WOULD YOU BREED a Boer w/odd number of teats....

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Milk n' Honey, Sep 11, 2006.

1. Milk n' Honey

Milk n' Honey Well-Known Member

I know there is a great controversy over the 2 teated Boers vs. the 4 teated Boers. I also know that it is a show disqualification to have a Boer with an odd number of teats or a fishteat. Aside from that, my question to you is this: How concerned are you with this? Is it a major problem to have 3 or 5 teats? Would you breed an animal like this for commercial purposes only and maybe keep out only the good teated animals for show breeding (you can supposedly breed out a fault). I was just wondering. I'm trying to make a decision.

2. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

one way or another it doesnt matter to me, Boers were bred to have multiple teats in the begining, and alot of imports from South Africa have them, and a good amount of these are functional,

the thing about breeding the trait out is you have to also consider the buck, Bucks have teats too and a multi teated buck often has multi teated daughters,

and dome of the BEST lines have multi teats, its all a personal preferance really, i dont mind them, and as long as your not talking about Dairy Stock it shouldnt matter.

but then its been a few years sence i had anything to do with the differint Boer Clubs and their show standars so i dont know what the differint Clubs are calling for at this time

3. Milk n' Honey

If I remember right, our buck has 2 teats. I'm talking Boers, not dairy. I know they have to have an even number and no fish teats in the show ring. Aside from that, what does it hurt? I've heard of the fishteats causing possible nursing problems though.

4. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

As long as they are not a problem for the kid, I don't care how many she has. They are meant to feed kids, if they do a good job of that.....what more could I ask?? Of course if I want to register the kids, I have to follow breed standards. If they don't follow breed standards but are still good and useable, I breed them, but don't register them.

5. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Even with Boers, 4 teats just creep me out. My Boer buck has 4 teats but throws all 2 teated kids, both doelings and bucklings. All my Boer does have 2 teats. I am going to breed this buck to two daughters this fall and that will increase the chances of 4 teated kids in those offspring. I don't show, i just raise for meat even though my goats are of excellent quality so this little experiment is just for my own curiousity. I would personally cull a doe with more than 2 teats but that is just a personal preferance on my part. Also, I tame my Boer does and they are milkable/will be milkable for the most part and I just don't want all those weird extra teats. :)

6. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

I breed my Boer does no matter if they have 2, 3 or 4 teats. I don't register or show them. I just think they are pretty animals and breed them to have market wethers and commercial doelings to sell. I would cull a doe if she had a weird cluster of teats which would make feeding kids or milking her difficult. Heck, I even breed a 4 teated dairy goat. She's my best milker and out of 4 breedings producing 9 kids, only one had an extra teat and I found a pet home for that doeling. With my Nubians, I only keep the does with the best udders.

7. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

We have a little girl that has 6 teats, however, she is going to be breed to a boy that has a long anscestry of only two, to get the number her offspring end up having down, she's only 6 months old right now though, so she still has a while to go before she gets breed.

8. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

We have a five teated Boer doe. She has a double teat for the right side. The "normal" sized teats. The front two are much smaller. All five produce milk and she easily raised her twins (11 pound buckling and a 5.5 pound doeling). She was originally carrying triplets but lost one at about 3-4 months gestation it looked like. This was her first year with us. Her doeling has only two teats I believe (maybe a third teat that looks like it will be non-functioning, I don't have my notes here). The buckling has spur teats, which annoy me greatly. His growth was spectacular though and we need a buck for our Boer's daughters (only three or four this year) so we will use him this year and see what he throws. Right now, he isn't doing well, so he may not even get used.
    When picking a Boer buck, I'm looking for two clean teats first and might consider four clean teats. It all depends on the buck's dam's udder as well.
    Twyla, the Boer doe, was able to easily raise her kids. Both could nurse the double teats with no issues.
    We also have a Pygmy cross doe (maybe has Boer maybe not) with fish teats and she had no trouble raising her Boer cross wether. She's for the meat herd, so again it doesn't really matter as long as they can nurse the kids easily.
    For a commercial herd, extra teats, as long as they do not interfere with nursing, I don't see a problem. Now, selling doelings or bucklings out of those? It might be an issue. I plan to be very honest about teat numbers with this doe's offspring.
    We had a doe born last year with three teats and the one looked like it should function, but she was killed by a dog at a month bred so I never found out. This year we have a few does with some extra teats/nubs so next year I will see waht comes of it. Looks like the Boer/Saanen and carried the trait for extra teats. He has two clean teats himself (I didn't check him until he was close to two because I hadn't a clue about all this).

9. Bella Star

Bella Star LaMancha & Boer

I raise registed show quality boers boertrekfarm.com
    A LOT of the south african boers have 4 teats, 4 teats are fine if they are nice spaced . IF a doe has multi teats and the kids have trouble nursing that doe ,then I would cull her and along with any doe that looks like she might have trouble nursing her kids . I just dont like a wad of multi teats and a doe would have to have other GREAT traits for me to keep her and try breeding out those multi teats and it can be done as on a multi teat doe .... always breed her to a 2 teat buck . I had a 4 teat boer buck with great bloodline and nice spaced 4 teats but I bred him to my 2 teat dairy laManchas and the doe born had multi teats , so I culled the lil doe. I think it would be hard to hand milk a cluster teat doe and impossible to machine milk . I still think for milkingdairy breed dairy to dairy. This is just my choice .
    I have fun working to improve the herd, breeding for color,splashes and improving the desired traits to breed types like breeding out the multi teats , its a fun work in progress :)

10. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

I thought most Boers had odd numbers of teats.

Ruth

11. Jcran

Jcran Well-Known Member

You never do know when you might decide to register an animal so I would stick with ABGA or USBGA rules. 4 maximum teats with no more than two on a side. All my does are now two teaters but my new show buck has two on a side for a total of 4 teats. My fullblood doe just dropped two bucklings with nicely spaced 4 teats each. They're already sold as bucks if their pigment fills in well on their tailwebs.

12. shelbynteg

shelbynteg Well-Known Member

I would only hesitate if the buck had a fish teat.

13. Milk n' Honey

I just had a nice Fullblood Boer buckling born here with nicely spaced 2 on each side with a total of 4 and he has great pigmentation. We are going to raise him to be our herdsire. We are using another buck right now but this one will be for next year. He has a touch of cocci. right now though. His brother is larger and quite beautiful but is not correct. He has a white ear with two small brown spots. His hind gait isn't great either. So, I think the buck we've chosen will end up being great. The only thing is, I hope this cocci. doesn't stunt his growth not that it will make a difference in his genetics but for visual purposes. The other one would make a fine commercial buck.

14. pokyone42

pokyone42 Well-Known Member

Near Bath NY.. dumb name for a town, huh?
    what are fish teats? Never heard that term before.. thanks...

15. Milk n' Honey

A fishteat is one teat with 2 orfices. It looks like a fishtail on the end.

16. Kshobbit

Kshobbit Well-Known Member

fish teats are joined at the top of the teat then "branch" into two. I have a commercial Boer herd. The size and width and rate of growth is more important to me than the number of teats. I raised dairygoats for years and that was an entirely different story.
    Some of my best "beefy" does have double teats or actually 2 teats per side.
    They are great mothers and their kids look great. The meat buyers are much more interested in meat to bone ratio and could care less about the number of teats.