would worms in sheep cause swelling of lymph nodes?

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by russellsmom, Jul 31, 2004.

1. russellsmom

russellsmom Well-Known Member

My one lamb's lymph nodes are swollen. The vet felt she needed to go on penecillin so I gave her her weekly round of shots. I don't think the lymph nodes swelling has decreased yet although I'd expect it to take some time for the swelling to decrease.
    Later I noticed that there are worms in their manure and now I'm pretty sure she's just chock full of worms. I've ordered a fecal kit so I can see what I'm dealing with here, but I was wondering if a mega infestation of worms would make her lymph nodes swell?

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Off th top of my tired head I don't think they directly affect the lymphatic system, but certainly a worm infestation will allow secondary infections. I'd get them wormed ASAP with Safeguard dosed to kill tapes, and then see what's left with the fecal test.

3. Is it bottle jaw?
    Swelling under the jaw?

If so, it's a heavy worm infestation.

4. russellsmom

russellsmom Well-Known Member

That's what I've read, and while I do think she does (or did) have a heavy worm infestation, the swelling is located underneath the head, back where it joins at the neck. You can feel the lymph nodes.
    I gave them both Safeguard this past weekend and some herbal wormer is on it's way for them to use as their regular wormer from now on.

5. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Is the swelling gone after worming? If you didn't use antibiotics etc. then it would seem likely it was worms. Watch for coccidia too.