WOW!! Amazing what a little rain will do!!!

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by HoosierDeb, May 20, 2005.

1. HoosierDeb

HoosierDeb Well-Known Member

Planted stuff Tuesday, tomatoes, peppers, melons, squash and potatoes.. watered the lettuce, radishes spinach and onions that have been growing for a couple of weeks.. even ate a couple of tiny radishes as I thinned the rows some. It rained Weds and part of yesterday. Went out a little while ago and picked a whole hand-sized bunch of real eating-sized radishes... round red ones and cylindrical red with white tips... wish I'd written down which seeds I bought. Anyway, I feel like I really have a garden now! Bad news is, I think something dug up the potatoes.... If they don't come up I don't think I'll replant. I still need to plant beans, broccoli, cauliflower and some corn. I was already thinking I wasn't going to have enough room so maybe this is a blessing in disguise. I don't eat a lot of potatoes anyway and they can usually be bought pretty reasonably so will forgo them for this year and try again next.Tomatoes, peppers squash and melons look good though. I'm doing a happy dance. This is my first real garden. I think I'll go buy some garden fence though. I do have lots of rabbits and there is at least one groundhog out in the old barn ruins near the garden.

2. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

Were your cylindrical ones perhaps French Breakfast radishes? They are very nice!

Cool about your garden. We have had our rain, I'm afraid, time to haul out the hoses!

hollym

3. HoosierDeb

HoosierDeb Well-Known Member

Yes, I think you're right. French breakfast radishes. I think the others were called something like red globe... not sure exactly. When I go back to the garden market I'll ask Ron. Black seeded simpson lettuce is finally doing well. The red leaf lettuce is so-so but I've been pretty haphazzard in my planting... sprinking the seed over the whole bed rather than planing in rows, then watering after covering the seed but I think a lot of it ran together with the water and so it's growing in clumps. The spinach hasn't done so well. Did plant it in rows but the germination has been scanty. I'll probably get a little bit but not much from it. I can see I didn't plant enough onions but at least I'll have some.

4. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

We need rain so bad! Hubby said he did a rain dance, but I think he danced backwards because we watched the rain go around us yesterday. SIGH...