Wow...I did it! Still shaky though!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Ravenlost, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

In the past 25 years I've shot a gun once...a couple years ago hubby had me practice with the .22 and he decided then I could shoot okay.

Well, I just had to shoot it again. The dogs were out in the yard raising a ruckus and when I went out to check they were surrounding the biggest cottonmouth I've ever seen! Don't know why the darn thing had to come up into the front yard (we do have a pond in the yard and had moccasin problems last year).

I guess it was the tone of my voice, but I got the dogs in the house promptly, found my glasses and went out there and blew that snake's head clean off...first shot! I fired two warning shots first to make him leave and he wouldn't...just raised his head like he was going to attack. So I blew it off!

Now I'm too scared to go out in the yard and move the body. And I'm afraid to let the dogs out...I don't want them messing with the dead snake.

I still can't believe I shot that snake's head off from 50 or more feet away.

2. Snowdancer

Snowdancer Well-Known Member

Good for you Ravenlost!! :goodjob: Those dang moccasins are nasty tempered little beasties!

I'm glad you turned out to be such a great marksman! Doesn't it make you feel good to know you did something you weren't sure you could do?? I've been there and it felt great to actually know you can protect yourself and your critters!! :cool:

Maybe you'll be ready for those tresspassing shooters the next time they mess around at your place!! Now, you know you can shoot about 8' above their heads if they get mouthy ;)

Glad you and the dogs are all ok!!

3. Ravenlost

Aim ABOVE them? I'd always planned to aim at their kneecaps!

I think what shook me up about this snake was that I dreamed about a pit viper last night...it had gotten loose and I was terrified because it was a VAMPIRE SNAKE. LOL...

4. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

You done good!

5. Snowdancer

Snowdancer Well-Known Member

Do you have cable tv?? A couple of weekends ago on the SciFi channel was a whole day devoted to 'fangs'-snake movies except BIG snakes, man eating snakes and 150' long snakes!! Now I don't mind snakes(unless they're in my direct path or by my front door) but a day of catching glimpes of snakes and more snakes even set me on edge!!

I know; should have turned off the tv, but it was hot, the AC was on and it was a mindless escape with a glass of iced tea! :shrug:

btw with tresspassers, I gave one warning shot 8' over their heads then the next is in a place they are much more likely to want to protect!
    You should see an armed guy tresspassing on a 4wheeler head off like a bat out of Hades when a 30-30 is pointed at the family jewels!! :bow:

6. galfriend

galfriend Well-Known Member

And I thought snake dreams meant money was coming your way :shrug:
    Glad ya got that critter before he hurt you or someone or your pets!
    Be Careful Ravenlost....also heard where there is one...there's one more.

7. Ravenlost

Yeah, I've always heard that about copperheads...they travel in pairs. Luckily, we haven't seen any copperheads here in the three years we've owned the place (knock on wood).

Nope, haven't been watching movies about snakes! Noooo...not watching those, or reading books about snakes. Now, I did read a vampire book recently. Have no idea how that turned into a dream about vampire snakes, but then, my mind works in mysterious ways.

I could use a little money coming my way. Unfortunately, seems my dream was meant to be taken literally.

8. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

9. Old Jack

Old Jack Truth Seeker

Be careful disposing of the remains. If you stick yourself on a fang you can still get poisoned.

10. Ravenlost

Old Jack...there aren't any fangs left, but I used the rake to pick it up. Haven't buried it yet. Gotta show hubby my trophy when he gets home from work tonight. I hung it in the trailer so the dogs couldn't get to it. Looks to be about 3 ft. long. Looked bigger when it was alive!

11. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

WWEEEHAAWWWW!!!! you go girl!! :dance:

12. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

ROFLOL...My DH says you must be doing something wrong cause each time he fires two warning shots the bad guys leave LOL.

13. tnborn

tnborn Well-Known Member

way to go Rave! :dance: Just be careful there may be more.
    tnborn

14. TimandPatti

TimandPatti Texas

:clap: wooooooohoooooooooo!
    Those moccasins scare me to death, they have no fear!

15. Ravenlost

LOL...I had to call my parents. Wanted my Daddy to know my brother isn't the only good shot in the family!

16. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate

Wow - I'm impressed.

That is really fantastic, :clap: :clap:

But be careful.

Angie

17. Ravenlost

I will be careful. Unlike my city-bred hubby I was raised to be careful. You won't catch me tromping through high grass or exploring in the overgrown areas of the ponds during the summer. NOPE, not me...I always have my eyes peeled for snakes, etc.

Hubby has finally stopped wearing shorts all the time though. Not because of snakes...because of poison ivy.

18. mysticokra

mysticokra Well-Known Member

Last year, I had a similar experience with a rattlesnake.
    After I blew his head off, the body crawled around for a couple of hours looking for it!

My MIL said "Snakes don't die until sundown".
    It's for sure that their autonomic response will still let them strike, so be careful handling a "dead one".

19. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

Now THATS what a gun on the homestead if for. I have no kids around and keep old beater guns in every barn. covered in motor oil wraped in cloth with a handfull of ammo. A 22 a 12 gage a 20 gage and an old bolt action 30-06. 22 in the horse barn for small critters 12 gage in the workshop for general use 20 gage in a back shed for small critters and the 30-06 in the barn loft in case one of those pesky whitetails decide to attack.

mikell

20. trappmountain

trappmountain Well-Known Member

GREAT JOB!!

I suggest all of us country woman learn to use a gun and have one of our own. I do have kids so I do have to keep it locked up. But I know how to get to it and how to use it. I am not a perfect shot but I land in the general vacinity of where I aim. So I can get the job done when needed. Especially us that take care of the homestead a lot on our own.

Watch out for more RL! Keep your gun with you for a few days just in case!