Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Rockin In The Free World
1,058 Posts
I suppose sometimes you do what you gotta do - if a 550mhz is all you have then give it a go. Lots of folks are tossing out low end P4 systems because of hard drive failure, power supply failure, etc. - perhaps keep your ears open and scoop up one of those. Try Craigslist, Kijiji, etc.

The 100gb drive in a P3 is obviously not stock - so it has been replaced not so long ago - perhaps less than 3 years. 512mb is high as well for a stock P3, so no doubt that has been upgraded.

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
...run windows xp pro on a 550 mhz processor, 512mb ram, and 100gb hdd?
processor speed concerns me most....

If all your doing is your typical email, web access then it will be fine. If your planning on image or video editing then your going to be slow.
I have several laptops in this range and they are fine with XP pro.
Takes a few seconds longer to load software but once loaded your not going to know the difference for most typical home apps.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input. This will not be a main computer, it will be a secondary. I'll give it a try and see how it goes. I know low end, as well as high end p4 systems are dirt cheap, but would like to try to use what I have laying around before I drag something else into the house. And yes, it will just be for emails and the web. Absolutely nothing else. and the 100gb hdd and 512mb are NOT stock, as someone mentioned. This was stuff I had laying around that I was going to use.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Sounds like a good machine to try Linux on.

Ken in Glassboro, NJ
I second that. Burn one of the widely available live CDs, boot it up and you can test how it works without actually installing anything.

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
While you can run linux on it, most "modern" non stripped down Linux use as much memory as XP will if you want a graphical display. You can go with a stripped linux and minimal graphics if any and it would be fine but you would get no more functionality than you would with XP on the machine.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I second that. Burn one of the widely available live CDs, boot it up and you can test how it works without actually installing anything.
hmm, another Linux guy. Must be something to do with the user name. :rolleyes:

At 550mhz, it makes a big difference whether it's a PIII or Celeron. Celerons run the memory slower, so at that speed they'll be a lot more sluggish. That said, a friend of mine runs PCLinuxOS (full version with KDE graphical interface) on a 533mhz Celeron with 192MB memory. It's sluggish, for sure, but quite useable for most common tasks.

In any case, with 512MB it'll do better than a much faster machine with less memory, whether XP or Linux.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's a PIII. I don't have enough time to work on this project right away, but I will this weekend and I'll let everyone know how it went. I'll also try a Linux distro on a live cd. I am very familiar with Ubuntu, so I'll give it a whirl. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts