Wyoming, Idaho, Montana?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by YoungOne, Oct 8, 2006.

1. YoungOne

YoungOne Well-Known Member

Recent changes have made an out of state move fesible. Wife and I are talking (my fingers are crossed) about the three listed states but know very little about them other then laws and regs which I researched online. I am hoping for some area sugestions based on a few criteria points.

-We would like 1 1/2H or less from a major city (good weather)
    -Low taxes
    -trees
    -water (a running brooke would be great, but at least fishing in the area)
    -good wildlife (hunting)

Any sugestions on area's, maybe prices :rolleyes: ?

2. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

Go visit SurvivalBlog.com -- he's rated 19 states (according to his criteria). You might find some useful information there.

Kathleen

3. sellis

sellis Well-Known Member

youngone , ive lived in wyoming all my life , your search here cabe found , all you want is for the asking for a price , the taxes are low but land is at a max , about 1000 an acre is most average , but there is alot of places to fish and hunt , i spend most of the summer in the natioal forest wich is about 20 minutes from our ranch . if ya need more info pm you number and i will give you a call .sellis

4. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

I posted a thread a couple of weeks ago about Wyoming running a substantial budget surplus due to royalities on gas wells. Weekend before last a woman bladesmith from WY has at a blacksmithing demonstration and we were able to chat a bit about WY after her demonstration.

She noted an able bodied person (who can pass a drug test) can pretty well start out at $25 hour with one of the gas drilling companies. Skilled workers, such as welders, earn a lot more. Land is outrageous in places such as Jackson Hole and a couple of other 'high roller' places in the state. In rural areas still somewhat reasonable, but there is still the need for employment opportunities. Winters with several weeks to where temperature doesn't reach -20 degrees are not that unusual. One may have to drive only 30 minutes or so for bread and milk, but may have to travel a couple of hours for extensive shopping opportunities.

Biggest thing she noted was the isolation. She said the local school has less than 200 kids in it in K-12. However, education is one place WY is shoveling its budget surplus - including state paid college scholarship opportunities.

She also noted, as have others, water rights are a very big issue. Just because you have a stream across your property may not give you any legal right to do anything with it except to look.

5. SolarGary

SolarGary Well-Known Member

Hi,
    We live in MT, and like it a lot.

For your criteria, I'd take a look at the land along the eastern front of the Rockies in MT -- maybe around Chotaeu.
    Just not sure if you will find land prices you like anymore -- there seem to be a lot of people interested in owning part of MT :)
    The Beaverhead river valley is also very nice.

Gary

6. DW

DW plains of Colorado Supporter

If you want trees in the west, you need to water. Remember, this used to be called the great american desert! If I ever moved f/Colo, I'd pick WY next. Grew up in IA...no thanks to the humidity there.

7. KesWindhunter

KesWindhunter Well-Known Member

How big is a major city to you?
    The eastern side of Montana is more reasonably priced, but there isnt as much water or trees. But there are both if you look around. Miles City is a good start. Billings, MT pop 70,000 (I think) is 90 minutes away.
    Wyoming...West side is outragous. Crook county and Campbell county...getting there. I'm not sure about around Douglas, though. Which puts you closer to Cheyenne and Denver, CO. Trees and water can still be found on the east side of Wyo, too.

Wyoming does not have a state income tax, but it does have a 5% sales tax. Car plates are high. Property tax is decent.
    Montana has a state income tax, but no sales tax. Auto plates are about half of Wyo. Property tax is about 25% higher than Wyo (similar ag land is how I base my statement)

PM me if you have any more questions, maybe I could point you in the right direction.