Wringer Washer

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Dawndra, Oct 10, 2004.

1. Dawndra

Dawndra I'm back

I'm SOOOO excited! I finally found a wringer washer cheap! We bought it at the huge fleamarket that we go to in MO for $40! It's a speed queen. It runs perfectly! Now, I can do more than 1 load of laundry a day!

I'll finally be caught up with laundry! Oh JOY of JOYS!

:dance:

2. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

WOW! what a find! I'd love to have one of those again. Seems like the clothes get so much cleaner than the automatic machines. And sure beats doing them by hand. Glad you got it! :)

3. tramp

tramp Active Member

Does anybody know where (or if) you can get replacement rollers for the ringer??

4. Dawndra

Dawndra I'm back

I wonder if Leman's has them. I bet they do. I know they sell the washers.

5. shelbynteg

shelbynteg Well-Known Member

How about some instructions on how to operate them? I was given one, and I want to use it, but am afraid of the wiring (it doesn't look good, is not grounded, but that's probably easy to fix), plus I'm not sure how to run a load thru.

6. Dawndra

Dawndra I'm back

I put my detergent (homemade) and softener in at the same time. I don't use much detergent (1/8 cup for 15 gallons of water) so I don't really need to rinse.

I let them wash for about 20 minutes or so. I start with the whites & then the lights & then the darks. I can get 2 - 3 loads of wash using 15 galons of water. I wring them until water doesn't run from them anymore. I fold the items in 1/2 if I can to get more water out.

I have to carry water since our well isn't good. We're 5 years into a drought here.

I can do clothes in 15 gallons of waterwith this machine what I would use 60 - 90 gallons in my traditional machine. It makes my day lots easier!

7. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

.................Remmmmmmmmmmember...Girls ....what happened to Dolly Parton...she accidentially got a Ittetay caught in her Wringer and had a whole Tub full of Sillycone before she got it switched into reverse.....Oh! the perils of Domestic duty....fordy.... :eek: :) :p :haha:

8. UncleTom

UncleTom Well-Known Member

Is there a demand for wringer washing machines? I know where there is a used everything store that has at least a dozen of them inside.

9. Dawndra

Dawndra I'm back

really? you could sell them on this board I bet!

I have 2 other friends that use them all the time.

10. Mel-

Mel- Well-Known Member

my grandmother always had a wringer washer and have great memories of helping her. I didn't know anyone still used them. I wanted my grandmothers but it's buried in a barn that fell on it !

so far as how to use them. What she did was use a hose to fill it up (she would roll it outside onto the back porch, she lived in middle tennessee and could do this most of the year). She would wash everything in the same water (hand dug well which went dry always in july and august). she had a double well aluminum (I think, a very light metal) washing tub on wheels that stayed outside except on washing day. Each side probably held 10 gallons of water. Wash, run through wringer, have tub set up right next to washer so clothes fell into that tub as they came out of the wringer. have handiest kid stir clothes in rinse water with wooden stick (broom handle). when all clothes out of washer into first tub, run through wringer again and drop into second tub of clean water. handy kids stirs clothes in this tub too. run through wringer last time and hang on line. wash, rinse, repeat ;)

her wringer would twist all around so you could move the wringer to where you needed it over the rinse water tubs without moving the washer.

mel-

11. Dawndra

Dawndra I'm back

I think that's exactly what I have... I'm getting a double rinse tub from a friend. for free! WOO HOO!!

I did 6 loads of laundry today with 45 galons of water... that beats carying inside 40 gallons for each load...

12. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

I want a wringer washer soooooo bad!!
    I have used one many times in my life and always loved it.
    Now hanging out clothes is another thing. Sometimes I do and some times I don't. I can't find one around here. The only ones I have seen are planted with flowers! :no:
    I also want a good price. :)

13. Melissa

Melissa member

I found my latest wringer washer at an auction for $8. It looked like brand new and even had the original book and receipt inside. I love to use the wringer it is so much faster than using the automatic and such a money and energy saver too. I have a single rinse tub, not a double one though.

I am glad you found the washer Dawndra, it will make your life with much easier!

14. Dawndra

Dawndra I'm back

It has been a real blessing! It's well worth the money!

Corky, You might put an ad in your local paper. Someone might have one that they'll be willing to part with cheap. Estate sales are another route. Good luck!

15. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

Lehmans have the replacement rollers, for your wringers.

16. desertdreamer

desertdreamer Well-Known Member

17. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

I had one for years, I don't know what ever happened to it. I loved that old machine,and boy did it run well.
    and my clothes got so clean. I always washed out side in the summer time.

18. Dawndra

Dawndra I'm back

I don't let my girls help run the clothes through. they can only be on the back side. I used to help my grandma with hers & know how they can be.

19. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

My grandmother used a stick to pick up clothes to put them in the wringer. Or at least I know she made us girls use the stick.
    The only bad thing I can remember about a wringer washer is they tend to snap buttons in half. You will be replacing buttons a lot but I think it would be well worth the trouble.
    For some reason they are soothing to use. The smell and sound of a wringer washer is still strong in my mind even though I haven't used one in over 30 years or more.

20. Melissa

Melissa member

When I am putting items through with buttons, I try to fold the clothing so that the buttons are on the inside. It really helps keep them from snapping. Also when putting jeans through it is easier to start them in leg first, folding them in half so that they zipper is inside.