Would You Have Stopped?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by moodcouple, Aug 25, 2005.

1. moodcouple

moodcouple Well-Known Member

Just a curiosity question. Monday as I was about to leave for work I discovered my battery was dead – dome light was on all weekend. All of my neighbors had already left so there was no assistance nearby. I live at the edge of a small town, pop. 900, on the state highway leading into town. This is a rural area in Nebraska, and generally drivers will wave or nod hello as they pass. So, I stood next to the highway holding jumper cables in my hand. As a car or pickup approached, I held the cables up and smiled what I hoped was a friendly but forlorn smile. Nearly everybody who passed smiled and nodded to me – but no one stopped to help. Admittedly, my car was around the corner and they couldn’t see it there with the hood open, however I was very surprised no one figured out why I was holding those cables up.

Honestly I don’t know for sure I would have stopped. Would you?

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Depends on how cute you are! :p Next time try waveing a white cloth of some sorts or get sneaky and put a pillow under your shirt, both make you appear in need of immediant help. I usually stop unless time is really urgent and/or the situtation appears harmeless.

3. BeesNBunnies

BeesNBunnies Schnauzer nut

I used to stop and help people all the time but it is a different world now. I remember a local news story where a couple parked a car on the side of the road and a girl stood next to it acting like she needed help. When someone pulled over to help the boyfriend came out of hiding and attacked them. The good samaritan was robbed and I think killed or badly hurt(can't remember which). Since I saw that story I haven't stopped to help anyone else. I feel badly because I have been in situations like you describe and had wonderful people help me out. The exception....if I see an elderly lady with car trouble on the side of the road I'll stop and help. My Granny raised me and I'd hate to think of my Granny stranded somewhere.

4. GeorgiaRain

GeorgiaRain Well-Known Member

Honestly, it really depends on what you look like, if you are a man or woman, if you are a woman, I probably would because it sounds like you live in a nice small town so I'd feel comfortable stopping, probably wouldn't be much assistance but I'd see if I could make a phone call for you or something. But I always have my kids in the car with me, so I really don't stop for anyone so I don't put my kids in danger, you just can't be too sure these days.
    One day though, I was driving down our road and the mowers were out, I noticed the man driving it had his hand over his chest as I passed, he looked like he was in pain and I drove up the road to find an area to turn around and as I came back I noticed his head down, like he was slumped over, scared the bejeezus out of me, thought he had had a heart attack and died, I got out of my car and walked up to his window and he put his head up and I asked if he was ok and he was, he had burnt his hand and was holding it, but that was scary!

5. Toad sticker

Toad sticker Active Member

yes but I'm generally well armed. :viking:
    TS

6. BeesNBunnies

BeesNBunnies Schnauzer nut

Oh my gosh this reminds me of a story from my misspent youth. I grew up in east texas. We don't see much winter down there. I think I was 16 and we had an ice storm. Me and a girlfriend were on the way to a party. The car kept ending up in the ditch because of the ice. I was wearing a mini-skirt that if my granny knew I had it she would have whipped me from one end of texas to the other. With me and my girlfriend standing on the side of the road in mini-skirts....we never had to wait more than 5 minutes for some guy to come tow us out of the ditch.....lololol. Same thing wouldn't work for me today!!

7. blinkus

blinkus Active Member

Well i would at least have slowed down and talked to you ,then if i felt it was safe i would have stopped.Have to be careful these days..on the lighter side..i bet you were a sight with those cables in your hands. :sing:

8. mxwynn

mxwynn Member

If u have a cell phone, call 911 and report the disabled vehicle. That's how it works around here. Being stranded sucks. I was stuck one time on the side of the road....dead battery, two kids in diapers, and a wife. We got back home about 3 hours later.

9. wr

wr Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Yes, I would have stopped if it were in my area and I would have offered to help, if I was able and if not, I would have offered to call for help but if you were to snub me after I helped, not bother to thank me or told me to hurry up because you had to get on your way, I would not help you again but I would continue to help my neighbors. I'm of the opinion that if I don't help when I can, someday I'll need help and others will pass me or one of my family members by.

10. GeorgiaRain

GeorgiaRain Well-Known Member

My dh would have stopped though, in a heartbeat. He's always willing to help out too :)

11. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

Why when I stop do most people jump in thier car and roll the windows up and lock the doors?

Most of the time I stop. DW gets mad at me for stopping so I no longer stop when she's with me.

12. Aintlifegrand

Aintlifegrand Well-Known Member

I really hope that I would, however, I think that if DH or one of the boys were with me probably. After two roberies, the last one involved guns while looking at a piece of property, I am increasingly getting where I don't know if I would have stopped if I was by myself. Crime is so high near here

13. mammabooh

mammabooh Metal melter Supporter

I wouldn't have stopped, but I would have called the police on my cell phone to let them know you needed help.

14. GREEN_ALIEN

GREEN_ALIEN Sunny, Wet, Tornadoey SD!

Where I live now would I stop? Not on a bet and I am armed. (Seattle area). Would I have stopped in the past ? Heck yea.

A little lesson that goes with that. Year ago I moved from the city to a farming community that was about 30 miles from nowhere... like stores and gas stations. One day I am headed into town and about halfway there I pass a lady in her car stranded on the side of the road. I never even thought about it. I went on to town, did my business and went home. The car was gone when I came back through. The next morning I pulled up to my bosses place and thought hmmmm I thought I had seen that car before......

Turns out it was his wife, which I had only met once, that I left stranded on the road. Yup, he fired me for it after an in depth lecture about how things were done around here.......

Ted

15. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

If I'm driving alone, I won't stop but I will call the sheriff and let them know about a disabled vehicle needing help. If hubby and I are driving together we'll usually stop.

16. tooltime

tooltime Border Ruffian

Sure, a midget could pop up out of the ditch with a .22 pistol and plunk me while I pulled over to stop a damsel in distress, but I'll take my chances.

First thing I do is ask them if they want to use my phone to call anyone. Then I give them my business card for my shop. I'm a fairly tall and brawny guy, so I want to signal that I'm not out to pillage and rape.

I tell my wife not to stop for anyone unless she knows them.

In our neck of the woods, most of the time it's someone you know. Years ago, I was coming back from delivering a trailer and a car with out of state plates was pulled over on the side of the road on a state highway about 12 miles from home. I pulled over .... and it was my sister. She'd flown into Mpls. and rented a car. She was driving down to surprise my Mom for her birthday the next day.

17. Irish Pixie

Irish Pixie Well-Known Member

If you were in my area (rural upstate NY) I would have stopped, my husband stops and helps people all the time. Most of the time you can't pull over to get something out of the backseat without someone stopping to ask if everything is OK.

Stacy

18. Toad sticker

Toad sticker Active Member

I ran out of gas several years ago when I was running my trapline. It was getting dark and I was dreesed for the woods and looked like a bum. I was 20 miles from town and it was cold. I started walking :goodjob: and several vehicles went past then one stopped. It was a mid 30's woman with 2 small children and she gave me a ride to town. I told her she shouldn't of stopped :nono: as she didn't know what kind of person I could of been. She said she just couldn't bear the thought of me walking out in the cold. I was greatful but I still worry about people like her to this day. If I had been a different kind of person she would of been in trouble.
    TS

19. Merrique

Merrique Well-Known Member

My area has very little crime and I always stop if it looks like someone needs help. If I am alone, i don't get out of the car, but offer to call for help. I have also been stranded before and been helped by some great people. My DH also stops if someone needs help, he's a mechanic.

20. lilyrose

lilyrose Well-Known Member

I'm sorry you were stuck, what a drag. I would have thought that, out in a rural area, someone would have stopped to help you. But our world is not the same as it once was - no matter where you live I guess.

I keep a cell phone with me wherever I go.

Someone else I know keeps a Ham radio.