Would you be interested in get together with fellow homesteaders?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by MarleneS, Aug 19, 2004.

1. MarleneS

MarleneS Well-Known Member

If the answer is yes you are invited to attend The Second Annual Homesteaders get together:

When: September 24-26, 2004
    Where: Tyler Bend Campgrounds, Buffalo River National Park, Hwy. 65 near St. Joe, Arkansas (between Harrison and Marshall)
    Fees: $3.00 per night per person ($6.00/person for three day get together)

A gathering of like minded homesteaders, to meet each other in person, share ideas, good time, and good food. Life doesn't get any better then that right?

I'll be happy to answer any questions or give more details to anyone interested in sharing the weekend.

Marlene

2. ozarkin'it

ozarkin'it Well-Known Member

wow, that sounds really great. maybe we could put a face to some of the names on this forum. Are you the Prez? Will there be activities and displays? or just a bunch of strangers camping together? Just wondered.

3. MarleneS

Nope I'm not the prez ... just my turn to organize and keep track of who's coming and who's bringing what. This time, so far, we have about 30 people signed up. Most have have been at atleast one of our get togethers -- their will be about 8 new faces so far. Last year in September (we also have an Annual Spring one) we had entertainment by South 14 - a bluegrass band, which one of our long time regulars just happens to be a member of, and Carla Emery gave a lecture on homesteading and offered her and other homesteading books for sale, there were demos on fleece spinning. This year, so far there will again be spinning demos, homemade noodle making, knife sharpening. If you have a homesteading skill you would like to share we'd be happy to have do so.

Mainly we sit around the campfire visiting and sharing ideas. Some practice campfire cooking, some bring things already ready to eat - or just warm up to eat. It's a bring what you like, cook what you like, share if you like or not sort of thing -- nothing too formal ;)

Just let me know, so I can add you to the list. We have two group sites reserved, with a park maximum of 25 people per site on the overnite camping. If we get near to 50 over night campers we will try to reserve an additional site. This gets less likely the closer we get to the date of the get together.

We have a few tents available if you don't have one or unable to bring one - they are offered on the first ask first get bases.

We're a freindly helpful bunch...if you need ideas or help on how to get there, or transportation let us know we'll help as best we can.

Thanks for you interest,
    Marlene

4. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

Hey! I'm interested! can I come? huh? can I ? :haha:

Maybe Marchwind, tater,lynnheater and some of the others that have been looking for us will find us here. :)

5. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

Can I bring my tent and Massage Tables/Chairs?????? Cool.. GOT water??? Potties, etc.?? Well.. a 'cathole' will work! :):)

6. Its got real potties! It's in a park with a beautiful clean clear river and majestic pines and great hiking trails. I have not ben to tyler bend yet but I have been twice to bufalo point. It is awesome!

7. Vera

Vera Well-Known Member

Here you are! Talk about withdrawal, LOL! Hey, what are the chances that we can pass the hat and collect enough to buy a roasting pig - hopefully from one of our fellow homesteaders? Didn't somebody mention that a while back? Imagine... a pig roast... home-made noodles... fresh veggies... yes?? :D

8. MarleneS

I just can't seem to get away from you gals now can I! :) Hey Corky and Vera -- and I'm hoping Unregistered guest might be Rea?? Whomever it is, is correct -- the site at Tyler Bend might even be better then Buffalo Point -- each site has a huge fire pit, with about a 18" rock wall around it -- and a rock slab terrace around the firepit, two charcoal grills on stands for easy tending and three nice picnic tables and a faucet for water. The bathrooms are next to campsite #3. Bathhouses are at individual site camping -- within walking distance or you can take the paved road way there. All the sites site above the beautiful Buffalo River with a nice walkway down to it.

Vera - the food deal is still bring whatever you want, cook there or not, share it or not. If you would like to organize a collective purchase a pig, be responsible for getting it prepared etc. ... I don't think anyone is going to complain, right? Just for the record for those who haven't been there yet -- so far everyone has made the food eating and preparation communal. But you never know, so we leave the door open for other possiblities.

And to help with the withdrawal of our routine it's only 35 more days!

Chickflick (hopefully I got that right) -- no need to ask if you can bring your tent or your massage table...and let me be the client if you wish to give a massage demo. Oh, wait, that would be with a crowd and I'd be nearly naked right?...let me rethink that one or atleast say something that makes it look like you talked me into it okay??

Hey gang -- how about we have a challenge to see if we can get up to 50 people planning on being there by September 1st?? No problem right?

Hugs
    Marlene

9. bearmeatwoman

bearmeatwoman Member

hi girls. it's me, incognito, or at least i thought so.:)

i'm not in withdrawal, i'm enjoying the break!

if someone brings a massage table, i'll give reiki treatments!

i'm getting psyched!

vera- check your po box, dear.:)

10. sbatterton

sbatterton Member

Howdy friends! I agree that Tyler Bend might be just a little bit better than Buffalo Point. The main reason is that it's not nearly as crowded. Also, I like the fire pits at Tyler Bend better. Tyler Bend is probably easier for a new person to find as well. It's right on a major hwy (at least it's a major hwy in our neck of the woods.. LOL)

Looking forward to seeing you all soon!

Shelia

11. Westwood

Westwood Well-Known Member

Howdy all! I'll be there too, as usual!

12. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

count us in for 3 for sure , possibly 4 depends on hubby schedule
    , im not sure if we will camp or not, but i /kids will definately be there at least for one day

hubby still remains uncommited, thats just cause the construction biz is going ape!!!!
    and im not sure if thats when we have our open house or not ....
    dunno.... business comes first, have to make a living , right ?

i would be more than willing to set aside some cash to contribute to a roasted beast

13. bearmeatwoman

bearmeatwoman Member

marlene- you are good at organizing things. it really might be a good idea to come up with some kind of roster of events, if people plan on demonstrating things. we wouldn't have to stick strictly to it, but a little bit of organizaton might help insure that people who are a bit shyer, or less outgoing, and may not be forward enough to say, " hey y'all, watch this!!". which we all know are often famous last words in the south. (just kidding!!LOL!!) to get to the point, then maybe everyone would get a chance to show what they brought, instead of just willy nilly. some people will be putting a good deal of effort into showing homestead skills, and it would be a shame if they got left out, just because we are laid back.:) think another thread talked about more or less set mealtimes, so people know they can, or cannot, expect a meal when they get there.

i know. i'm really good at figuring out things for other people to do. i'll shut up now. :eek: :yeeha:

14. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Well talking with the Boss.I think we have a Wedding and Hunting Trip planned for the Weekend before.But i think we will be open for that Weekend.Just have to double check.

big rockpile

15. ozarkin'it

ozarkin'it Well-Known Member

I will try my best to be there, depending on what part of the country I am in at the time. Chances are better than not.

16. MarleneS

List of the people planning on attending the Get Together #here also so people just reading from this thread have some idea of who (whom?) they will be spending time with:

MarleneS and Watcher/Noah
    Big Joe, Shelia/SBatterson, and daughter Bethie
    Dennis/Westwood
    LaDonna/MTwomanAR
    Laura/okgoatgal and 4 children
    LynnHeater
    Savingup/Susan and Aeron
    Tina and daughters Cheyenne & Leighanne
    Gail/gefozarks
    Corky and Milt
    Mike/mwj and Wanda
    Vera
    Harmony
    Susan/Marchwind and son Philip
    Anne
    Dena/Echo
    Tater
    Pam/goatma
    Russell
    Acabin42
    bearmeatwoman
    Beth/bethlaf
    Big Rockpile and Tina (aka the Boss)
    Ozarkinit
    Polly, her husand/John and Pop/Russell

Demos and Time by whom:

Homemade noodles - 9AM Saturday Sept. 25 - MarleneS
    Rabbit - slaughter and dressing 10AM - Vera
    Juggling - Tater & Phillip 1:30 PM
    Spinning - on Wheel - Beginners Lessons: 2PM Saturday with demos throughout the day - Shelia, Corky, Marchwind, and Anne
    Spinning - drop spindle 2:30PM Saturday -Anne
    Felt Making - 3 PM Saturday- Annie and Marchwind
    Knife Sharpening - (need time please) Big Joe
    Rabbit hide tanning - Beth/bethlaf (need time please)

People have mentioned that they would also like to learn (or learn more) about soapmaking, and gun cleaning -- if we can stay within the park firearm rules - unloaded and broken down. Any other homesteading skill would be appreciated also.

There are a few tents to loan out on the first come first serve bases -- if you need one please advise. If you need advise on routes, transportation or outside lodging just ask.

Meals are served (as close as possible to) Breakfast 7 AM, Dinner Noon, Supper 7 PM

If I've left someone off the list please let me know ASAP.

Looking forward to seeing you there,
    Marlene

17. bearmeatwoman

bearmeatwoman Member

marlene- remember? you and i are going to bake biscuits, and i'll bring makings for good yeast bread. if the weather cooperates, i'll have it ready for the potluck.

i'm interested in the gun cleaning part as well as the knife stuff.

18. Vera

Vera Well-Known Member

:eek: uhhhhh... no, Marlene... it just sounded like a nifty idea... point taken, LOL!

19. pcdreams

pcdreams Well-Known Member

Shotgun wedding eh? LOL

20. Denise K.

Denise K. Well-Known Member

Count me in, but in spirit only! I would love to join you but just to far! Be sure to post about how much fun you have for those of us that can't make it!
    Denise
    in far away Eastern Washington