Would you eat them?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by FrankTheTank, May 20, 2005.

1. FrankTheTank

FrankTheTank Well-Known Member

Would these be safe to consume...theres a lot as you can see...? thank you for any help you can give. My mushroom book says Chicken of the woods?

If i do eat them and have to have my stomach pumped, i will only blame myself ;)

[​IMG]

2. Yep, I eat'm. And if you don't want those your showin, just dehydrate'm and mail'm to me. I'll eat'm!

Last fall I found bunches of them while out deer hunting. Went back later with a big sack and took'm all home. Dehydrated'm and bagged'm. I still have one bag left so I could use some more. If you want to eat'm fresh just soak them in salt water for a few minutes, drain, then roll them in flour and fry. We started putting a handful of dried ones in our cassarole dishes and such while cooking and they would be rehydrated and tasty.

3. Ozarkquilter46

Ozarkquilter46 Well-Known Member

we have a bunch of them on our place to. My son who is grown and married takes them all home and freezes them. The first time they did it I thought it was going to kill them LOL you know everything you hear about mushrooms!! They love them

4. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

5. FrankTheTank

Thanks..yeah...i don't normally start chomping away at wild edibles without being sure that its not going to kill me :) I'll be baggin them up tomorrow morning...

thanks!

6. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

Hey thanks for that website crashy!

The only wild mushrooms I'm totally comfortable with are morels and I really need to expand my knowledge of edible fungi.

7. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

Your welcome. Chantrels (sp?) are pretty easy too. There was another one we call them bearshead here but they grow on rotten logs and way up high in trees you shoot em down. They were really white and kinda spiky you cut them into steaks and dipped em in batter and fried em yummy!! But I have not had those for years or gone hunting for that matter. But shroom hunting is fun but becareful!!!

8. Xandras_Zoo

Xandras_Zoo Well-Known Member

Is that your own pic or just one you found? Sure is beautiful... looks like the beginning scene of the Lord of the Rings. :eek:

9. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

10. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

I wouldn't either, but that doesn't help you any. I just don't eat anything that looks like that! And I wonder who the first brave soul was that ate one and lived to tell of it. LOL. Seriously, I don't know enough about fungi to know what is safe and I sure would love for someone who does to show me.

11. Big country

Big country Well-Known Member

It’s a little off of the subject, but what’s your favorite book on wild edibles? How about your favorite mushroom ID book?

12. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Of course we would eat it! The photo below is of my beautiful wife, Wind In Her Hair, holding a fine specimen of a Chicken Mushroom.
    [​IMG]

13. Cabin fever, do you really deserve such a beautiful woman?

14. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

the problem is if you're wrong, it's a one way foot first trip away from home

15. FrankTheTank

I've been away...fishing on the weekend off...i ended up freezing most of them, will give try within the next day or so.

more pics

I was fishing these...
    [​IMG]

when i found this...
    [​IMG]

I like morels, but would really be interested in trying other varieties. My hope is to find a field of giant puffballs.

16. poppy

poppy Guest

That looks like a mushroom called " chicken of the woods ". Around here they have a more orangish cast to them. I think all the mushrooms similar to it are non poisonous, but some are inedible either because of being too hard to eat or being of poor taste. Those pictured will get woody if not picked fresh.