Homesteading Forum banner

Homesteading on another world

• Are ya nuts? I can't cope with the bugs on this world!

• Hmm. Doubtful. Will there be a Starbucks nearby?

• Sure! Can I bring my Han Solo outfit?

• Only if its really, really safe

• Beam me up Scotty! When do I leave?

Results are only viewable after voting.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Given the opportunity, and sufficient advancements in technology, would you be part of the colonization of another planet, say, Mars? Granted, the egghead geeks can design this and that, but when it really comes down to terraforming, they'll need people that really know how to get into the dirt and grow things. Would you be up for it? It really would be the ultimate homesteading adventure.

U

·
0 Posts
colonization method used in Australia comes to mind.....no offense intended

U

·
0 Posts
COUNT ME IN. I'm rapidly approaching age 60 and need another great adventure in my life to spice things up a bit. Perhaps I should just get married. lol.

Many of my ancestors were in America prior to 1700, so if they can set off on such a somewhat unknown adventure, I should be able to also.

Being a fan of the many Star Trek type shows---heck there are some beautiful creatures out there to keep me company and show me the ropes.

Where's the dotted line to sign on?

·
Registered
678 Posts
Ooooooooooh, excellent question . . . the 'Lewis 'n Clark' side of me sez 'yeah baby, go for it - what an adventure!'

But another part of me tells me I'd sure miss Earth. Mars looks awful monotonous, and I don't think I could be a 'bubble boy' for a long period of time - I need to feel the sun on my back and the wind on my face.

So thanks, but no thanks. I think Elton John's song 'Rocket Man' sums it up for me.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Would there be a Starbucks close by? :rolleyes: ;) Sure sign me up as long as the planet has decent climate and isnt too sandy. Unless of course they can develop a little hover wheelchair while they are sending us off to Mars. Maybe a nice anti gravity belt so I can float like a balloon.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Unregistered said:
colonization method used in Australia comes to mind.....no offense intended
Problem with that is that the colonists may revolt. Check it out - the reason that Australia was colonised is that they could no longer ship their convicts to the Americas. So that accounts for how the USA was colonised.

FolioMark said:
Sure sign me up as long as the planet has decent climate and isnt too sandy. Unless of course they can develop a little hover wheelchair while they are sending us off to Mars. Maybe a nice anti gravity belt so I can float like a balloon.
Well, Mark - I've always said that what I really want from liife is to be a farmer in a hollow asteroid. Tunnel farms towards the centre of spin, where the "gravity" (centrifugal effect) was low might suit you. I'll take that, but I'll also take an inside surface where you've got a lot of "open" space overhead, until ultimately you see the upside-down neighbours far overhead. And I'll also walk out to the "verandah" from time to time for the ultimate in "open-air" views - the universe about you.

Of course, the big thrill is that once you're in a spaceship - and a BIG spaceship is just what that would be - you don't need to stay still. Harvest a few comets for reaction mass, and then set off for the next-best candidate in solar systems, a few light years away. Of course, I wouldn't live to walk on those new worlds, but I'd be taking my own "new world" with me (or it me), and I'd know that my descendants would be some of humanities eggs that had moved to a new basket, rather than being tethered to a single world around a single somewhat unstable star.

Of course, if I can't do that, then terraforming Mars (or even Venus - big job but maybe a bigger payoff than Mars) would be a good step in the right direction.

U

·
0 Posts
Sounds good, now all of ya'll need to send me $10 bucks each, just to ...ah...get the paperwork started. LOL :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
My wife and I would like to homestead our own asteroid or small planetoid.
In a way, the mineral-rich asteroid belt is the "gold rush" of the future waiting
to happen. Just like Americans drawn west in the early 19th century by the
lure of gold and silver, Earthlings will be drawn outward by the lure of
profitable mineral mining and the harvest of rare-earth elements. Indeed, we
may be pushed to this by overpopulation and the decline of our abused
ecosystem. Let us only hope we do not bring our plagues with us. I hope we
do not trash the stars the way we have trashed this planet.

It is our next step and it is what we were meant to do, by design.

We have closley studied hundreds of nearby stars while searching for life and
our own sun is the only example of a star system laden with planets and
exploitable raw materials. Most other star systems lay claim to a single
gas giant or other solitary body. We have thousands of planetary bodies
that are loaded with valuable materials. Now we need only to grow up before
we grow out, lest we bring our stupidity with us.

Mike

·
Premium Member
9,245 Posts
:haha: The commune where my exhusband and I were living in the late 60's actually planned to join the L5 society - it was an organization devoted to the establishment of spacestations for living and working- and really triggered me, as a teenager, into learning so much about so many different aspects of homesteading...that said, I work in a windowless cubicle, and am sent outside every now and then by my coworkers "to get a hit of outdoorsy stuff" since they notice that frustration and blood pressure rise the longer I am cubiclized!!No, don't think I could make it without the great wide open spaces of blue sky and forest and plain. .

·
Registered
200 Posts
Homestead in Space
Sounds like a movie plot
I could never leave this planet....I wont give up hope that a mass humman die off will bring a new "nervana" for the homesteader types! Hey if your going to dream....dream big right:) I gess Im too connected to this land and all its wonder to make such a drastic move.

Cody

·
Registered
542 Posts
"Only if it's really really safe"

Wouldn't that be just the ultimate experience? Homesteading on another planet! But I'm sort of a stickler about things like having air to breathe.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I'm not certain I want to make the trip myself but if it would help the cause I'd be happy to sent out the clones.
Kirk

·
Registered
724 Posts
If I can't have mother earth for get it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
A desert wasteland like Mars? No. I’d rather colonize the Gobi. In all honesty and with what we can tell about Mars today, Mars and the Gobi have about the same amount of water. Drinking refined pee for 40 years until I die from accidental decompression just doesn’t sound that great.

Now, 400 years of cryogenic sleep and the opportunity to set foot on an N2/O2 plant around another star???

I could go for that.

I just don’t want to see Sigourney Weaver or I’ll freak.

·
Almst livin the good life
1,126 Posts
I don't even have to ask him, DH would go with me in a heartbeat! We happen to be very good at raising animal, and our garden is usually extremely productive as well. With our hankering for being as self-sufficient as possible, I would think folks like us would be in demand for a journey like that!

·
Premium Member
9,544 Posts
I'm having a hard enough time homesteading here! LOL! :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts