would a companion calm a wild ram down?

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by russellsmom, Apr 30, 2006.

1. russellsmom

russellsmom Well-Known Member

Our ram is wild, if you try to get within 25 ft or so he's off and running. What I would like to know is if he has a tame wether in with him, will he calm down some or will his wildness just rub off on the younger wether?
    I don't mind his being so wild, but it is terribly difficult trying to move him to different areas. I was kind of hoping if he had a people friendly wether for a best buddy, he would follow the wether wherever I wanted them both to be.

I know my goat wether is better than a herding dog for bringing in the other goats. He'll bring the other goats in from far ends of the pasture if he even so much as thinks I'll give him a treat (and I almost always do).

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I'm sure its worked somewhere, I'd have to say the wild ones untame the nice ones as much as they're affected by the calm wethers. Your tame wether will still come for treats but he'll end up bolting with the ram first!

3. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

I noticed that when I seperated the ram from the ewes, the ram was very agitated, and remained that way for a couple of weeks after going back with the ewes. Last year, I kept him with his two sons, not wethered. He was much calmer and less territorial. Herd animals do not feel secure all alone, so, is he all alone?

4. Philip

Philip Philip

Yes, running a single ram with wethers does the biz. Ours usually runs with a few wether hoggets which we slaughter through the year as required until the ram goes back in with the ewes, the last couple of wethers bite the dust and the cycle starts all over again with the previous years wether lambs. We found that having more than one ram for only 25-30 ewes was a pain during tupping as they were so busy fighting over the girls

5. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Yes, definately run a wether with him. My present ram was as mad as a meat axe when he came here but after a few months running with my pet wether he will now eat nuts out of my hand. That was a bit more than I was aiming for but at least I can now move him in the right direction. Rams always benefit from company so even if there isn't a sheep available, a pig or cow will often help quieten them down.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

6. russellsmom

russellsmom Well-Known Member

He is by himself in the pasture, however his pasture is situated so he can see the girls and other livestock pretty much wherever he goes. He's just not on the same side of the fence with them.
    He doesn't act like he's upset where he's at now. He only gets agitated if a person tries to go near him.
    Having him in with the girls last fall didn't help, but then again, my girls were none too friendly either. They were wild when I got them and the one tamed down enough to eat treats out of my hand, the other is still kind of wild.
    Their babies are tame, I have noticed though that if their mothers run they do too.
    I guess I can always try putting a wether in and if it doesn't work out the wether can be freezer fodder.

7. Philip

Philip Philip

Hahahaha - Ronney, I didn't check the name but as soon as I saw the 'mad as a meat axe' line I knew it had to be a fellow kiwi !!!! Long time no see

8. John Hill

John Hill Grand Master

Now on this very subject, this evening's NZ TV shows the SPCA catching and shearing a wether which has been running with a half dozen heifers for some time.

This guy has evaded shearing for about three years and was getting heat stressed. Those cows protected him when they tried to catch him! Ha, but they got him and a short while later he was rather denuded. When they released him he shot away from their hold and nearly spooked the heifers with his new appearance but a few sniffs and they were convinced.

Then he headed off for the far distance and those cows all followed meekly along behind. He really is leader of that pack! Perrindale I think.