Wow, it's really maple syrup!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Shygal, Mar 9, 2004.

1. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

My first attempt at maple syrup :) on a VERY small scale, hehe....only tapped about 8 trees, and am using the good old plastic gallon milk jugs.

Of course, I only got about a cup of syrup out of a LOT of sap this first boil, but boy does it taste good :haha: Now to make a pancake to put it on. :haha:

2. pcdreams

pcdreams Well-Known Member

you do of course realize you've made us all hungry. I'm expecting a "Sample" in the mail. :D

But seriously... Good work.

3. Kirk

Kirk Well-Known Member

That is awsome. I wish I had a few mature sugar maples. I once saw a sugaring operation as a young man and have wanted to do it myself ever since. Hmmmm, somehow Mrs Buttersworth just aint cutting it for me today.
    Kirk

4. Matt NY

Matt NY Well-Known Member

I only have a couple trees tapped, but it is good stuff. I get a pint or so a day.

5. Hughes

Hughes Well-Known Member

WOW!!!! Shygal!! I'm impressed, not to mention envious!! I miss all the Maples of the Northeast, I really need to plant some so my GRANDKIDS can someday enjoy it, since they'll probably not get big enough in my lifetime!!! :)

I pay 40/gallon for good NY syrup from my folks' neighbor who has been doing it for generations. So, you've got liquid gold there!!! :)

6. Peace n Quiet

Peace n Quiet Well-Known Member Supporter

Good going Shygal!! Isn't it yummy?! We just finished up here... made about 5 quarts.

7. doodles

doodles Well-Known Member

How far south will sugar maples grow?

8. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

Thanks for the kind words :)

Doodles, I was reading in my book, its not necessarily where sugar maples can grow, but where the climate is right for the sap to run.
    My book says all of New England, New York State, western Pennsylvania, and the mid west, especially Ohio, Indiana, Michigan and Wisconsin.

Tomorrow looks like a good day for sap to run, here's hoping!

9. bergere

bergere Just living Life

That is great Shygal, and it sounds like it tastes really good!!! :worship:

10. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

We are in southern Maryland and managed a couple of pints of syrup this year from about 8 trees. We have red maples rather than sugar maples, but it is the best tasting syrup ever!
    Rather than a sugar season we got about 2 weeks of good flow before the buds started to swell.

11. Bernadette

Bernadette Enjoying Polish Rabbits

We tapped about 100 trees last year, and haven't started yet this year. Anyway, I have two favorite treats during sugaring time. Take some of your syrup, boil it a little extra until it's a bit thicker, and then pour it on fresh snow. Roll it up on a popcicle stick and enjoy. Second one is to take some syrup that's only about 3/4 done, put it in a mug and top it up with dark rum. Oh nummy. (And I'm a non-drinker as a general rule!!)

12. Paramount

Paramount Well-Known Member

Here in midwestern Ontario, the first run of syrup is finished and for sale. We paid $44.00 cdn. for a gallon and near London it's selling for $42.00 cdn.
    What are the prices running up in northern Ontario, Bernadette?
    It's an excellent year for nature's "gold" and a sure sign of Spring.

13. Gimpy_Magoo

Gimpy_Magoo Well-Known Member

hmmmm, nothing like boiled tree blood poured over aborted ground and caked and fried wheat fetuses :eek: :D :D

whew, I better go to bed and start this day over again hunh...
    that's weird even for me ;)