WV Land sought, eastern panhandle preferred

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by MrPG, Oct 31, 2005.

1. MrPG

MrPG Well-Known Member

I finally got permission from SWMBO to go ahead and start looking for land. Close by to Martinsburg preferred. I will be commuting from Lancaster PA area on the weekends and Martinsburg is only about 2 hours' drive, but I can go farther if need be.

Looking for small homestead, perhaps 5 acres or so, under $4K per acre. Sloping land OK if there is southern exposure.

Suggestions as to where to look, local folks to contact, etc. most welcome.

2. MrPG

MrPG Well-Known Member

Just a note, I will be moving full-time to the area once the house is built, will be commuting until then.

3. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

Did you really mean $4,000 an acre or $40,000? I just can't imagine there is anything in the $20,000 price range (5 acres at $4k).

Martinsburg is a growing area with a lot of DC and Northern Virginia commuters moving out there. (The MARC train runs to Martinsburg.) Prices are going up like crazy.Five acres (land only) would probably run well over $100,000, maybe even closer to $200,000. I doubt there is anything in Berkley County that would come close to $4k an acre.

Check Long & Foster, www.longandfoster.com, and see what stuff is going for.

Unfortunately, the eastern panhandle is getting as pricey as Maryland and Virginia. You'd probably have better luck staying in Pa. or going much further west or south in W.Va. What about western Pa? Or even somewhere out past Gettysburg, Fairfield, etc? Much more reasonable prices.

Good luck.

4. MrPG

MrPG Well-Known Member

5. MrPG

MrPG Well-Known Member

Oh, and the thing about PA is the property taxes. For a typical mortgage of $600 per month, expect $300 per month additional, just to cover the taxes. My wife and I found a really nice place near York, we could afford the mortgage but not mortgage plus taxes.

PA taxes are going to continue to increase as well. I am sure WV has its own issues but my belief is that overall tax burden is much less.

6. labrat

labrat Well-Known Member

7. Shagbarkmtcatle

Shagbarkmtcatle Hillybilly cattle slaves

I live at Harpers Ferry, WV. Property is sky-high here. I have 2 sisters in Martinsburg near the City hospital. They are both selling their houses and in the last 3-4 years, the price of their houses has doubled. My parents just sold a 3 acre lot between Shepherdstown and Martinsburg 3 weeks ago for $167, 000. They bought it for $35,000 in the 1990's. This was a nice building lot along Shepherd Grade Rd past Shepherd University and the Bavarian Inn but still!!!! Of course, they're smiling :happy: Taxes are not that cheap in this part of WV. Taxes are much cheaper if you go further south in WV. So is property but of course, jobs are more scarce too. Hampshire Co is about 30-45 minutes of travel time from Martinsburg. But, a word of warning. When you start looking at real estate in Hampshire, Hardy, Grant and below, check it out FIRST!!!! A real estate agent might tell you, "Well, it's a little hilly some." Reality- a moutain goat needs help getting up it. Never believe without seeing. See for yourself.

8. BlueRidge

BlueRidge Well-Known Member

Property isn't cheap there, but I can recommend a good Realtor:

Dan Peck of ReMax http://www.remaxinaction.com/

Good guy. Honest and hard working. We worked with us for almost a year, even though he knew we were also looking in Virginia, and eventually bought there. He got no commission for all his hard work, but he didn't complain a bit and really worked for us.

You might consider dropping out of the panhandle down more west of Winchester, Virginia. I think you'll find cheaper prices there. I'm sure Dan can work with you on properties in that area.

9. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

10. OneWheelBiting

OneWheelBiting Redneck Hippy

I have seen a few realty site for WV. I have made some notes. First search homes.com and realtor.com use advanced search options search 10 acres plus and limit total value to under 50k you will find tons of WV properties. Most will be way under $4000 a acre if you willing to do some clearing work. If you plan on staying off the grid you might be able to get closer to $1000 a acre or cheaper. If nothing comes up call Matt Barnette in Jacksonville FL say Keith Ratliff sent you he will help you find whatever even way out of state like WV.
    Matt (904) 744-9308
    He is a realtor and he knows how to hunt deals.