would sheep work?

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by mberryrfd, Apr 9, 2006.

1. mberryrfd

mberryrfd Well-Known Member

We have about a 1.5 acre piece that is an orchard that we are trying to save (it was neglected while house was empty) and I know goats would be to destructive but sheep I dont know about.
    Do they eat trees?
    if we do decide to get some we wouldnt be interested in shearing so what bred would be good?

2. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

Oye, yes, they love trees! Dolly will nearly climb the apple trees in search of tasty branches, leaves and fruit. The others are currently 'pruning' the undersides of the conifers in their newly fenced pasture. You'd need to put cages around your trees if you had sheep out there.

3. wooly1s

wooly1s Well-Known Member

They LOVE trees! Agree with Kesoaps...cage those trees. Ours do it just for variety, and nothing makes a better scratching post than a defoiliated tree. Your cages need to be as tall as your tallest sheep on its tippie toes of the hind legs, or the smallest sheep standing on another sheeps back...no kidding.
    As far as type of sheep...we raise Soays. No shearing - they shed. Really! If you really get a hankering for fiber, you can pluck it off of them or the fences when that time rolls along...
    Have fun!

4. dcross

dcross Well-Known Member Supporter

Aren't there breeds of sheep that are considered "less" destructive for orchards? What about fainting goats?

5. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

My experience is limited, but the sheep I know love fruit trees. As stated, Dolly will climb the tree, lol! I've got four breeds out there and not a one would pass up a fruit tree.

6. mberryrfd

well then sheep are out the question
    looks like it will the lawn mower to keep the grass down

7. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

Yep, my sheep are just as fond of trees as the goats are. The only difference between them is I haven't had to rescue a sheep after they climbed into the tree to get a particularly tasty apple (the ones hanging in reach were just not good enough).

8. mberryrfd

Well like I said back to the original plan the ol push mower for now. I already keep the goats and horses out of it. Currently 2 ducks and soon some guinea for insect and bird patrol

9. fricknfarm

fricknfarm Well-Known Member

A couple of geese might help too.

10. Celtic_Knot

Celtic_Knot Celtic Heritage Farms

I'd throw something bigger out there like a docile cow or a couple of horses(given there's not fruit on the trees.)

11. mberryrfd

my horses like the taste of wood and leaves to much.Maybe I will get a few geese to

12. Slev

Slev Well-Known Member Supporter

You could look at those babydoll sheep, they are short, but have wool. You could also look into one of those mini cows. Myself, i think i'd be asking what type of trees you have? I mean, is it that big of a deal if the sheep take out some ofthe lower branches? Unless you have very short trees?

13. dcross

dcross Well-Known Member Supporter