Would this be wrong?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Hosey Mosey, Dec 13, 2006.

1. Hosey Mosey

Hosey Mosey Member

I'm doing a portrait at my easle as I read HT. I've just completed my dear friends face on a family portrait. I'm getting ready to sketch her step daughters likeness. (this is a gift for Christmas that she has asked me to do for her husband) Now the thing is- I don't like her step daughter. My friend doesn't really like her step daughter either. Would it be wrong of me to portray her step daughter with a smile on her face when I have rarely seen this child smile? Or should I sketch her in the same likeness that we all really see her? With a sour look on her face? Just curious.

2. Speciallady

Speciallady Well-Known Member

Make her smile in the picture and it may bring a smile to her face in real life. Even when I'm mad if I see someone smile I smile back.

3. caroline00

caroline00 Well-Known Member

4. Spotted Crow

Spotted Crow Well-Known Member

Definitely a smile...

5. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Are you using a portrait to copy her likeness? The picture you are making is for the girls father. I would think the best thing would be to make the picture pleasing to him. If he don't like her either put a veil over her face. Otherwise make her pretty.

6. Ninn

Ninn Custom Crochet Queen

if you love your dear friend, make her stepdaughter's face a smiling face. She will appreciate that you cared enough to make it beautiful for her, no matter what the child truly looks like daily. Being a step mom is hard-that may be the first smile she sees on her child.

7. nduetime

nduetime I am a Christian American Supporter

IMHO, if you are sketching the likeness from a picture that her father asked you to copy, you should portray her as much like the picture as you can. He gave you that picture to use for a reason.

How blessed you are to be able to do things like that! I have always wanted to be able to do portraits but never have been able to convince my hands to do so.

8. WindowOrMirror

WindowOrMirror ..where do YOU look? Supporter

Treat all people as they are capable of becoming, and you help them become that

9. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

Ah the age old question, do you remain true to your craft or perform plastic surgery with your pencil? lol
    DH is an artist and this is why he hates doing commissioned portraits. He paints what he sees and says in portraiture you cannot draw what you have never seen (this holds as true for this girl's smile as the requests he receives to be drawn 20 years younger or 20 pounds lighter)