Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My one lamb's lymph nodes are swollen. The vet felt she needed to go on penecillin so I gave her her weekly round of shots. I don't think the lymph nodes swelling has decreased yet although I'd expect it to take some time for the swelling to decrease.
Later I noticed that there are worms in their manure and now I'm pretty sure she's just chock full of worms. I've ordered a fecal kit so I can see what I'm dealing with here, but I was wondering if a mega infestation of worms would make her lymph nodes swell?

·
Premium Member
13,158 Posts
Off th top of my tired head I don't think they directly affect the lymphatic system, but certainly a worm infestation will allow secondary infections. I'd get them wormed ASAP with Safeguard dosed to kill tapes, and then see what's left with the fecal test.

U

·
0 Posts
Is it bottle jaw?
Swelling under the jaw?

If so, it's a heavy worm infestation.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unregistered said:
Is it bottle jaw?
Swelling under the jaw?

If so, it's a heavy worm infestation.
That's what I've read, and while I do think she does (or did) have a heavy worm infestation, the swelling is located underneath the head, back where it joins at the neck. You can feel the lymph nodes.
I gave them both Safeguard this past weekend and some herbal wormer is on it's way for them to use as their regular wormer from now on.

·
Premium Member
13,158 Posts
Is the swelling gone after worming? If you didn't use antibiotics etc. then it would seem likely it was worms. Watch for coccidia too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts