Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found a bunch of wounds on one of my does. Every time I look at her im finding more. Im guessing they are from bugs. There is one on her breastbone that looks a couple of days old and cruddy but the rest that im finding look fresh. I combed her but didnt see any fleas or lice so Im thinking maybe its chiggers or she laid on an ant pile or something. What do you guys think? And should I clean all of them, just the bad looking ones or leave it alone?

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
What's the weather been like for you? I ask because one year we had a couple weeks of exceptionally hot/humid, never ooled down at night weather and I had one goat that kept poppping up with small wounds. Sent a picture to our goat vet and turns out he was getting hot spots. I washed him with a medicated shampoo and it cleared right up.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What's the weather been like for you? I ask because one year we had a couple weeks of exceptionally hot/humid, never ooled down at night weather and I had one goat that kept poppping up with small wounds. Sent a picture to our goat vet and turns out he was getting hot spots. I washed him with a medicated shampoo and it cleared right up.
It has been pretty hot and humid (96* but 110 with humidity). I could definitely see this being heat rash now that you bring it up. Do you have any recollection of what type of medicated shampoo it was?

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
It has been pretty hot and humid (96* but 110 with humidity). I could definitely see this being heat rash now that you bring it up. Do you have any recollection of what type of medicated shampoo it was?
It's been a while but seems to me it had Vetericyn in it. Sorry, was a couple years ago. Seems my vet recommended it. Tomorrow morning, I'll look in the barn. Sometimes I keep the empty bottles for this very reason. If I have it, I'll let you know what it was.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's been a while but seems to me it had Vetericyn in it. Sorry, was a couple years ago. Seems my vet recommended it. Tomorrow morning, I'll look in the barn. Sometimes I keep the empty bottles for this very reason. If I have it, I'll let you know what it was.
When your goat had it did it get bad fast? Ive been sick all day so I let the goats out to browse this morning and spent all day inside. I just went out to get a look at her and it looks much worse than it did yesterday. Its bad enough that if I had the money I would throw her in my truck and take her to the vet, but Im hard up for money until october. Shes eating normally and keeping with the herd but the wounds are much larger and her coat looks rough. Im still waiting for the shampoo to arrive, in the mean time does this look like something aside from heat rash?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Warbles? Fly infestation. The larvae burrows under the skin. Treat each hole with a drop of Ivermectin.

Im not so sure thats what it is, ive seen those in the past and this really doesnt look like it to me. Its more like shes either chewing or something is eatting at her top layer of skin. So it might be fleas even though I cant find any from combing her.

Also, Im not sure if this has anything to do with it but she is starting to lose her all white coat and flecks of black and copper, which is the color her mother has, are coming in.

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
42,267 Posts
I would treat a couple of the spots with a drop of Ivermectin and see what happens.

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
When your goat had it did it get bad fast? Ive been sick all day so I let the goats out to browse this morning and spent all day inside. I just went out to get a look at her and it looks much worse than it did yesterday. Its bad enough that if I had the money I would throw her in my truck and take her to the vet, but Im hard up for money until october. Shes eating normally and keeping with the herd but the wounds are much larger and her coat looks rough. Im still waiting for the shampoo to arrive, in the mean time does this look like something aside from heat rash?

View attachment 98649
No, I think this is not hot spots. I'd go with Alice's position at this point. Maybe a medicated wash won't hurt, but I don't think it's going to fix this on it's own. Do you have a vet you can send a picture to that won't charge you the cost of a visit?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No, I think this is not hot spots. I'd go with Alice's position at this point. Maybe a medicated wash won't hurt, but I don't think it's going to fix this on it's own. Do you have a vet you can send a picture to that won't charge you the cost of a visit?
Im checking with my neighbors to see if theres any vets aside from the one that I know about. All of the sores are on her left side. And all either on her legs or very close to them. They also dont look any worse today than they looked yesterday.

Since shes licking them should I use the ivermectin thats ok for oral dosage or does it not really matter?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts