house as well. For the first 2 weeks in Jan. it would get down right bitter cold, but then it would gradually warm up to "tollerable" again. Growing season is quite short there, we had snow all the way into June and it started up again in Sept. If you're out in the country, make sure you have plenty of supplies and first aid supplies, when it snows it snows ;) and you may not be able to get to town. I'd suggest getting a book or 2 on WY, do your research. WY isn't for everyone, but if it suits your personality and your desires, it's the BEST place to live. *sigh* I miss WY.

5. outofmire

outofmire Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the responses. We were looking into it because the land is cheap, but more importantly because we like the wide open spaces. However, hubby doesn't think we should move there after all. I was going to take a trip up there to check things out, but not anymore I guess. I just really like that wide open land up there. Our biggest concerns was the water shortage. I just wanted to get some ideas from ya'll to see what our options were. Thanks again!

6. reese

reese Well-Known Member

Have you looked into Nebraska, Iowa or Utah? We're pretty much decided that if we can't make WY home again (income is an issue and it's hard to find a job in WY in most fields ;)well unless your a doctor and can afford to pay the unGODly high malpractice insurance) it'll be either SD/ND, Iowa, Minnesota or Utah. Luck in your quest. Reese