Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
If I need a Shelter
21,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Must have been a Good year for Hornets Nest around here.

I always hate walking in the woods and hitting one about Head high.

big rockpile

·
Registered
13,303 Posts
Wow, those are impressive!

I only found one in a shrub close to the house, it was about the size of a football.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Be careful because there could still be hornets in those nests. Not sure how to make sure that they are all dead though.

·
Registered
13,303 Posts
Hey, Rock, that explains all those bodies they've been finding around your parts :D :eek:

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I once came across a hornets nest in some shrubs in our back yard. I dared DH to run up and slap it. He DID!!! And then went running around the house waving his arms.

Yes, and he's aaalllll mine. ;)

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Kayaking down our local river saw about half a dozen in a few miles. Luckily none too close to where we had to go.

·
Premium Member
8,840 Posts
I don't know what it is,but a hornets nest is one of the hardest things to spot, for me anyway. Im always in the danger zone when I spot one :eek:and its "EXIT STAGE LEFT" as old Snagglepus used to say. Eddie,one running fool.

·
Level II -Inappropriate
3,158 Posts
I would love to find one. I always thought they looked so cool and would look nice on my front porch.

·
Katie
19,970 Posts
We have one about the size of the one in your son's right hand(the smaller of the 2) at the peak of our garage. I noticed it & it was small & all of a sudden it was huge. Been waiting for really cold weather & DH will climb up there & tear it down. They really do look cool as a decoration on a porch or something though. There's a store here that sell all kinds of things for feeding birds, etc. here & they have a really big one on a tree limb in the store as a decoration.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Those are bald faced hornets nests.

Last year we had one high on a spindly twig at the top of a tall tree right over the goats' night pen. We talked to an exterminator about getting it taken down and he didn't have tall enough poles to deal with it.

He told us that bald faced hornets rarely cause any trouble, and that even that big nest on a tiny twig was likely to stay up just fine until winter. We did some more looking into it, even writing to a university professor that specializes in bald faced hornets and we kept hearing the same thing: That they don't bother people and that they eat yellow jackets.

Sure enough, that nest stayed up fine until we took the tree down that winter. The baldies got rid of the yellow jackets and even though we'd see the baldies flying around a bunch they never bothered us at all.

This year we had no yellow jackets near the house or gardens at all, and after the leaves fell we spotted three big baldie nests that had been hidden up in the trees.

Even the sight of empty baldie nests discourages yellow jackets and it seems to discourage other types of wasps from setting up housekeeping.

I wasn't too keen on the advice just to leave the baldie nest alone that first year, but now I'm really glad we did and bald faced hornets are always welcome on our land.

Lynda

·
Animal Addict
12,209 Posts
Wow. I am never coming to your house!! I am petrified of bees, sheer bee-phobia. I am the idiot you do not want to be driving around if I have a bee/wasp in my car....I will let go of the wheel, scream and crash into an embankment. I also cannot focus on where I am driving, my attention is on that blasted bee in the back window...

We have these suckers around here called Cicada Killers. They are ground wasps that are about 4" long. They do not chase me and I am given to understand they are harmless, but I am sure there is a plot for them to take over the world. Laugh now; you'll be sorry when we have to learn to speak wasp-eese.

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
I am deathly allergic to bee/wasp stings. My dad was too. I try and steer clear. They seem to sense when someone is allergic and target that person. I'm sure it's part of their evil plot to destroy all of mankind and take over the earth. :cool:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts