Would you like to meet in person?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by MarleneS, May 12, 2005.

1. MarleneS

MarleneS Well-Known Member

THE THIRD ANNUAL FALL BUFFALO RIVER HOMESTEADERS GET TOGETHER WILL BE:

SEPTEMBER 16-18, 2005
    At Tyler Bend Group Camping, on the Buffalo River
    Near St. Joe, Arkansas
    Fees: $3 per night per person

If you are interesting in attending please let us know as soon as possible. We have one group camp site reserved and if there are signs we need more we need to know as soon as possible before they are reserved by some other group. There are also individual campsites nearby, but those one are on the first come bases.

I will keep a running post of who is planning on being in attendence -- just might be that one fellow homesteader you've been wishing to meet since becoming a member of this board.

Hope to See you There,
    Marlene

2. okgoatgal2

okgoatgal2 Well-Known Member

oo oo oo can i go???? hehehehehehe

these things are a blast...come one come all for good food and better company

3. EasyDay

EasyDay Gimme a YAAAAY!

Darn it! I'm gonna miss another one! We need to hurry up and move to the farm permanently so we can join in the festivities.

Oh, well... I'll be with ya'll in spirit!

4. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

hiya marlene!!!! i was just wondering about you!! how the heck are ya?? and glad to see you are still pulling this event together. :)

i'll not make it this time, i have a previous commitment. but i do want to tell everyone- this is a great bunch of homestead minded folks, and a GREAT opportunity to get together with other people who live the homesteading life. or even just want to. last year there were soap making and spinning demos, marlene's amazing campfire cooking in a dutch oven, and all kinds of things from their homes. there was a seed-swap, rabbit butchering demo and subsequent stew for dinner and i can't even remember what all. loads of fun, if you are within a days drive. the campsite is great too, easily accesible even for handicapped, and on a beautiful site on the river.

marlene, y'all are good folks, and tell everyone and mtnwoman i said howdy do!!

5. mtnmama

mtnmama Member

Id love to get together , but i hear your a mean ole lady.

6. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

Tyler Bend is where we spend our vacation every summer the weekend of the 4th, I don't know if I'll be able to vacation this year due to a new job but I don't think you could have chosen a more perfect spot! Hope everyone has fun!!

7. SWMoTom

SWMoTom Member

Marlene, it sounds like a great time. I live in Branson so I might drive down daily, the old body dosen't camp well. Is there motorhome facalities there??
    Do you have an agenda put together?? Can you post it??

You picked a beautiful location that everyone should enjoy. There is a great smoke house there with a very nice restaurant next door. Nice little ride from here.

Tom in SW MO.

8. MarleneS

EasyDay - yes, you do need to move to the farm soon - and Welcome to Arkansas when that is a done deal. Or welcome even if you only come for a visit.

Thanks for the great promo Marvella, sorry you won't be able to make this one. Had people asking about the dutch oven biscuits at our Spring Get together -- had to tell them that that was a team effort with you making the biscuits and me baking them. If your other plans get changed or cancelled hope you will be able to attend again.

:haha: mntmama - you know that rumor is only true when forced to fight fire with fire - the rest of the time I'm just a sweet soutern girl. You fire starters be afraid...be very afraid :rolleyes: mntmama you sound a lot like my niece. ;)

Catherine - surely by September you'll be able to ask for and get a three day weekend off? It sure would be great to get to meet you in person.

SWMoTom - the motorhome parking and individual tent campsite is just across the meadow or down the road from the GroupCamping sites. You can't reserve those -- it's an honor system of first come first serve, put your $5 in a box. Tater camped there last fall and would just walk over to group camping each morning. It's probably a lot quieter over there -- our group seems to forget the park rule about 10:30 PM - 6AM quiet time. Can I add you name to the list? Is there a Mrs.SWMoTom? Kids?

Kids and pets are invited - the pets have to remain on a leash at all times - according to park rules. We only require the really wild children to be on a leash...just kidding. It's a great weekend to bring your family and share the food and fun.

Come be one of the Stars in our show.

Marlene

9. marvella

marlene- i'd love to send you some of that flour, if i knew a way to send a 5# pkg. is there a reasonably cheap way of shipping heavy stuff like that? you e-bayers might know.

10. wy0mn

wy0mn Transplanted RedNeck

Sounds like a good time.
    Gonna have some tailgate sales of home-made goods? Perhaps some impromptu folk music? My wife plays 'everything', I can beat out two tunes on a dulcimer...
    My vacation is in July. Planned by my employer, not me.
    If our home sells around that time perhaps we could make a side trip on our way thru, but its hard to make any plans now.
    Hope ya'll have fun whether we make it or not.
    Lex/Karen

11. #1 DogMom

#1 DogMom Well-Known Member

Hi Marlene,
    We really wanted to come to last years get-together, but hubbys job is really booming this time of year. He has some vacation time built up this year so maybe we can make this happen! I'll see what "the boss" (I let him think so) says and get back to you. We'd love to meet everyone! Thanks so much for your time in putting this together for all of us.

