Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i see on some threads ppl hoping many will write a congressman, or some other official. maybe i'm just cynical, but how many of you really believe that step will do anything at all? i certainly don't think my voice would be heard at all--i think our govt is now on its own trail, has been for some time, and what the public says/wants means nothing to them. they get their huge pensions, they get to run up tabs for vacations i can't even imagine, live in extravagance, and if i should need something or write them for any type of assistance, i am certain all i'd get is, at best, a form letter saying they received my email/letter, and gosh, they're looking into it right away! (but nothing really happens). basicly getting the 'pipe down, you bother me' attitude. the older i get, the more i am believing our govt is only out to line their pockets and us little ppl are nothing more than a way to do that. am i alone here?

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
I can say doing nothing is a guarantee that they will not hear or listen to your voice and opinions.

Angie

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Me writing my congressman may not change anything but if I don't write them then I know it will not change anything. as for myself if my congressman doesn't vote to represent me then I will not vote for them again (as long as I have done my job and let them know how i feel)

greg

·
Registered
67 Posts
Politicians are all scumbags. Plain and simple.

But, if you don't tell them what you think directly, then they will never know. They will never do the will of the people. Never. But it's still my job to tell that sack of manure that the rest of the people in my area elected what I expect him to do.

And I send about 10 letters per year to him.

·
Premium Member
2,899 Posts
keep it short & concise. (paragraph or less)
told to me by the daughter of a state politician. If they're too wordy, longwinded, they're deleted or tossed. Short and to the point.
Sherry

·
Happy Scrounger
13,634 Posts
I disagree about all politicians being scumbags. We hear about the bad ones...rarely about the good ones. Even though they're Democrats, (I'm conservative Republican) I quite like our two senators (Kohl and Feingold). They've done a lot for our state...and they try to work across the aisle and create bills that benefit everyone. My congress woman I'm not fond of...but you can't like everyone :)

I've emailed and written a couple of times to each. I've received well thought out responses that don't read like generic "thanks for your interest". No clue if it was actually read by the Congress person or an aide, but the responses were appreciated. Our Congress people also hold quite a few discussions and open sessions in the State.

Now, if we were talking about Governors, THAT would be a whole different kettle of fish.:mad:

·
lurking in the shadows
293 Posts
I wrote(e-mail) to my Govenor a week or so ago, about a problem I was having with over loaded check-in system for unemployment. I received a call from a represenative of her office and they were very helpful and listened to what I had to say.
I have also e-mailed my state represenative and have always had them do follow-ups.
Go on your states government web-site and write someone an e-mail and see if they follow up.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Something to keep in mind, if you try to change your reps mind on a particular legislation then it could (COULD) be miscontrued under the new rules laid down in the previous congress to be domestic terrorism.

·
nosey, but disinterested
3,220 Posts
I go sit in my state rep's office and say Denise, we have a problem. Know what? She then asks me what it is. If she doesn't happen to be there when I stop in, her assistant makes sure she gets my message, unless it is something she can take care of for me. Then it's fixed. Granted, I haven't had any earth moving requests, but it does pay to know your rep.

·
Registered
172 Posts
i see on some threads ppl hoping many will write a congressman, or some other official. maybe i'm just cynical, but how many of you really believe that step will do anything at all? i certainly don't think my voice would be heard at all--i think our govt is now on its own trail, has been for some time, and what the public says/wants means nothing to them. they get their huge pensions, they get to run up tabs for vacations i can't even imagine, live in extravagance, and if i should need something or write them for any type of assistance, i am certain all i'd get is, at best, a form letter saying they received my email/letter, and gosh, they're looking into it right away! (but nothing really happens). basicly getting the 'pipe down, you bother me' attitude. the older i get, the more i am believing our govt is only out to line their pockets and us little ppl are nothing more than a way to do that. am i alone here?
I tried for 5 1/2 months to get an appointment with "Senator Saxby Chambliss" (Ga.) and all I got was verbally assaulted from one of his office staff. His rep was so upset from hearing from me that he totally lost his cool. (He went ballistic.) I now have a new point of contact but all I get from him is that "Saxby" is a busy man.

These clowns need the positions to feed their "megalomania".

G

·
I have contacted representatives many times. They have often listened. They have sometimes called me or written back, and in one case I was invited to come to the office and state my case in person.

Politicians are NOT all scumbags. There are some really good ones out there.

·
Premium Member
16,063 Posts
I've pledge to not vote for another incumbent until we get 100% public financing of elections and term limits.

Time after time after time after time.... we hear stories of how money has corrupted Congress yet they continue to deny that it has corrupted THEM. It's always the other guy. Either way the system is broken and the incumbents won't fix it. If you look at common sense bills they usually come from freshmen and the We Can't comes from the career politicians.

·
Premium Member
2,349 Posts
My voice or any other single voice crying in the wilderness is pretty much ignored. But, the one thing pol's are very good at is.....counting! Believe me they always know which way the political winds are blowing and if they hear from enough unhappy folks it can and at times will influence them.

·
Udderly Happy!
2,866 Posts
If you don't vote, you can't gripe about politics. PERIOD! If you don't let your rep know something they've been for or against bothers you, you can't gripe. PERIOD!

·
Registered
9,511 Posts
Many years ago, I worked as an intern in several offices. One with the state legislators, and another with our congressman's office in Washington D.C.

I can say that nearly every letter is opened and a response is normally sent to the majority of senders. The staff is often overwhelmed with mail in those days, and I would say that since the advent of email, the work load has doubled.

It always seemed to me that letters often fell into several categories:

Dear Congressman, I have a personal need, and you can help. (VA, appts to West Point, I want my father's war medals instated, etc.)

Dear Congressman, our district has a need, and you can help. (Traffic and road issues, federal/state funding for programs, etc.)

Dear Congressman, there is a bill on the floor that will greatly impact our lives/livelihood/work/business. (Laws making regulatory changes like requiring tow truck drivers to carry $1 million in insurance, or forcing farmers to treat waste from hog farms with more than 50 hogs.)

Dear Congressman, there is a bill on the floor that I disagree with politically or morally.

Dear Congressman, I have political issues that I want you to know about, even though a bill hasn't been introduced in the past 25 years.

Dear Congressman, I am a nut job with too much time on my hands. In fact, I just bought an entire skid of paper, and am going to write you a letter on each sheet. I'll just use a magic marker to write them. They will be both short and long, and won't make sense. I will even get really mad at times, and start making threats to you and your staff. I will mail 10 different letters in 10 envelopes each and every day. I will do this to make you think I am 10 different people, writing 10 different letters about the same topic, but all of them using the same magic marker. You will never know it is just one person.

In the offices I worked in, the top 4 senders would get great attention. Especially if the representative could help. Those folks mean votes. Representatives are always looking to get more votes and show the people in their district that they are really doing something.

Now the bottom 2 categories usually got a response. But I will guarantee that they are not on top of the "important stack".

Since representatives have very little time, and hundreds of thousands to report to, I seriously doubt you will ever get one on one time with them. The office staff probably sees the rep far less than you would imagine. What is funny is that 1/2 of the public think their rep is working 8 to 5 in the office every day, crafting legislation and helping people. A staff can go months before seeing the rep they work for.

The best way to share your thoughts is to show up at a fund raiser at election time.

Clove

·
Semper Fidelis
4,609 Posts
Ladycat - I guess that my five term US Congressman, is the exception to the rule.... US Congressman Mike Thompson (D) - California 1st Congressional District.

I have been using his field office and one of the Congressional Field Representatives to assist in my long term Federal Worker's Comp case. The staff have been very helpful in assisting my issues being slowly resolved after many attempts on my own. Well I am fighting the US Government, and they don't mind if I go their local office asking for help - If I have an appointment.... Their time is important also!!

Plus they are very helpful towards assisting Veterans in our area. I am a local Post Officer of a National Veteran's Organization, and the veteran's can go to the US Congressman's local office for additional assistance in getting their VA claims processed. Our Congressman is a US Army - Viet Nam era veteran.

In additon, the US Congressman's office in the past expedited the government paperwork for ordering from the US Army Rock Island Arsenal, an order for 2,400 rounds of blank ceremonial .30-06 springfield ammunition used for Veteran's Funerals, supplying US Flags, and other logistical support.

Now our US Senators for the State of Callifornia, are a whole other kettle of fish.......

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Politicians are NOT all scumbags. There are some really good ones out there.
Besides Ron Paul, name one politician that upholds the constitution.

If you don't vote, you can't gripe about politics.
I disagree. The politicians represent everyone including those who don’t vote.

If you don't let your rep know something they've been for or against bothers you, you can't gripe.

Agree

·
wife,mom,taxi driver,cook
6,674 Posts
I really have just lost faith in our system. I don't know that anything we say makes a difference anymore. Part of that problem is us. We have gotten as a society so used to being "taken care of" that we may very well be incapable of doing it ourselves anymore (speaking of society in general...not those here). I think Washington changes people too and not for the better. They go in with good intentions but seem to forget those after being there awhile. I've written my reps several times...always get a form letter back.

·
Premium Member
16,063 Posts
Having to show up at a fund raiser to get time with a congressman says it all. We NEED 100% public financing and we NEED term limits to free members of Congress from worrying about re-election from the day they take office.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts