Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I applied to a farm job(4 times) in the last 6 months.Theres not many farm jobs in this area and this one is 1000 acres with all the livestock etc.Finally yesterday they called and I went for the interveiw,,I knew the owner was a canankerous old coot but I NEED a job.Met the wife and sceretary and sat in the coffee shop(its a resort) and waited for the owner,,He showed up and the wife explained that I was there for the job..He grunted and glanced at me and even with her prodding he still wouldnt look at my resume.or me.
The wife and him got into a big argument in front of me and she left calling him "the rudest man she had ever met".I asked him what the job entailed and he said "farming".I was trying to figger if it was barn work or tractor work or both or what?He left me there with the secretary.I made small talk and asked if they had roosters(I am looking for hatching eggs).she says"We must..we get eggs".I didnt tell her you dont need a rooster to get eggs.Everyone seemed to be walking on eggshells around this man.I start today and dont have a good feeling about this at all..BUT...we shall see

·
Unapologetically me
20,817 Posts
Good luck, maybe he's just shy. :p
Seriously tho, some people, especially people who work alone a lot can lose their social skills.
Some of the best old guys I ever knew were cranky old curmudgeons until they got to know a person, then they were fine.
Give it and him a chance.

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Truth I wouldn't.Had one guy like that I worked for.My DW got kicked in the stomach by a cow.She was pregnate.Well I told him I had to take her to the Hospital.He told me to get my A out there and get them Cows milked. :flame: Well can't say here what I told him.

She lost the Baby :Bawling:

I have worked with some Farmers and Ranchers that I thought was great and loved it.

big rockpile

·
Registered
420 Posts
I was in a similar situation, and I also needed the job. Sometimes crazy spoiled people don't make good employers. Take the job if you really need it, but don't count on it as anything more than stop gap. I enjoyed my job and I worked as unto the Lord, that was my only compass in a warped situation.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
If you need the job, need the money - then take it. Do the very best you can.

Make sure everything is clear about your duties and document anything you are concerned about.

Fortunately, there are times on a farm when we can work ALONE! So maybe the ol' coot will be in the house, in front of the tv - sipping iced tea. The owner may not really be involved in the farm operation anymore anyway.

·
Columnist, Feature Writer
4,568 Posts
Not in a million years. Spending time there takes up time you can spend looking for a good job working for a reasonable person.

·
Rockin In The Free World
1,058 Posts
I once worked with an older lady - who had to be the grumpiest old bitty I'd met. Early on, I made a conscious effort to "be nice" regardless of how grumpy or rude she was. As time passed, I learned that she really was not as bad as I had originally thought - true, she lacked tact, was somewhat rude and lacked social skills - but she was a decent person and we got along very well.

I look back and I'm honestly glad that I had the chance to work with her - it taught me a great deal. Remember : you can choose to have a positive attitude regardless of what other people choose.

If you take the job, don't take the job personally - but do take the money :)

·
Registered
420 Posts
I'll tell you, some of the best farmers I know are like that. They come across as gruff and mean, but if you don't blow wind up their skirts, and are honest with em, they come around. One of em became a pretty good friend and mentor. One became my father-in-law. Come to think of it...... he never did come around........

·
Failure is not an option.
2,623 Posts
Hey.

Take the job. When you find something better, move on.

Remember, don't judge a book by it's cover.

RF

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just let him know you want to learn everything he has to teach you and do things his way. That should buy you some time until something else comes along.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I would take the job.

It will be the job you work while you are finding one you like.

·
Love it, or leave it...
402 Posts
Kill him with kindness. Maybe he'll realize he's being a horses hinder...

·
Registered
22 Posts
He may just be socially inept. I have work for a couple of people when I was in college and they were the same way, but once you got to know them, they would be sorry when I left and would talk highly of me to others (from what I heard). Take the job, don't judge a book by it's cover. I'll bet you two will get along fine (or maybe not LOL)

·
Premium Member
3,891 Posts
If you've applied 4 times there must be something about the place that appeals to you. You may have very little contact with this man. I'd take the job if it was me. Try to learn as much as you can, you may love it, and how else will you know if you don't try?

·
Premium Member
13,158 Posts
I'll bet his wife knows him well enough, I'd pass on the job.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
maybe the old guy worked the farm for many years, and now he cant do all that he used to, and has to get help. Sometimes that really affects people. having to depend on someone else .

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I went to the job yesterday..i thought I,d be working with the animals again and the machinery,After 7 hrs on my hands and knees..Then elbows, I told him Im otta here.I thanked him for the opportunity.(weeding carrots that were 1 in high with weeds 6 in high,),After 2 operations on my hands and one on my knee,Im just too old for that.Even my muscle spasms have charleyhorses today.
Back to the drawing board.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts