Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Angie, just go ahead and remove this if you think it isn't right for me to suggest it - and if anyone else wants to weigh in on it, go ahead.

I work in a used bookstore that has about 200,000 volumes at any time and a turnover of several thousand a week. We often get books that would be of interest to S&EP folk (it's Ernie's post about writing articles that made me think of this; I think we've got multiple titles on all of the subjects he's mentioned). People bring in truckloads of books, literally, all the time. Prices are very reasonable.

How would you feel if I posted, once a month or so, a list of the survival / homesteading / self-sufficiency titles that have just come in? If anyone wanted one, you could pm me and I would, in return, contact you privately with the price, shipping, and info about how to order. (Or if you all think it would be okay, I'd post the price when I list the title.) I would not, personally, make a dime from the transaction, I'd just be the middleman. I just like to see books go to the right homes.

Good idea? Bad idea? Once a month, more often, less often? Post prices, or not? I'm happy with whatever the consensus is.

kate

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
I think Great Idea. And I think posting the prices would be fine.

What a generous offer.

Angie

·
Registered
13,422 Posts
You may have heard a small, childlike squeal of joy when used books for sale was mentioned, but it wasn't me. No, solid, staid, dignified, and solemn me would certainly not be squealing over books. Nope. Not me.

·
Premium Member
5,081 Posts
I think we were doing a duet Chickenista, lol. That would be WONDERFUL! There's only one decent used book store here, and I've long ago cleared them out of anything along these lines, and they just don't seem to get any more. I've only bought one "homesteady/preparedness" type book there in the past two years. Yes, please! :)

Edited to add: Once a month would probably be good. That wouldn't take too much of your time, and posting the prices would make things a whole lot easier. Otherwise, you'd be getting lots of posts or PMs asking for prices, and it could get confusing for everyone concerned.

·
Premium Member
4,281 Posts
YES! YES! YES! Good idea. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
Plus 1,000!!!

This would be lovely! Once in a while I go into a local used book store looking for useful books, but seldom find what I'm looking for!

There are other books that I'd like to have, too, that aren't necessarily 'useful', just good reading. Would it be possible to post 'want' lists, and when something came in that was on a 'want' list, you could notify us? For example, I'd like to have some of the really good old children's books, and a complete set of Georgette Heyer's novels! I could make a really long list if I sat down and thought about it -- you should see my wish list at Amazon!

Your book store could probably do good business here!

Kathleen

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
Wow, what a nice thing to do! Thanks to Angie for allowing it too! I'm always looking for new S&EP type books...and mostly I get them used from Amazon. But even that isn't cheap, with $3.99 shipping on each book.

Can't wait to see the titles!

·
Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs
3,736 Posts
Happy squeeks in the north too...

After all (she said looking very serious) books make good insulation..

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What great responses! Glad to know I didn't over-step with the original suggestion.

Several people have sent me private messages asking for specific books, and I'm happy to look for them on your behalf. I will let a few days' worth of requests pile up, then spend some time at the store searching, and I'll respond to everyone's request on the same afternoon, instead of doing them one at a time. And no, the titles don't have to be homesteading-related. The store has a huge range of paperback and hardback fiction and cookbooks and just about everything else you can imagine. From reading the messages in my mailbox, I now realize how many people live a distance from a good used bookstore. And this is an excellent one, run by a wonderful woman who has become a good friend. (And who may, somehow, slowly, be converted to 'our' way of thinking, although it's going to take baby steps.) Her husband's been laid off from his job and so their health insurance is on the line now, and if I can match people here up with books they want and help her out a little at the same time, it's well worth the effort.

Look forward to the first list of titles and prices Monday evening, and if you've sent me a pm, I'll be getting back to you in a few days with a specific answer. My work schedule there is totally flexible based on demands here at my farm, so I'll be able to spend time on this through the winter, and probably less once it's spring. I'll post a list in the first week of every month, but feel free to send me a message if you are looking for something specific.

(And yes, I know about the R-value of books, since they line every wall in my house!)

kate

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I think it's a great idea. I work in a library, and by my moniker you can assume the value I place on printed material.

May I also suggest that people look at alibris.com? It's an online used book store and I often get great deals there. Since I get discounts everywhere for being an employee of a public library, that's something to say.

I picked up a copy of Carla Emery's Encyclopedia for $1.29 plus shipping a couple of years ago!

·
Registered
13,422 Posts
My wife and I have recently discovered Smartflix.com, which is another source of great how-to stuff. Not as good as books, but a great supplement! Sometimes things you read a dozen times you still don't understand until you see someone do it.

·
Level II -Inappropriate
3,158 Posts
Up to a few months ago I was buying and reading the Re-release of the Out of The Ashes Series and then poof..Walmart quit carrying it. I couldn't wait till the next month to read the next book I think I got to the 7th book out of 31. I miss the adventures of Ben Raines..lol

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
To add to what Ernie said, I've found some great short videos (matches my attention span) on YouTube. I once had someone explain to me how to card wool but just couldn't quite figure it out, and found a video that made it all clear. I was too dumb to set up the borrowed egg turner for the incubator, but looked one up and found a short video of hatching eggs, and suddenly it all made sense. There's ones for butchering, canning, and all sorts of things. As book-oriented as I am, sometimes seeing it 'live' makes things crystal clear.

I have discovered one huge downside to offering to search our store for requested books - you're all sending me lists with titles that look very, very intriguing.

kate

·
AFKA ZealYouthGuy
11,454 Posts
Well, I just want to register a complaint.

I think that you shouldn't post the books and shouldn't post the prices...

...until you've sent the list to me first to cherry-pick.

:D

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
Now I see where I could pull a distinct advantage of having to see the list first to approve it :) before it could be posted. You know, that big bad Mod power thing.! :)

Angie :p

·
Registered
491 Posts
Even though I probably have a hundred or so prep related books, I would be interested in your offer as well. Thank you!

This would be lovely! Once in a while I go into a local used book store looking for useful books, but seldom find what I'm looking for!
Kathleen, if you ever find yourself in Eugene, stop by the Smith Family Bookstore on Willamette Street. It's two floors of books but you have to dig through shelves to discover the hidden treasures. They have the books organized by topic but they don't keep an inventory.

If you go to the top floor in the far right room, you will find all sorts of good prep related books. And their room with cookbooks is to die for! I much prefer used books to new books so this place is a goldmine (obviously Powell's is to but they are an organized goldmine).

·
Canning Crazy
2,332 Posts
What a great idea! And very generous too =) Thank you!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts