Would it work?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Kazahleenah, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Kazahleenah

Kazahleenah Disgruntled citizen

To cut a toilet paper roll in half and use them as seed starting pots? Would they break down like peat pots? (don't ask where this idea occoured to me) lol

Kaza

2. Steph in MT

Steph in MT Well-Known Member

I tried it this year and it worked great. Just lined a bunch of them up in some glass baking dishes, filled them with potting soil and planted my seeds. I'm already saving rolls for nest year. :) I liked it a lot better than the plastic seed starting trays.
    Steph

3. Kazahleenah

Kazahleenah Disgruntled citizen

Did you remove the plant/dirt for planting, or put the roll and all in the ground? Did they break down well?

Kaza

4. Steph in MT

They were starting to unravel by the time I planted them so I easily unrolled the tubes and planted.
    Steph

5. hisenthlay

hisenthlay a.k.a. hyzenthlay

I did the same thing this year too, and it worked perfectly. Mine also unraveled, so I didn't plant them with the seedlings. I got the idea from a post on this board :goodjob:

6. amwitched

amwitched Well-Known Member

I used them this year to protect my tomato seedlings when I transplanted them. When I look down at the base of my plants, I can still see them. Some have started to unravel and others still look whole. Very sturdy. I will be using them this coming year for my seedlings, too.

7. Nan

Nan Well-Known Member

Do you all use the whole roll or do you cut it in half? If so....how do you cut it so that it doesn't smush down. Or do you cut it and fold it back out? Sounds like a good cheap way of starting seeds!

8. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

If you aren't going to use spent toilet paper tubes for seed starting containers, remember they also make perfect cutworm collars for your tomato or cabbage type transplants.

9. Steph in MT

Nan,
    I just poked a hole with my scissors in the middle of the roll and cut around the roll. I also used paper towel rolls and just cut in thirds. I liked it because the rolls absorbed the water quickly when I watered my seedlings and it was easy to tell when they dried out. :)
    Steph

10. hisenthlay

hisenthlay a.k.a. hyzenthlay

I cut it in half (paper towel ones in quarters). I just squished it down to cut, then bent it back into shape.