Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have rather fallen in love with this breed. They seem to be so completely well grounded. I met a female Akbash the other day when I was picking up a peacock from a friends. The dog was gentle and easily came to say hello to me. She was a real love bug. Are they good companions and guard dogs both?

Thanks...

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've never met one. What did the owners say about the breed? I'd ask them or seek out breeders to talk to. The only LGDs I've known of near where I live have been Great Pyrenees, Anatolian shepherd, or a cross of those two breeds.

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've never met one. What did the owners say about the breed? I'd ask them or seek out breeders to talk to. The only LGDs I've known of near where I live have been Great Pyrenees, Anatolian shepherd, or a cross of those two breeds.
The owners were very positive about pretty much everything she did, except the being really friendly with most people who came to their house. To me, that was one of the nicer things about that dog! Besides her being beautiful and hanging out with the lone sheep on the place, they also have over a 1000 fowl of all different kinds, from large Cranes to Guins, Peacocks, etc, that bird didn't even bat an eye at any one of them, and they had gotten her at over a year old.

Thanks for your response:)

·
Premium Member
9,095 Posts
We had one that was a 1/4GP/Akbash mix. The breed more aloof than the GP, and more protective. Take all the wonderful traits of lgd breeds and intensify the protection aspect. That kind of describes these dogs. They just have a more intense protection attitude, and are harder than GP. At least that was our experience. And she was larger than the GPs we had too.

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How odd, this female was just as sweet and friendly as can be!! Ok, thanks for the heads up!

·
Banned
1,185 Posts
I do not believe mine is a good guard dog. He's 2 now, and while he barks at things when he's inside, he appears to love everything outside, even things that aren't ours and I'd like him to chase off. He's awesome with the kids though! A very good playmate for them, though he is the least intelligent dog we own which gets him into trouble. Plus he's not as patient as our GP. Our GP is just the best guard ever and incredible with the kids. Sparta (akbash) is now a hugely large family pet. We've taken him to the park several times and he's done very well. He's not the fondest of other dogs but I think that's more that the other dogs he's met have all barked and growled at him. He's a great boy! Just not a farm dog for us.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ah, now see, that's more like the female I met the other day. A great, big, love bug of a girl, who will bark if she has to, but really rather enjoys all things life:)

Thanks for the input:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts