Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog had two random puking episodes last night. Second one without a lot of food in it - and it smelled VILE.

This morning I found a sad litle tree frog in the bathroom. I think it may have been a green tree frog, though it was muddy colored. Do they exude any toxins? Could that be the dog barf culprit?

Just curious.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,422 Posts
Could be. Frogs and toads (especially toads) maintain a series of toxins to ward off predators. I've always considered being poisonous to be a particularly strange evolutionary feature ... why develop a defense mechanism that only works AFTER you've been consumed?

Dog will probably be ok. My dog consumed a large number of toads/frogs in her lifetime, being the slow learner that she was, and still lived to the ripe old age of 14.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Forgot to add - dog seems fine today.
I looked up local frogs on a website but not one said anything about toxicity.

...I almost licked the frog myself, just to see. There may be something wrong with me. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
486 Posts
Yes, frogs and toads can exude toxins that will make your dog puke, seen that a few times, ususally the dogs learn to sniff and just leave them alone after a time or two...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,184 Posts
I saw something on NPR's website once about a dog that was addicted to licking the frogs in the pond near the house, can't find the link anymore but if I remember right they finally broke the dog of the frog licking habit.

Margie
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh-- I saw the NPR story, too. Someone posted it when I asked about my other dog eating lots of Junebugs.

We have some weird dogs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,735 Posts
our vet says if they lick/eat a frog they may become sick on the stomach, foam at the mouth, and generally feel lousy. Wears off after a day or two.
 

·
Unapologetically me
Joined
·
20,815 Posts
I don't know about dogs, but just the thought of licking a toad makes me sick. :help:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,825 Posts
why develop a defense mechanism that only works AFTER you've been consumed?

because those critters who do not instinctivly avoid them, consume them, and die, will not pass on their genes afterward. taking one for the team :) such honorable little buggers. also many are toxic or nasty tasting enough that it only takes a taste to ward of any further munching, at least they have a hope of surviving the attack and those predators who are capable will teach their offspring to avoid them.
 

·
Waste of bandwidth
Joined
·
10,618 Posts
Keep an eye on the news.

When Lindsay Lohan bails out of another rehab joint, there might be a space for your dog.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
655 Posts
I know it probably wasn't meant to, but this subject header literally made me LOL!! :rotfl: Thanks for the laugh!

And I am glad to hear your pooch seems to feel better!!!

:)
Shawna
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
12,448 Posts
BlueHeronFarm said:
Forgot to add - dog seems fine today.
I looked up local frogs on a website but not one said anything about toxicity.

...I almost licked the frog myself, just to see. There may be something wrong with me. :)
Frog licker.
Don't know if that would be called a compliment or an insult.
Now I am curious. I say go for it. Please post the results.
 

·
bunny slave
Joined
·
4,389 Posts
I double-frog dare you!
 

·
CF, Classroom & Books Mod
Joined
·
9,934 Posts
Well, toxins or not, I'm pretty sure that licking a frog would make *ME* barf, so I would assume that it could do the same to a dog.

Guess it would depend on the dog. Mine just ate a dead mouse of dubious vintage after DH took a pass through some longer grass with the riding mower. She was trailing after him and found this particular delicacy and spent half an hour chewing on it in the yard. She is *NOT* coming in the house right now :grump:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
490 Posts
in the 80s, had a lab mix, that was with me in yard. She staggered up to me (scared me!) and immediately fell over, and had some kind of fit. I called vet, and his receptionist cracked up laughing. I couldn't figure out how my distress about goofy dog was so hilarious. Then she said, 'did she LICK A TOAD?!?HAW HAW HAWH . . . . .' I did see a small toad right behind my chair before the whole thing started . . . and finally the vet came on the phone & explained that on some hospital show previous night, (St Elsewhere? or some show) a person had been admitted high on toad sweat. A toad licker . . . . He couldn't contain himself. I was miffed, because I couldn't figure out why they were laughing, and didn't tell me to rush my dog in immediately.
I dont know about tree frogs. Please, keep your tongue in your mouth. . . . save it for your SO.
Sherry
 
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Top