Would this be fun or what?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Melissa, Dec 29, 2006.

1. Melissa

Melissa member

I have always wanted to completely empty out my house, set everything in the yard, clean the house perfectly, then put back in just what I really, really wanted. Not that there is much I don't really want here, but sometimes it starts to feel a little crowded. When I mention this to my kids they all shudder a bit. I know they think someday they will come home from school and their beds will be sitting in the front yard!

Anyone else have crazy ideas like this?

Maybe I want to do this because we moved in before our house was done and we have built on and worked around all the stuff. I have never seen the entire place empty. I think it would look huge.

2. Nan

Nan Well-Known Member

:sing: Make sure you choose a nice sunny day without chance of snow or rain!!! :bow:

I keep thinking that I need to have a huge garage sale...but haven't gotten around to going through things yet!

3. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

YES YES, but I don't want to put more than 40% of it back. We've lived here since 1980, and we really really need to declutter.

4. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

I had an organizing book on decluttering once that pretty much recommended this..only one room at a time, though! I did it, too. Cleared out, cleaned up, threw away, passed on, recycled, and removed...organized what what left. It was great.

But that was some years agao, and i need to do it again.....

Meg

5. MoonShine

MoonShine Fire On The Mountain

Yes,I've thought the exact same thing. I don't think I'll ever be able to truly organize everything unless I could take everything out and start all over again.

Definitely watch the weather,though. A few years ago,my Mom was having new carpet put down in the living room and dining room. So,I moved all the furniture outside into the backyard. It was a gorgeous summer day with no forecast of rain. Wouldn't you know,out of nowhere,it starts pouring the rain. The couch,the chairs,the end tables,the dining room table...all soaking wet. Wow,that was horrible,but sorta funny now that I think back to it. What terrible luck.

6. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

Didn't they cancel that show?

7. sewsilly

sewsilly Well-Known Member

I've done it, one or two rooms at a time. It's delightfully refreshing. go for it!
    dawn

8. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

YES! :goodjob:

I don't actually do anything quite so drastic, but after we got practically buried under gifts of second-hand clothing from well-meaning friends and relatives and friends of relatives, I made it a twice-yearly 'thing' to go through all of my and the children's stuff and clear out anything we didn't or couldn't use. It really helped.

Now my oldest daughter is having to use my plan. She has four children, and her grandparents bring suitcases full of stuff home for the children from their annual trip to see their daughter, who lives in Wales. I guess their friends over there give them a lot of it; the rest comes from boot sales and second-hand shops. She said a lot of it is just plain unsuitable, at least for children in a Christian home -- she mentioned a vinyl mini-skirt, among other items!

Kathleen

9. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

If the grandparents were giving a vinal miniskirt, maybe they were thinking that it would repel stains?

10. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

:) The mini-skirt was one of the things that came from a friend of the grandparents in Wales -- I don't think they even knew it was in that batch of stuff they carried back to New Hampshire with them. They would have known that Cedar would never have allowed one of her daughters to wear a mini-skirt, let alone a vinyl one (nor would my son-in-law allow it)! However, you are right that it would repel stains -- maybe if she still has it she could make a painting apron or something out of it!

Kathleen

11. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

I knew a young couple who did that. With the help of a few friends, they scrubbed the walls, windows, woodwork, everything. Cleaned and polished every piece of furnture before bringing it in-even the fabric furniture. The stove and refrigerator too.

I can't imagine having a house so perfectly clean!

12. diane

diane Well-Known Member

Absolutely!! When we put the addition on I was so picky about what I would put in it. It is still at "almost" zero clutter, but my very large room I call the pantry that has the freezers, shelves, grainmill, food dryer etc. is a total mess after just a little over a year. I need to get in there and spend some time reorganizing and sorting.

I have always thought it would be neat to have a house that could just be hosed down with a garden hose :banana02: (inside and out)

13. manygoatsnmore

manygoatsnmore Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm in constant de-clutter mode...not that it shows. It would be tempting to do this, if there were a safe, weatherproof area to move everything into while I cleaned. I'm trying to do it a room at a time, but it seems like a lot of stuff keeps moving around the house instead of out the door. I almost think I'd have to MOVE in order to pare stuff down, and then I think again...I HAVE moved a lot of this stuff before. :eek:

Time to get serious with myself and really prune down the holdings. Wonder if I could interest anyone in 1000 VHS tapes and hundreds of nursery pots of all sizes? :D

Do you suppose we're feeling this way because it's the start of a new year in a few days?

14. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Formerly LisainN.Idaho Supporter

I think you all need to get out more. :D

15. manygoatsnmore

I do get out...the problem is that the clutter is still there when I get back, lol!!!! :D

16. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Formerly LisainN.Idaho Supporter

It would be nice if we could just pick up our houses (or cars) and shake them out, wouldn't it?

17. manygoatsnmore

Some days I wish that one of those organization shows would come do my house (and outbuildings)....but I don't want the whole world to see my clutter! Bad enough that I have to look at it. I just keep boxing and bagging up stuff to go to Goodwill and take it to town when I go to work. I have another load in the car ready to go for tonight.

I've also been looking at all my how-to books and I think I'm going to list some on the barter board. I love my books, but I really have more on just about every subject than I need.

18. IDgoats

IDgoats Active Member

Must be in the air, as we just got back from town were we bought bunch of storage boxes and are tearing apart this house and and putting it back togather with a lot less stuff in it. and yes i would love to just move every thing out side and clean then put it back will have to wait tell spring break end of march.

dan

19. patnewmex

patnewmex Jane of all trades

I have been having that as a recurring dream for carp sake! My hubby is a major packrat and makes every room a chaotic mess. I DREAM of chucking it all and really seeing what it is we NEED to survivie.

I wish :sing:

Let me know if you do it and how successful it was!

(I'm roooting for you!)

Pat
    PS if it didn't cost an arm/leg for a dumpster.......

20. Laura

Laura Well-Known Member

I am planning on doing this next summer if and when my imaginary addition is finished, then I can use the two canopies that are protecting lumber to shelter my furniture.

When the deep cleaning is done, the creative home decorating party starts with a bunch of super creative and talented bunch of women called the Junkyard Misfits who will have access to all my "junk" with supplies, paint, lumber, tools and whatever and redocorate the place with me. I will hire strong young men for the heavy lifting and we can boss them around. Whatever is left will be divvied up between them or hauled off. I will supply them with good food, refreshments and outstanding trips to the beaches.