Would you? Ultimate Homesteading

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Bladesmith, Dec 22, 2003.

Homesteading on another world

1. Are ya nuts? I can't cope with the bugs on this world!

2. Hmm. Doubtful. Will there be a Starbucks nearby?

3. Sure! Can I bring my Han Solo outfit?

4. Only if its really, really safe

5. Beam me up Scotty! When do I leave?

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Bladesmith

Bladesmith Well-Known Member

Given the opportunity, and sufficient advancements in technology, would you be part of the colonization of another planet, say, Mars? Granted, the egghead geeks can design this and that, but when it really comes down to terraforming, they'll need people that really know how to get into the dirt and grow things. Would you be up for it? It really would be the ultimate homesteading adventure.

2. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

I'd have to ask DW but I think it would be the experience of a lifetime.

Mike

3. colonization method used in Australia comes to mind.....no offense intended

4. COUNT ME IN. I'm rapidly approaching age 60 and need another great adventure in my life to spice things up a bit. Perhaps I should just get married. lol.

Many of my ancestors were in America prior to 1700, so if they can set off on such a somewhat unknown adventure, I should be able to also.

Being a fan of the many Star Trek type shows---heck there are some beautiful creatures out there to keep me company and show me the ropes.

Where's the dotted line to sign on?

5. j.r. guerra in s. tx.

j.r. guerra in s. tx. Well-Known Member

Ooooooooooh, excellent question . . . the 'Lewis 'n Clark' side of me sez 'yeah baby, go for it - what an adventure!'

But another part of me tells me I'd sure miss Earth. Mars looks awful monotonous, and I don't think I could be a 'bubble boy' for a long period of time - I need to feel the sun on my back and the wind on my face.

So thanks, but no thanks. I think Elton John's song 'Rocket Man' sums it up for me.

6. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    Would there be a Starbucks close by? :rolleyes: ;) Sure sign me up as long as the planet has decent climate and isnt too sandy. Unless of course they can develop a little hover wheelchair while they are sending us off to Mars. Maybe a nice anti gravity belt so I can float like a balloon.

7. Don Armstrong

Don Armstrong In Remembrance

Problem with that is that the colonists may revolt. Check it out - the reason that Australia was colonised is that they could no longer ship their convicts to the Americas. So that accounts for how the USA was colonised.

Well, Mark - I've always said that what I really want from liife is to be a farmer in a hollow asteroid. Tunnel farms towards the centre of spin, where the "gravity" (centrifugal effect) was low might suit you. I'll take that, but I'll also take an inside surface where you've got a lot of "open" space overhead, until ultimately you see the upside-down neighbours far overhead. And I'll also walk out to the "verandah" from time to time for the ultimate in "open-air" views - the universe about you.

Of course, the big thrill is that once you're in a spaceship - and a BIG spaceship is just what that would be - you don't need to stay still. Harvest a few comets for reaction mass, and then set off for the next-best candidate in solar systems, a few light years away. Of course, I wouldn't live to walk on those new worlds, but I'd be taking my own "new world" with me (or it me), and I'd know that my descendants would be some of humanities eggs that had moved to a new basket, rather than being tethered to a single world around a single somewhat unstable star.

Of course, if I can't do that, then terraforming Mars (or even Venus - big job but maybe a bigger payoff than Mars) would be a good step in the right direction.

8. Sounds good, now all of ya'll need to send me $10 bucks each, just to ...ah...get the paperwork started. LOL :)

9. Mike_and_Tina

Mike_and_Tina Member

My wife and I would like to homestead our own asteroid or small planetoid.
    In a way, the mineral-rich asteroid belt is the "gold rush" of the future waiting
    to happen. Just like Americans drawn west in the early 19th century by the
    lure of gold and silver, Earthlings will be drawn outward by the lure of
    profitable mineral mining and the harvest of rare-earth elements. Indeed, we
    may be pushed to this by overpopulation and the decline of our abused
    ecosystem. Let us only hope we do not bring our plagues with us. I hope we
    do not trash the stars the way we have trashed this planet.

It is our next step and it is what we were meant to do, by design.

We have closley studied hundreds of nearby stars while searching for life and
    our own sun is the only example of a star system laden with planets and
    exploitable raw materials. Most other star systems lay claim to a single
    gas giant or other solitary body. We have thousands of planetary bodies
    that are loaded with valuable materials. Now we need only to grow up before
    we grow out, lest we bring our stupidity with us.

Mike

10. Grandmotherbear

Grandmotherbear Well-Known Member Supporter

:haha: The commune where my exhusband and I were living in the late 60's actually planned to join the L5 society - it was an organization devoted to the establishment of spacestations for living and working- and really triggered me, as a teenager, into learning so much about so many different aspects of homesteading...that said, I work in a windowless cubicle, and am sent outside every now and then by my coworkers "to get a hit of outdoorsy stuff" since they notice that frustration and blood pressure rise the longer I am cubiclized!!No, don't think I could make it without the great wide open spaces of blue sky and forest and plain. .

11. jessandcody

jessandcody Well-Known Member

Homestead in Space
    Sounds like a movie plot
    I could never leave this planet....I wont give up hope that a mass humman die off will bring a new "nervana" for the homesteader types! Hey if your going to dream....dream big right:) I gess Im too connected to this land and all its wonder to make such a drastic move.

Cody

12. Nancy in Maine

Nancy in Maine Well-Known Member

"Only if it's really really safe"

Wouldn't that be just the ultimate experience? Homesteading on another planet! But I'm sort of a stickler about things like having air to breathe.

13. Kirk

Kirk Well-Known Member

I'm not certain I want to make the trip myself but if it would help the cause I'd be happy to sent out the clones.
    Kirk

14. june02bug

june02bug Well-Known Member

If I can't have mother earth for get it.

15. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Kirk-- "Send in the clones...don't bother they're here..." :haha:

16. Bladesmith

Bladesmith Well-Known Member

If I can't have mother earth for get

Wheres your sense of adventure honey? :D

17. Sedition

Sedition Well-Known Member

A desert wasteland like Mars? No. I’d rather colonize the Gobi. In all honesty and with what we can tell about Mars today, Mars and the Gobi have about the same amount of water. Drinking refined pee for 40 years until I die from accidental decompression just doesn’t sound that great.

Now, 400 years of cryogenic sleep and the opportunity to set foot on an N2/O2 plant around another star???

I could go for that.

I just don’t want to see Sigourney Weaver or I’ll freak.

18. kabri

kabri Almst livin the good life

I don't even have to ask him, DH would go with me in a heartbeat! We happen to be very good at raising animal, and our garden is usually extremely productive as well. With our hankering for being as self-sufficient as possible, I would think folks like us would be in demand for a journey like that!

19. Karen

Karen Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm having a hard enough time homesteading here! LOL! :rolleyes:

20. Cindy in KY

Cindy in KY Well-Known Member

No Way Jose. :no: But thanks for the offer anyway. I'll just stay here on my little chunk of Kentucky and watch your 'Moo Cows on Mars' show on my big screen TV. :haha: