Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
garden guy
3,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am really hustling this time of year when I am not selling my produce I am working to pick it and prepare it, Really good chance I will be selling my 3 acres and good home with all amenities and basically trade it for 60 acres pretty raw land so will be really busy this fall also when/if I move I will be just 4 miles from library computers and I promise this winter I will participate much more and will fill you all in on my thoughts experiences and progress.I just dont have the time now as I have to make hay while the grass is green. My present place is wonderful but near a busy road that seperates part of the property, it borders a national forest has two wells also a spring above hill in the national forest I can tap, a large organic garden that I can make a very basic frugal living on if I expand the lettuce beds a lot, Problem is it's just 2 acres and I have 4 cows 200 free range poultry of miriad varieties, milk goat, rabbits and more and I am just about utilizing every bit of the place and grazing the cows on the right of way and worring about cars when I cross the road twice a day with them to get back and forth to the barn and pasture for milking. I was blessed? with the opportunity to buy 80 acres near green forest AR it is about an hour 15 min away from the excellent farmers market in Fayetteville so I will probably only be able to sell there saturdays when it is packed with buyers right now I am selling tues morn thurs morn/eve and sat mornings.I can sell when I live at green forest in eureka springs its 25 miles away and the manager tells me it is a good place he makes as much as he did in fayetteville on thursdays Still anytime you move it's scary I guess. Definitely the gas costs/wear and tear are more but right now I am 45 min away from any market and 20 min from the nearest real store at the new place I will be 4 miles away from a library with computers which means I will be communicating with ya"ll a lot more in the winter also there are jobs near by if I should ever have to (shudder) work for others again.I could sell my place and if I sell 20 of the 80 to my mom I will have it paid for so I would be trading my present wonderful home for 60 acres with a 600 square foot rough plywood home/no plumbing but electric (smallest box I have seen maybe 50 amps) and a garage size 12k steel building it has a half mile long drive way thru two gates that I would need a 4 wheeler to get in and out of being rather rough in places infact I cant even get in now past the front gate with out filxing where it is washed out (the culverts over a usually dry stream were blocked up and after a heavy rain it flooded) I will have to build chicken houses to house my birds the ones there are way to small and in disrepair and pole barns for the cows/hay it is owner financed as I am selling my present home also.The best part is I have two years from when I make a down payment before the interest and payments start according to the verbal aggreement that will soon be done up by a lawer. So what do you all think? am I making a mistake? The new place will be a lot of work blood sweat tears and expence but I think perhaps worth it for the secluded location (no nais police will see my unchipped animals from the road anyway!) I think being realitively young and hard working I can make that place work and it has a lot of potential, I would like to do you pick berries eventually.Most of the place is rugged also and sadly the owner wants to log it first being steep I am concerned that all the soil will erode away. I guess I am not the first to struggle with this type of scenario my wife is against the whole thing and loves are present home though I am certain she will grow to love the other as well.Hope I asked you all a question in there some place, I have to go to work now again. Thanks for your thoughts missing ya"ll and looking forward to participating again in the winter with more regularity.Did not proofread this so sorry if it is sloppy.

·
Registered
7,100 Posts
I would guess the choice depends on your age, health, ambition level, ect. Myself, no, too old to start again.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I am almost 50 and looking at basically doing the same thing, tho hub will have to keep his regular job. it's way way out of the way, three and a half miles to power, and it's mostly what's called "unimproved", meaning, just trees. We have a lovely newer home on five acres and it just isn't enough to suit, neighbors too close, not enough space to really garden or put up the size greenhouse I want, etc. We are seriously considering this, even if it means a combination of solar and gen set, with wood heat back up. I have only a few ideas what to do to satisfy the ag requirements that are attached to the property, and it's location means a job for me is very iffy indeed. It's not that expensive as far as prices go right now, but large enough I am not sure we can swing it, and still get something built to live in. We're looking at it real hard, real hard. I figure at our age, it's time to go forward, or stay put.

But I still want it. You can't have too much acreage. Period.

·
Stableboy III
426 Posts
If your wife is against it, doesn't that pretty much veto the idea? Leaving the house she loves to move to a house with no plumbing and hoping she'll learn to love it seems like a sure road to marital strife at best. Teams need to be in agreement for major life-changing decisions like this.

·
Premium Member
2,965 Posts
I agree with caberjim. "If momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy."

And what about you? It sounds like you're meeting yourself coming and going. Where will you find the time to build more comfortable housing, amend that rough soil for your next organic gardens, etc. etc.?

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
WELL, I say camp out on the raw land for the weekend, thats all it took me to fall in love with it. sure it was hard for a little while but it was also a learning experience for me and my kids, we appreciate the amenities but we also know we can adjust to living without. Who knows she may fall in love with it too.

·
Banned
6,787 Posts
Can you buy the logs in place to keep it friom being logged? Can you at least specifiy some particular trees and areas to be unlogged?

·
garden guy
3,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
caberjim said:
If your wife is against it, doesn't that pretty much veto the idea? Leaving the house she loves to move to a house with no plumbing and hoping she'll learn to love it seems like a sure road to marital strife at best. Teams need to be in agreement for major life-changing decisions like this.
My wife did not like the present place at first either thought it was to far away from the city now she loves it. I am sure she would come to love the new place in time also, The main thing that concerns her is the condition of the half mile driveway to get into the place. Their is occasional strife in any marriage I hope unless mine is the exception we ceartainly have our share but in general all is well and I think she will deal with it if we move, though I am sure there will be tears. I am even sad at the thought of leaving, I think in the long run it will be better for us though even if we go thru a little hardship over the next few years.

·
garden guy
3,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
busybee870 said:
WELL, I say camp out on the raw land for the weekend, thats all it took me to fall in love with it. sure it was hard for a little while but it was also a learning experience for me and my kids, we appreciate the amenities but we also know we can adjust to living without. Who knows she may fall in love with it too.
We have been out there 4 times for afternoons and walked in a bunch of food for a barbecue once, it's an 80 mile trip one way from where we live now and I have to get back to take care of the milking and critters so camping is out of the picture for now though when we move there it will be like camping for a bit.The grass is high and their were so many ticks never seen so many, I told her I would cut the grass before we move there The kids tell me everytime they hear a 4 wheeler on the Hwy near are present home that are place is bad cause they have to hear the loud 4 wheelers and green forest is good they love the little kiddie size swimming whole in the creek there also.

·
garden guy
3,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
fantasymaker said:
Can you buy the logs in place to keep it friom being logged? Can you at least specifiy some particular trees and areas to be unlogged?
She said she would not clear cut it and leave the trees around the house, also I am going to ask her to leave the trees on the slopes around the creek as it is all steep land and the erosion will be terrible where ever they log. I could buy the place for 120k with the trees she is mistaken if she thinks she will make up the difference by logging I told her so but she still wants to log. She had some folks that were going to buy it and never paid her a penny and took out 30k worth of trees already and there is hardly enough left to log I think as did the young logger fellow that came along with me one day.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
The logging would probably be a deal breaker for me. If, as FM suggested, you could let him cut the choice trees for lumber without clear cutting, I could probably live with that. You did have a good point about erosion, however there are other ways to deal with erosion temporarily until some plantings grow back (no easy ones I've ever heard of but there are ways)

OOPS - synchronized typing.... LOL

1 - 14 of 14 Posts