WTB: Giant Chinchillas

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by dunroven, Aug 13, 2006.

1. dunroven

dunroven Well-Known Member Supporter

Hello everyone! I have an elderly friend who lost his wife in May. He is 90 years old and has always had rabbits. However, he was sick through last winter and had to give his rabbits away. He is very lonesome, misses his wife, and misses his rabbits. He is looking for a breeding pair of Giant Chinchillas, and I am in need of 2 more breeding pairs for people who have ordered them from me. I told all of them I would look and see what I could find. Anyone interested in selling some of these beauties to me? I am ESPECIALLY interested in the pair for my 90 year old friend. The rabbits gave him a purpose and something that needed him. I would love to help him if I can.

Thanks!

P.S. I posted this on the Barter Board too.

2. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

I can crosspost your message on the RareBreedRabbits message list if you'd like...need an email address so people can get in touch with you though. :)

3. dunroven

I would appreciate that. However, I am not able to travel very far to pick these up, so if it's not close here to northern Iowa, I would not be able to do it. gas prices and all you know. Thanks!

dunroven@netins.net

4. suburbanite

suburbanite Well-Known Member

N. Calif./was USDA 9b before global warming
    I'm a little unsure chinchillas are the best choice for a 90 year old. Elderly folk sometimes have a hard time sleeping, and chinchillas are conspicuously noisy nocturnal critters. They don't vocalize but their play is usually boisterous.

New rabbits, maybe? A 'blue' rat (this is a variety of pet rat bred for its cuddly disposition, though there may be a nocturnal issue here too)?

5. dunroven

The Giant Chinchillas "are" rabbits. Beautiful ones too! Google them or check them out on www.arba.net.

6. suburbanite

suburbanite Well-Known Member

N. Calif./was USDA 9b before global warming
    Rabbits? Okay. I was thinking it was some jumbo variety of those pika-like squirrel-tailed critters.

7. doodlemom

doodlemom Well-Known Member

I live in CT and drove to New Jersey to pick up giant chinchillas which was well worth the trip. During my search for giant chinchillas I found a breeder who sells giant chinchilla rabbits via mail which is pretty expensive but worth it if you can't find a breeder in your area I think it was out of Michigan.

8. mike65807

mike65807 New Member

I too am looking for a breeding pair of giant chincilla rabbits. Anyone know of who I am contact for a pair to be shipped to me??
    debbie n missouri

9. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

10. doodlemom

I just typed giant chinchilla rabbits delivery into my search bar and scrolled along until I found the Michigan breeder. I'll see if I can find his phone number as I'm sure I didn't throw it away. When I typed in giant chinchilla rabbits delivery this time I saw an ad from Ohio. Viva la internet!

11. dunroven

I did contact that gentlman on that list but he seemed a little reluctant to ship them even though he is on the list that says he does. He says it is because it is so expensive to ship them. So, I did finally find a man whom I am going to get a pair of breeders from later on this year. By spring, anyone wanting Chinchilla Giants will be able to get them from me, and I will ship also, but everyone needs to know, it truly is expensive to do that. Cost of travel cages alone is $50.00. Then there is the air transportation, a feeder, a waterer, and a health certficate all of which are required by the airlines before they will transport, so 1 rabbit can end up costing well over $100.

Anyway, if anyone wants to be put on a list for a pair of these, you can let me know and I will e-mail exact costs for you and I can get you in on my list. A deposit of 50% will be required for these also.

Thanks!

12. Jennifer L.

Jennifer L. Well-Known Member Supporter

I've got a friend here in Northen NYS who will be breeding a trio soon. They seem to be really rare rabbits. She doesn't ship but if you are withindriving distance of Watertown, NY, I can pass on your email addresses.

Jennifer

13. doodlemom

I can't help myself- I must ask is the 50.00 a cage rental fee or do you get to keep the cage? What shade of giant chinchilla did you get? I have a silver on white buck which is exactly what I wanted and a silver on cream doe which is a subtle difference in coat color.

14. dunroven

The $50 is the cost of the cage and you would have your choice. Either keep the cage or send it back for a refund. That way I wouldn't have to keep buying new cages and you wouldn't stand the cost, but if someone decided not to send the cage back or it came back smashed or torn up, I wouldn't be out the money for the cage either.

The ones I am getting are the silver/white, I believe.

15. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

Hi Dun ,, Just how heavy are these cages ,, you might just want to plan on buying a cage every time you ship (and price of the cage may go up) ,,

if they are heavy ,, the buyer of the rabbits is going to have to pay $ to ship it back to you ,,

thats basically paying double shipping ,, are you going to accept the cage back COD and have to pay out of your pocket to get the cage back ?? who absorbes the cost of return shipment ,, that will eat into any profit you make ...

Something to think about ,, I know I paid $3 the other week to send a teabox of comfrey roots to a lady ,, I hate to think what the price of shipping a crate back would be ,,

I have way too much time on my hands

:p

Tammy

16. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

Yes, some breeds are hard to find depending on the area you live in. When I decided to get into Creme d'Argents, there was NO ONE in my area (Virginia). The original trio came from a breeder in Wisconsin, but thankfully we were able to combine trips so I kind of wrote it off. But when we got some more back in January, we ended up driving out to Ohio to get them.

Anyway, you don't always have to pay for shipping or drive like we did. For just a pair or trio, a lot of show breeders will arrange for the animals to travel with another breeder/judge to a show where they're picked up by the customer or someone the customer knows.

17. dunroven

Yeah, Tami, I have thought about the costs, but if the buyer doesn't want to keep the cages, then they would pay the shipping back to me. If they don't want to do that, then they keep the cages. Many people do it this way. I understand postage is high but some people are willing to absorb say, 10 to 15 dollars and get back the rest, like $35. I'm not willing to pay for shipping either direction, since I do have lots of sales comfortably right here with my NZs. I sell lots of breeders and never have to leave the place. We have made some deliveries though and in that case, they pay gas prices for us to get there.

Unfortunately on the shows, there are no shows in my area for these types of rabbits. Closest show is at least 70 miles away and for the cost of that, I am meeting someone who is bringing my pair to me. Also, on the shows, lots of them are on Sunday. My husband is a pastor and we won't miss church for a rabbit! LOL.

My only thought on this was that if someone particularly wants some Chinchilla Giants and can't get them closer or in a better arrangement, I will be having some available next spring. So doesn't matter either way, but it's just an offering.