Leanna

12. mtnmama

mtnmama Member

Geez, Aunto Mo
    It doesnt matter what name Im under you figure me out!!! Ill be up there soon!!
    Me and my boys, the rest of the gange will be there too for the weekend, then they'll come back this way for a few weeks. Been working on the camper, getting some things we may need, got me a 20 gage, some overalls, my rubber boots, Im gonna fit right in!!! LOve you
    Deb

13. MarleneS

Marvella - I'm trying to decide if it would be best if I sent you funds for flour and shipping -- I still have you snailmail address. Or not -- if I do the pressure will be greater to repeat your success with the biscuits, if I don't I can use that as the excuse for why mine weren't as great as yours. -- Just kidding, I'll try to get the funds to you in time to receive the flour before September.

WyOma - Those of us who have extra home made goods bring them to barter/sell/trade or just share. We usually set up and area to display and let the wheeling and dealing go on between the individuals. Feel free to bring your musical instruments - a jam session will be fun. As long as we obey the 10:30 PM quiet time. I sure hope your house sells in time for ya'll to come.

#1DogMom - hope "the boss" is in agreement with you about coming. Thanks for your appreication. After 6 of 'em (we have a Spring and Fall get together each year) organizing is getting easier all the time. All I do is keep track of who's coming and who's doing what demos when. The rest of the work is done by those in attendence.

mtnmama- are you and Rannie taking for granted that I just know ya'll are planning on camping out for the get together in September? Ya'll need o formally have me add you to the list - lol. Considering your list of what you'vegotten for your move to these beautiful Ozark hills -- I'm thinking maybe you've been listening to too much sterotypical ideas of hill people. Next thing I know you'll be smoking a corn cob pipe.

Hugs
    Marlene

14. mtnmama

mtnmama Member

oh oh,
    I gotta ad a corn cob pipe too? LOL

I dont think we'll miss that camp out. Love You

15. MTNwomanAR

MTNwomanAR Well-Known Member

To all of you that want to be here...you will NOT regret it.... it is a great time, with great people... and especially lots of great food...we do a lot of "grazing".... :haha:
    Marvella, sorry that things may not work out with you...but we can hope can't we??? ;)
    Marlene IS a mean person........ :p :D That's why her and my dog Phoenix gets along so well....she and I are a lot alike....... ;) ;) And why we ride together to most of these things... :dance: :dance:
    Thanks to this group of folks, I know what a family that isn't blood, is all about....since our first get together, these people have become very close, and I feel so very fortunate, lucky, and just place happy that I've met these great folks..........so ya'll really need to get down here, and see what good ole southern hospitality is all about.....

16. marvella

marlene- i will accept no funds. i'm trying to make a gift to the picnic. LOL!! it just seems like sending 5 pounds of anything is a problem. but maybe, as usual, i am worrying about it for nothing. i won't swear i still have your snail mail. pm me? i'll send biscuit making directions with the flour. you cannot mess these up, i promise. even this yankee can do it. all my kids, including my son, can do it. LOL!!

ladonna!! how ya doin', girl? only other woman i ever met that lives alone in the woods, like i used to. hang in there girl! you've outlasted a whole lot of other strong women i know. i've got other plans for that time, this year. i'm working hard getting this farm up and running, trying to get it to produce a bit of revenue for a change. looking into going into business for myself too. nose tight to the old grindstone these days. one of these days i'll make it there again. that river is awful pretty and y'all are good folks.:)

oh yeah, that marlene's a meanie alright. :yeeha: LOL!! sets a mean table too, with red cloth napkins and everything. ;)

17. MarleneS

What a great way to start my morning :) Ladonna, Marvella, mtmama - I think youl are all "keepers." -- I only worry that people who have not met me in person yet might be disappointed when they do -- oh heck, ya'll come on down and I'll try my best not to disappoint. And besides, I hope to be only one of many there to meet.

Marvella, that's so nice of you to want to contribute to the get together -- trust me folks - if I can make those biscuits like she does it will be a large contribution.

I need to get the list of who's signed up so far.

Hugs
    Marlene

18. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

Ok, now let me get this straight. Marvella, you are going to try to send 5 lbs of a white powdery substance through the mail or ups.... right? :cool: :eek:

That ought to be interesting! :D

19. marvella

LOL!! corky. (good to see ya!!!!)

anyone got any suggestions?

20. okgoatgal2

okgoatgal2 Well-Known Member

as a former member of the us postal service, may i recommend that you send that flour in several layers of wrapping, including at least 3 layers of plastic. vaccuum sealing the first layer of plastic might be good. also, put it in at least 2 sturdy boxes..you'd be amazed how those postal employees toss stuff around....and people ship heavier than 5 lbs quite a bit....those huge christmas packages weigh far more than that :D

marlene is so mean....i mean....i can't even begin to describe..... :haha: and that ladonna...tsk tsk tsk...... :haha: but for all that they are a blast to hang out with and talk to for hrs on end.