Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone who knows me knows I could never eat my cows, so I end up going to the market for organic beef, wanted a couple of filets for dinner, $30 a pound, good goggly moogly, had no idea had gone up that much..friend getting back into cows, told me she was looking at an eight month old unregistered Dexter heifer for $1000.00 before I bought those steaks I would have thought that was a lot, now considering how very lovely she is and hand broke (she wants a milker) that seems like a steal, she bought a week old bottle bull calf for $250 bucks, and am learning now that is very fair...wow!! why on earth is beef going to bloody high??

·
Banned
309 Posts
Severe and extreme droughts, fires, extreme winter storms last winter, etc. All driving the market to record highs.
We already were having a cattle shortage. It's much worse now.
Were seeing unbelievable record prices right now.
$4,000 for bred Holstein heifers
$600 for wet umbilical drop calves
$3.15 a pound for beef heifers
Absolutely unbelievable!
This is only the beginning of the higher meat prices I believe. Takes a while for the prices to catch up to live weight prices.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
keep a close watch over your herds. prices like these make cattle a tempting target for thieves. (worth the risk)
This comment is a reality I'm afraid. I no longer graze sheep on my road paddocks and when I do, they are brought in at night. This is because I've lost 6 to two legged predators who felt they had more right to them than I did.

Beef is expensive everywhere and I have no compunction about hanging up one of our own - and we're not paying anything like what you are but it's still way more than I'm prepared to pay. Fillet here is about $NZ33.00 a kilo which is about 2.2lb.

Cheers,
Ronnie

·
Registered
64 Posts
The cattle stealing was starting to get pretty bad around here. The local authorities informed everyone they have the right to shoot on site it slowed down.
Although i have not researched it, i have been told we are selling beef to china. They are having trouble producing enough so they are buying ours. That would also explain a price jump.

Farm junkie

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Wasn't Brazil and other south American countries really jumping in the beef cattle game heavily over the past 15-20 years or so? Are they too dealing with shortages?

·
Thumb of Michigan
228 Posts
I have been buying week old bull calves. I bought some from the usual place monday and paid $200 each which is what they have been all summer. They are drying up for the next six months so I called another fella. He told me $335 each. Where does it end?

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
keep a close watch over your herds. prices like these make cattle a tempting target for thieves. (worth the risk)
Been quite a few cattle in this area go missing... I'm not talking one or two at a time either... but rather the whole small herd..

·
I calls em like I sees em
13,912 Posts
Depending which ag journal you read, the national beef cow herd is the smallest it has been since either the 1950s or 60s. Major drought in the southwest and Texas (no. 1 state for beef production), followed by pretty much nationwide extreme drought in 2012, sent a lot of cattle to slaughter that were still in their production years because there was no grazing or hay for them. Also there was a freak October blizzard that killed tens of thousands of cattle on the high plains last year.

Beef can't ramp up production nearly as fast as chicken or pork, it takes over 3 years from the time a heifer calf is born until her firstborn calf is ready to become beef.

This is further complicated by the fact that the US is both an importer and exporter of beef, so there are international forces at play, too.

Long story short, beef isn't going down in price anytime soon.

Reactions: haypoint

·
Banned
309 Posts
I have been buying week old bull calves. I bought some from the usual place monday and paid $200 each which is what they have been all summer. They are drying up for the next six months so I called another fella. He told me $335 each. Where does it end?

That's so cheap!! Holy cow!
Holstein bull calves/ wet umbilical $400 off the dairy $600 at auction
Beef calves are higher

1 - 20 of 54 Posts