wound on dog's paw

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by stargazzer277, Aug 3, 2004.

1. stargazzer277

stargazzer277 New Member

Yesterday my puppy cut his paw on something. It never bled, we just noticed that he was limping. One of the "pads" on the bottom of his paw is cut all the way through, and you can see red flesh underneath. He has been licking it. Not sure if he needs to go to the vet or what. It's kind of hard to treat since it's on the bottom of his foot. HELP!

2. idontno

idontno Well-Known Member

He will be fine.....

3. westbrook

westbrook In Remembrance

Here is how I handle serious cuts on the pads....

Go get horse wrap (wal-mart in the animal section, usually blue but comes in red, purple, green, black, pink and other bright colors) it is self adhering, Used on horses legs.

Gauze and sticky tape..it is late and the name of the medical tape escapes me and I don't want to run out to the barn. It is next to the gauze in the pharmacy.

I use an antibiotic cream on the pad and some on the gauze. Place the gauze over the cut and wrap with horse wrap around the foot and up the leg. Be sure it isn't wrapped too tight. Now use the tape over this. The horse wrap keeps the tape from sticking to the fur, the tape holds the horse wrap secure.

It will come off in 4 or 5 days, check the foot and re-wrap if necessary.

4. BrushBuster

BrushBuster Well-Known Member

i've had a few to get some nasty cuts on thier paws. i never found anything to work quicker than thier tounge.

5. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

Greetings from Montana! My dogs get cuts on their pads pretty often, esp during the winter with the ice since they wont wear boots. If the wound is not continously bleeding dont worry about it. The dog licking is the best thing for it! I have even had my dogs come up and lick my wounds and help them heal! If it is bleeding off and on you could put some triple antibiotic ointment on it and wrap it , not too tight, with one of those self stick ace type wraps over night to let the ointment get into the spot with out spot licking it all off.

6. ozarkin'it

ozarkin'it Well-Known Member

get the wound absolutely clean with no dirt in their. coat it inside and out with unpasturized table honey. twice a day, unbandage and clean with a disinfectant cleaner, such as novalsan. tractor supply carries it, or if you are good with your vet, he wil give it very cheap.-- then recoat with honey and rewrap. keep the dog in a cage to prevent walking on the wound. Honey repels infection and promotes healing so quickley that if there is a dirt particle in there, it will heal in there. he should be ready for walking in a week.
    I had a dog that ate her toe off once. the vet told me about the honey thing, and her whole toe grew back with tiny hair stubble in three weeks. good luck!

7. ozarkin'it

ozarkin'it Well-Known Member

oh! forgot something. A suggestion for sisterpine. Have you ever heard of a product called mushers secret? Its like a waxy susstance that comes in a little jar- kinda like bag balm- but much thicker. I put it on my dog pads every day, or every other during the rough weather season. also in between the pads. it keeps ice from forming there and keeps the pads protected. As I have year round working dogs, they do alot of winter foot work. It really helps. I got mine from a dog supply catalog. It is a little costly because the container is small, but worth the cost to me. Nair a cut pad from the cold since I started using it.

8. januaries

januaries Well-Known Member

I'm glad to hear all these ideas.

My dog had a cut on her paw and I treated it with peroxide and polysporin. I didn't have any special first aid supplies. I just taped on a folded napkin with masking tape, then made a "sock" for her out of the foot of a pair of stockings (thicker than pantyhose, but I guess they'd work too). It mostly served just to keep the mud from collecting in the wound when she went outside. I kept her inside as much as possible and put her sock on for going out.