Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would you allow some one to bring their doe in to breed to your buck?
I worry about diseases. One of my Dh's freinds has rabbits and mentioned he might need a stud service for his does. Would you do it? For a fee or not? I have a very nice pedigreed NZW buck that I just paid $25 for.
My preference would be to get a pedigreed NZW doe of simalar or better type and sell replacement bucks and does.
Am I on the right track?

·
bluebird2o2
1,203 Posts
no because it would cost too much too replace my buck.I did loan one too my sister.I breed does for 4H kids if they bought the doe from me.bluebird

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I do let friends come and breed, but no one I don't know(I don't let anyone into my rabbitry unless I really know you).

I don't charge. It isn't like they don't have their own buck, but there is something that want from mine, which I don't mind at all.

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought a little $something$ for the oid feed bill would be appropriate.

Reauxman, do you use their buck also?
If I understand right this guy doesn't plan on having his own buck. wants to keep his does bred using some one elses.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I don't need their bucks. I have what I want. Usually the people who use my buck are newer. I've got some rabbits that I'm 8-10 generations of my own breeding with no new blood. I rather own the rabbit, and in over 12 years I've bred to someone else's buck 3 times.

Guess I know where my bread and butter is, and it isn't stud fees.

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's my point, he isn't going to pay me enough to replace my buck if his doe gives my buck or any of my does my buck breeds some illness.
I have no idea what type of performance he is getting from his line of rabbits.
Last time I had rabbits I had coccidiosis come into my herd from a rabbit we bought. So as you can tell I am a bit parinoid.

·
Premium Member
11,103 Posts
SquashNut, I wouldn't do it. I have a closed rabbitry and intend to keep it that way for as long as possible, for biosecurity reasons.

Instead, I suggest you offer DH's friend a nice young buckling either free or at a bargain price. Explain about biosecurity and how you would have to quarantine your own buck after it had "visitors". Point out that he should segregate the youngster from his other rabbits and that by the time it is ready to breed, the friend will know for sure it is healthy and can intergrate it into his rabbitry.

I don't want to be mean or judgmental, but it seems to me that the friend is either too cheap to support a buck of his own, or does not understand the importance of biosecurity.

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am trying to keep my rabbitry closed too. In fact my buck is in quarantine right now. I've only had him for 2 1/2 weeks any way.

·
Ex-homesteader
1,508 Posts
I've given stud service only a couple of times (people who had bought rabbits from me). I guess I wouldn't mind offering stud service for people I know, but I am concerned about disease transmission.

Besides, why sell stud service when you could sell a whole rabbit? :)

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
SquashNut said:
I am trying to keep my rabbitry closed too. In fact my buck is in quarantine right now. I've only had him for 2 1/2 weeks any way.
I think you just answered your own question. Give him a young weanling buck and let him raise him up.

If you did go ahead and do it, I'd ask for a bag of feed in return. It's only fair since he's saving that much by not having his own buck, and you just paid money for the buck in question!

Jennifer

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's going to be along time before I have a buckling to give him. Besides I have only been into rabbits for 2 monthes now, and I am into it $450. be along time before I give anything away.
For my $450 we've eaten 1 rabbit.

·
Premium Member
5,067 Posts
With me its the other way around, A girl down the street has A Spotted buck I want to breed my Spotted doe to. They only have the rabbit. Its A pet and they asked if I wanted to breed her to him. So its not like I'll do it more than once. But I have A extra Mature buck And I would let others use him. But if I did I would not use him myself Unless I had to.

·
Premium Member
11,103 Posts
SquashNut, you don't want to do this... You wouldn't be asking if you wanted to loan him your buck. It's not always easy to say no to people, but that needs to be the first word out of your mouth: "No, I don't loan bucks for stud services." "No, I wish I could help you out, but I have a closed rabbitry to protect my investment." "No, sorry, I don't want to do that. But here's where I got my buck. (Hand him the contact info) They have lots of great rabbits."

You have every reason to stand firm on this issue. I hope you DH understands your thinking and is not urging you to give in just because this fellow is his friend. If necessary, remind DH of the high cost of vet bills and how easily rabbit diseases can be spread. If none of this works, offer to sell the buck to the friend for the same price you paid... after you have bred your does again, of course.

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, now we have a problem, LOL. Your not gonna talk me into selling Joey. I kinda like him. LOL.

·
Premium Member
11,103 Posts
Well, then, scratch that last suggestion, SquashNut. I had the impression the buck was new and thought perhaps you had not yet bonded with him. But I can understand why you won't sell a nice buck with a sweet name like Joey.

Shall I go back and delete the last sentence?

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
SquashNut said:
Ok, now we have a problem, LOL. Your not gonna talk me into selling Joey. I kinda like him. LOL.

His name isn't Joey it's Elvis and he is for sale for the right price( but who wants to pay a house for a rabbit).

Bassketcher

1 - 16 of 16 Posts