Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What thought do any of you have on the Smith & Wesson MP45?
Been thinking about picking one up. I do like the idea of a 10 round .45 (the max NY allows).
The .45 is a pretty good defensive round if needed.
Also thoughts on the striker fired semi auto.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
9,109 Posts
I like striker fired semi auto very much trigger can be decent and the same shot to shot.

the S&W M&P are good guns , they can fit the hand very well

normally I favor 9mm because people are more likely to practice with it when ammo cost is nearly half.

at no point does a bad shot with a 9mm .355" really become a good shot with a 45acp .451" a difference of 0.096"

if it won't reduce how much you practice and you can shoot it well , 45 is a good round.

10 round max stinks , it is like a half empty pistol , but it is what it is living where you do.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I've got a couple M&Ps, both 5" Pro models in 9mm.

One is kept set up as my HD pistol with light/laser and the other is more of a loaner gun. I used to shoot it in both IDPA (SSP) and 3 gun matches, but have moved on to a CZ from the custom shop. Neither of mine have given me a problem in thousands of rounds each. My loaner gun get's cleaned whenever I get around to it, I just keep adding a couple drops of oil to the rails. Honestly it's one of the more reliable designs going. It's also very ergonomic and somewhat adjustable with the backstraps.

The trigger, like any trigger, takes a little getting used to. The stock trigger is perfectly serviceable and the 2.0 series is greatly improved as it's the same trigger that's in my Pro models. Some guys biatch about the "hinge" in the M&P trigger, but I've never even noticed it while shooting. There are a couple pretty good trigger conversions available for the M&Ps that convert from DA to SA and a very 1911 like trigger, but I've never played with them. They would have put me into ESP (enhanced Service Pistol) with the 9mm 1911 guys and I was shooting SSP (Stock Service Pistol) at the time.

Not going to get into the 9mm VS .45ACP debate, really is a personal choice. IF I was stuck with a 10rd capacity, I'd probably still go with 9mm, just because it's easier to shoot well/fast and cheaper to practice with. I do still have a couple 1911's and an HK45T (10rds) in .45, but they don't get out much. I go through about 20K in pistol rds a year between matches and practice and the savings with 9mm VS .45 bullets adds up.

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Went out shopping today.
Picked up a MP.45 2.0, Ruger ec9s in 9mm, and a used Ruger Mark 1 .22.
Next week my wife is going on vacation with her sister for a week and a half while I stay home and work, take care of the dogs and the garden.
Fair is fair.

·
Super Moderator
9,109 Posts
nice choices
I carry the LC9 the same basic gun, the EC9s is the striker fired budget version.
which had thy made it in 2012 I would have purchased , the LC9 I wanted when I compromised on the one I have came out in 2014 the LC9s-PRO

it is very pocket carry able with a .060 kydex pocket holster

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That was my plan. My daughter has one and when it slipped easily into my front pocket I figured I wanted one.

·
Registered
7,809 Posts
My son in law has a S&W MP40.
It is a snappy gun.
I prefer 45s and keeping my calibers to a minimum, but his gun feels good in the hand and runs smooth.

·
Super Moderator
9,109 Posts
What the hell happened to this site????????.
I can't do crap.
What happened to the "dark room"?
This sucks.
they updated / upgraded

I don't care for the look , doesn't show as much info on the main screen but have figured out most things.
I do like the dark mode option , white text on a black screen.

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I figured the site out.
Really don't care for it.
I will finally get to go to the range today and they these things out.
Pretty excited about the .45.
I do a lot of restarted and the MP.45 scored pretty high.

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
back from the range.
MP.45 was outstanding. Very accurate and the ergonomics were incredible. It really tamed the recoil.
The Ruger ec9 worked very well.
Nowhere near as accurate but I was shooting at 10 yds.
Tends to hit 3" below point of aim.
keep in mind I am not to experienced with handguns and I think after a few thousand rounds I will get better.
I did learn that I can burn up $50 worth of ammo in no time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts