wrinkled faced oriental pigs?

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by inc, Dec 25, 2004.

1. inc

inc Well-Known Member

2. Mulefoot

Mulefoot Active Member

I don't know of any of the recently imported Chinese breeds being out on the market. I was a student at Iowa State 15+ years ago when the first importation occured. My academic advisor happened to be the head of the group that selected the individual animals and brought them back. They had very large litters (in the high teen to 20 category) but had very bad carcass characteristics in that they had little muscling and carried quite a bit of fat. They actually weren't really intended for crossbreeding but to study the genetics to see if there were a gene or set of genes that could be readily identified that accounts for the extreme fertility of these breeds. The thinking was to find those genetic factors and then select for them in commercial American hogs so that US hogs could become as prolific as the Chinese hogs.

There was some crossbreeding done but the initial first crosses had the fertility of the US pigs and the carcass characteristics of the Chinese pigs. The exact opposite of what was desired.

I don't know what has been happening lately with these breeds, I'm assuming that their genetics is still being studied.

3. inc

inc Well-Known Member

"I was a student at Iowa State 15+ years ago when the first importation occured. My academic advisor happened to be the head of the group that selected the individual animals and brought them back."

wow- cant gget a better source than that! thanks!

4. Mulefoot

Mulefoot Active Member

No problem....

I should send an email off to my former advisor asking what is now going on with the Chinese hogs.. That can be 2005 resolution #94.....

5. inc

inc Well-Known Member

im not in the market to buy pigs- but it would be fascinating if some of the truly rare breeds were maintained. i remember picuters of the oriental pig in some paper, and its so homely its almost cute. just an interesting breed.
    i farm only in the garden of the mind.

6. inc

inc Well-Known Member

what kind of temperment did they have?
    perhaps a rare breed raiser will take them up, if only on a small scale, as the carcass is a fatty type and not (?) marketable(?)i hate to see things disappear.