Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have 8 bushels of apples and more coming. I already have filled all the jars I can spare and have 5 dehydrators going 24/7. I know they will keep for awhile, but these are sweet apples and will not keep more than a month and with more on the way.......well.....

So, we had this idea. Go ahead and slice the apples and freeze them in bags. Thaw them as dehydrator space becomes available in the next few weeks and dehydrate them that way.

Why so many apples? We feed 15 people and this will get us through the winter.

·
Premium Member
23,896 Posts
I'd look into dipping them into eather citric acid or salt water to prevent browning before I freeze the slices. But I do think they will get mushy. Rats, I have 5 loads of landury on the line and it starts pouring....

·
Registered
679 Posts
You could always can them? Apple sauce, apple jelly, apple pie filling (very convenient!), spiced apple rings, or just purée them and freeze the purée. Once space opens up in the dehydrator you can make fruit skins (roll-ups) outta the purée. They are great for after school snacks and lunches!

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
How much freezer space do you have? I have peeled cored and sliced apples dipped them in some pineapple juice, or about a Tbl of lemon juice added to 1 cup water, lay them out on a cookie sheet and freeze.

Once frozen solid, transfer to bag and use for baking or smoothies.

If you want to freeze apple puree, you could always make some apple leather in your dehydrater as time allows.

Honestly I don't know how freezing apple slices and then dehydrating them will work.

·
Junkman
630 Posts
We were blessed with lots of apples too. Have given them away by the bushel. I make sauce and freeze in bags so I can pile them like plates in the freezer. One lady sent me back a bowl of this: cut up apples, add a little water, sugar and cinnamon and put in microwave for 6 minutes. Delicious. We enjoy seeing folks leaving with their boxes of apples with a smile on their face. A good bit of work and a sticky kitchen floor but come Winter well worth the effort. Jklady

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So here's what I did. I cut the apples and to slices and then the slices into fourths. We froze them in trays last night and began dehydrating this morning. Now after about six hours they are drying just like the rest of them are and there doesn't seem to be any difference between freezing them and just putting them in fresh.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts