Would you buy this water filter, or is there a better way?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by shoofly, Nov 13, 2006.

1. shoofly

shoofly Active Member

We have well water with an electric pump, and in the event that we have no electricity we have no water. We do not own a generator and don't really want to buy one.

We do have a spring on our property, however, and are thinking about buying something like this:
    http://www.rei.com/product/5963057.htm

in case the electric was out for a long time and we needed fresh water for the family. (We have a wood/coal stove for heat and cooking, so aren't worried about those things).

Would there be a better/cheaper way to ensure access to fresh water, or does this seem like a smart thing to buy?

Thanks!

2. Citiot

Citiot Well-Known Member

1 gallon per hour seems awfully slow. If you are truly planning on a situation where power is out for awhile I would consider something that can supply you with more water, faster.

If you only need this for drinking water and you have another water source for everything else then this could work.

3. littlebitfarm

littlebitfarm Scotties rule! Supporter

Boil the water, at a rolling boil, for 5 minutes. That will kill bacteria.

Kathie

4. mamajohnson

mamajohnson Knitting Rocks! Supporter

I am going to tell you what we do....
    The land we inherited has a flaky well on it... it is one of the large wells, like 3 feet across, and it is only 100 feet deep. During the summer (and sometimes even winter) the well goes totally dry.
    BUT we have a springfed creek on our property! So, what we do is this... the well has virtually become a systern. We take the F350, loaded with a gas powered pump and a 350 gal tank, drive down to the creek (nice little downhill drive) drop the pump end into the creek, fill the tank, drive up, empty into the well... It will take 7-8 trips to fill the well, and we do this every to every other week. The running water then is used for washing/bathing/toilet etc.... For drinking, we fill our British Berkefeld water filter, from the faucet, and drink the water that it produces. We have been doing this for the last 5 years and have never gotten ill from the water. AWESOME filter! And since we bought ours they have come out with some that filter faster and have some really cool set-ups. The Berky is the best choice for the money, I would not use any look-alike. Best of luck to you!
    Here are a couple of links for you:
    http://www.readymaderesources.com/thumbnail.asp?offset=0&deep=2&cid=218
    http://www.thealertstore.com/scan/se=Water%20Treatment/sf=Category/va=dept=hydration/sp=myhydra/mp=sort1.html?mv_pc=gw2&gclid=CJ-Mw7vpxIgCFQJjSgodHzi8Cw

5. mamajohnson

This is what convinced me on getting the Berkey brand:

"Proven History. The Berkey's high quality and effectiveness has stood the test of time. First ordered by the Royal House in England, it's also been used by relief organizations such as Unicef, the Peace Corps, and Red Cross Societies internationally. What's more, British Berkefeld systems have been used for over 150 years by missionaries, explorers and relief workers in over 140 countries around the world."

If this thing has worked for over 150 years, it will work now.

6. Snowdancer

Snowdancer Well-Known Member

7. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

you could build a distiller pretty cheap.
    since temp wouldnt be an issue to regulate like a moonshine still, a simple wood fired drum and worm [a pot still] would pump out gallons of clean safe distilled water.

8. comfortablynumb

9. comfortablynumb

in fact since I am thinking about it..... a standard steam juicer will distill water pretty well too.

10. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a katadyn for emergency use and in theory camping but haven't used it yet.

11. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

12. labrat

labrat Well-Known Member

13. Bruce in NE

Bruce in NE Well-Known Member

You can save money by just buying the Berkefeld filter only and installing it in a 3 or 5 gal. food grade plastic bucket, so that it drips into a second bucket. That's what I did, works fine.

14. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

:nono: NO NO! NO!!!!

WOW oh WOW thats big time illeagle! (like thousands of dollars and years in jail)What you are doing is polluting groundwater with surface runoff!

Why not just buy a storage tank? You would wind up hauling a lot less water.

15. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

Why would you? Its just a waste of money. But i dont see how it would hurt anything.

16. mamajohnson

We actually thought about doing that. Glad to know it would work. Did you put a spicket on the second bucket?

17. mamajohnson

Well, so happy you are up on all the laws everywhere, and know just what to tell me that I am doing wrong... And by the way, when you have several hundred bucks to go get me a tank, let me know, cause I dont!

And, just a quick question.... how can I take spring water from the creek on MY land and contaminate ground water by placing it in a DRY well also on MY land??? Around here if you have over a certain amount of acerage you dont even have to own a septic tank.... (dont worry, we have a proper septic!)
    So, go pick on someone else.

18. comfortablynumb

by all means dump surface water into your well.
    cholera is a fun disease... everyone should try it.

19. mamajohnson

ya know numb, it seems most of your recent posts have been really harsh and cynical.. Are you ok? You need not jump on me hollering cholera... we dont drink the water without it being filtered. geeze..
    So, is this pick on mama day or what?
    I just offered some information, didnt come to get jumped on by ya'll.

20. KindredSpirit

KindredSpirit Well-Known Member

Another Big Berkey user here! The filters last a very long time. I am very glad I bought this one.