Would this be big enough for birth pin ?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by bumpus, Oct 8, 2005.

1. bumpus

bumpus Well-Known Member

Would a holding pin measuring 4ft x 4ft in a barn, be big enough for a brush goat to have her babies in when they are born.

If not, how big will it have to be ?

bumpus

2. trnubian

trnubian Twin-Reflection Nubians

I don't know how big a brush goat is. i would makeyour pen at least 5x5 if I were you. It really depends on how big they are. My goats (Nubians) are about 130-200 pounds. We don't use kidding stalls at all though. We feel it's better for them to be left with the herd in their regular pens (as long as there is shelter available). This way older does can help clean up the kids. Also, when the doe is put back in, there is no fight for the original pecking order.

3. dlangland

dlangland dlangland

You have to have enough room for the goat to be able to move/turn comfortably. I agree with the above. My girls were inseperable...could hear them yelling all the way from the barn to the house if one was quarantined from the other for any reason, even though they could still see each other, so I quit trying. Because of coyotes, mine had to be put in the barn nightly anyway, but just in a large mass pen.