Would you eat this pig?

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by tripletmom, Nov 30, 2005.

1. tripletmom

tripletmom Well-Known Member

We have a pig, about 100 lbs whom my husband insists must have had a stroke. He wants to butcher and eat it while I'm not so certain I care to eat it under the circumstances. He started out cutting his eye in the trailer coming home in the trailer. He also held his head funny which we assumed was because of his eye. He went down three times and we were able to save him with penicillin each time. He's not had any antibiotic in 6 weeks. Several weeks ago he started stumbing around and we thought he was going down again. He continued to hold his head to the side, his nose is kind of curled to that side and he eventually got to the point where he has to walk against the wall on that side of him to get around. He eats good and has gained weight once we got him over the initial problems. He now lays on that useless side and struggles and squeals and we can't hardly help him get up against the wall anymore. Anyone got an opinion as to whether he indeed have a stroke and is safe to eat, or should we just shoot him and be done with it? Thanks!!

2. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

it sounds like some kind of neurological problem, like from encephalitis or some other virus that attacks the brain. antibiotics won't cure viruses.

i wouldn't eat any sick animal.

3. Paranoid

Paranoid Homebrewed Happiness

dont eat the head!

put porky in the pot!

p.s. i'm sure your local friendly gov't agency can test cheaply for whatever you think ails it.

grab a syringe, jab it in porkys spine in between the vertebra and suck.

if it's clear your getting the right stuff! yum yum!

4. beeman97

beeman97 Well-Known Member

It could be a stroke problem but from your description it could very well be a severe inner ear issue, if using penicillian worked to help him out then it was certianly not a nurlogical problem, as that would have done nothing at all to assist in that type of injury. where as a shot of pen would assist greatly with an inner ear infection. it is my guess he has a terribly painfull ear infection that you may be able to fix with a proper course of antibiotics.
    on the eating question, if it is a stroke it should not affect the taste of the meat from that in itself , but if left to go on for a long period of time it will have an affect on the meat because as you noticve with people who have suffered the same type of injury they lose all use of arms or legs or parts of there face, this will ruin the meat as it degenerates, the stress the pig is under from living in pain will have a negitive affect on his taste. my opinion would be to get him butchered asap to not only save what you can from the carcus but to also end his suffering which is in my opinion alittle more important then how good he is going to taste. no one enjoys living in severe pain & your pig should be no different.
    Rick

5. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

the initial head injury could also point to tetanus. again, neurological.

6. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

I do not knowingly eat anything that appears unhealthy. The risks are too great! I never send an animal to market that I would not eat either.

7. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

A lot of viruses pigs get can be transmitted to people. I would either dispose of it, or give it a round of antibiotics and wait. If it was a stoke from a clotting disorder, at that age you dont want it breeding. If it's an infection that has turned into brain abcess and thus a stoke, I would not eat it, unless it recovers for 6 months first