Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pigmy that came from another goat friend whos mother died (the goats), she is tiny and about three weeks old. I have tried to explain to this elderly gentelman that you cant deworm a herd of goats with just one small bag of wormer, I really believe the doe died from worms, she hadnt been dead long and she had no color about her, no bloating, no signs of struggle just alive and eating one day dead 12 hours later.

Im going to just assume shes got coccidia because of the amount of fecal matter in the barn stall that she was kept in.
How much corid and what wormer should I start her on? weight is about 5lbs if anyone has an amount.
trying to feed her now, shes not liking the boer size nipples and awaiting hubbies return with baby bottle.

MAN SHE CAN SCREAM! I thought my boer kids could yack but shes got the pb pig beat.

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
shes trying to eat our clothes, and tries to suck from these nipples i have, but shes allot smaller than the kids I have had here in the past and it just lets out too much for her.
her eyes membranes are white with just a slight touch of pink

·
Premium Member
2,133 Posts
I like using Pritchard nipples with tiny kids. I worm young kids with Valbazen. The dose for goats is 1cc per 10# so she would get 1/2cc. I treat cocci with liquid sulfa. For prevention, give 1cc per 5# the first day orally, then 1 cc per 10# for the next four days.

·
Katie
19,970 Posts
I start my kids on Cocci treatment at 3 weeks old and would definately start that little one from the sounds of where she came from. You are so nice to take her in & nurse her back to good health. Your going to fall in Love with her you know. Good luck with the feeding,

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well shes refuses to eat this morning, I dont think i can get the valbazan at the store but I can try one of the other locals, it sucks i have to leave so early for work but im feeling under the weather myself so I will probably come home early

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
hope she does okay. It is hard to tell what happened to mom.I also use the pritchard teat on small ones. I would get her taking milk from the bottle before I tried too much medication. I use valbazen on my young ones too but they don't carry it at TSC that I have found. I can usually find it at a local feed store but in huge bottles.
I hope you aren't getting what I have had. I've been sick for 2 weeks! I even laid in bed for one whole day(still got up and checked on critters and fed) which I have to be dying to do.Good luck

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
shes fussy about it but will take the bottle, i think she was just being stuborn. I did give her some b complex after she didnt act like she was hungry this morning, an hour later she took the bottle.
? with her being that small ( i know need to show pics) how much should she be eating? she seems to do about 4oz but im not sure if that isnt too much or if its not enough.

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think i found valbaze in pig form, its there a method to correctly dose a goat, it said it did 50 200lb pigs

·
Premium Member
16,059 Posts
I bought a small amount of valbazen from my small animal vet.

·
Premium Member
2,133 Posts
shes fussy about it but will take the bottle, i think she was just being stuborn. I did give her some b complex after she didnt act like she was hungry this morning, an hour later she took the bottle.
? with her being that small ( i know need to show pics) how much should she be eating? she seems to do about 4oz but im not sure if that isnt too much or if its not enough.
How many times a day is she eating? 4oz at a time isn't too much for a three week old Pygmy. Dairy kids that age eat 8-16 oz at a time at 3 weeks old. If that's all she's taking, she should be eating at least four times a day. Does her tummy feel round when she's done?

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
She is such a fussy bratt, yes she a bratt today. she wont have anything to do with the bottle unless you force it in her mouth then she sucks, but wont just take the bottle. She will only drink a little bit, then come back for more later, she lets us know shes hungry as shes a clothes nibbler, I know this is fairly normal for them to drink alittle and take a break. shes not feeling as full as i think she should, but when shes done she wont nibble on clothes anymore.
She nibbles on hay and some grain, shes definatly allot better than when she first got here, which its very nice to know i just got two stubborn hard cases in the last two kids and I still can do this.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts