Would a sheep work for me?

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by naturewoman, Apr 13, 2006.

1. naturewoman

naturewoman Well-Known Member

I have two goats, that I use for brush clearing (and some day for milk and cheese again), but can't let them get near my gardens. When I had a horse, she used to mow my grass, and never messed with my gardens, but I don't really have room for a full-sized horse. I'd like to get a miniature horse or a sheep to run free and mow my lawns. I'd be interested in getting into spinning some day too, if I had a good fiber animal.

I may eventually breed my does to fiber males and see if I can get some fiber from them as well. Would a sheep work for a lawn mower, or would it also eat things in the garden, like the goats do? Would a single sheep be happy with goats for companions? If a sheep would work, what is the best fiber sheep out there. I'd be interested in making hooked rugs with the wool, and also knitting with it. I would want it to be a really soft wool.

Thanks for any advice.

2. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

:rolleyes: :p
    The garden is the favorite place of my sheep! They prefer brussel sprouts, but once those tastey little cabbages are downed, nearly everything is up for grabs! Pumpkins, greens, corn...just about everything but the onions, radishes and tomotos have been lost to lambs here!

3. naturewoman

naturewoman Well-Known Member

Thanks Kesoaps...I guess that rules that idea out! :D