Wry Neck ?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Tiffann4k, Mar 11, 2005.

1. Tiffann4k

Tiffann4k Well-Known Member

I have a litter of bunnies that is about 2 weeks old and a few days ago I was holding one and it fell out of my hands onto the floor, he seemed okay so I put him back in the nest, well today i was taking them all out to clean their nestbox and put them in a bigger box and the one just kinda rolled around and his neck is crooked, not sure if this is the same one that was dropped or if its wry neck or what. But what should I do ?

These bunnies are intended for freezer camp so I dont want to spend the money to take to a vet.

Tiffany

2. moldy

moldy Well-Known Member

my one experience with wry neck started as an ear infection or snuffle (can't remember- I'm getting really old), and progressed to wry neck. My rabbit kept his head cocked to the side at all times, unable to eat or drink eventually. IMHO, it sounds like your little guy's problem may be due more to trauma than a disease.

3. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

=====

Hi Tiffany,, Sounds to me like it developed from an injury but I would go ahead and dispose of it just in case its from something infectious ,,,

If you can switch mom n babies to a clean cage and sterilize the old one I would ,,,, if its still cold give the babies a new nestbox with fresh straw ,, sterilize the old nestbox too ,,

this may be overkill but better safe than sorry ,,

I useually clean the nest well at 8-9 days before their eyes open and will change out to a completey new nestbox around 2 weeks just because ,, I have extras so I can do this ,,

lol :haha: makes my chickens happy me cleaning out nests soo often ,, they think I give them the used straw as a treat ,,

Tammy

4. Tiffann4k

Ya I figure its more than likely the rabbit that I dropped :( Guess that will teach me to leave them alone

5. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

Hi Tiff ,,
    Now Now you have to check them over ,, these things happen ,, I've even had a kit or 2 / 3 come out the door of my hutches ,, and land on the cement block :eek: that I have there ,, that I use to get up into the cages ,,

the ones that have fallen all hop right up and most I catch right away before they can scamper away ,, I have had 1 kit about 10 to 12 days old ,, do the same thing you describe ,, had 1 fall out ,, day or 2 later had a crooked head I watched it 2-3 days to be sure and disposed of it and cleaned everything ,, ,, only had it happen the one time ,,

6. Tiffann4k

Well yesterday they were all out of the nest box and they all looked perfectly fine, couldnt even tell which one it was....I am stumped....I guess when it fell it must of sprained something...I have no clue.,...LOL!!